Them hockey-mom clothes are expensive.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dawp
So after she loses, does she get to keep 'em?
No they are going to be donated to the Center for Women with Eating Disorders.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I can't stand Palin but I'm not sure why this is newsworthy. If the RNC wants to waste their money on clothes for her and/or her family let them. If people have a problem with it they can choose to not donate to the RNC.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Robor
I can't stand Palin but I'm not sure why this is newsworthy. If the RNC wants to waste their money on clothes for her and/or her family let them. If people have a problem with it they can choose to not donate to the RNC.
If they can spend campaign money like this, imagine what they'll do with taxpayer money.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

BUT I DON'T THINK JOE THE PLUMBER SPENDS $150,000 ON HIS WARDROBE.

:p

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

I think when you spend $150k+ on clothes and represent the candidate as Mrs. Down-to-Earth Joe Six-Pack Hockey Mom it's probably newsworthy - especially when people are losing their jobs, homes and retirement savings in an economic downturn ...

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

I think when you spend $150k+ on clothes and represent the candidate as Mrs. Down-to-Earth Joe Six-Pack Hockey Mom it's probably newsworthy - especially when people are losing their jobs, homes and retirement savings in an economic downturn ...

What a bunch of double standard bullshit, if we are going down this road then why not talk of all the donation money that Obama is flushing down the toilet on his record breaking ad spending when he could in fact be donating that money to charity....

In fact, how much money did Obama donate to charity after his wife got a massive pay increase??

It is a campaign, both sides will spend money to make their candidate look better...I remember the year clinton got like an 800 haircut...it is just how the game is played

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: bozack

What a bunch of double standard bullshit, if we are going down this road then why not talk of all the donation money that Obama is flushing down the toilet on his record breaking ad spending when he could in fact be donating that money to charity....

In fact, how much money did Obama donate to charity after his wife got a massive pay increase??

It is a campaign, both sides will spend money to make their candidate look better...I remember the year clinton got like an 800 haircut...it is just how the game is played
Also keep in mind it's not cheap to dress a shrill Harpy so all her sharp edges aren't visible.

teiresias

Oct 16, 1999

Well, you really can't call on Obama to donate money to charity that was given to him by donors (both large and small) explicitly for use in his campaign. People aren't giving him money to turn around and give to charity, so it's hardly worthwhile to sit here and chide him for "flushing" campaign funds down the toilet by buying campaign ads.

Furthermore, I'm sure you were this upset when the Republicans were having a hissy fit over John Edwards $400 haircut - right?

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: teiresias
Furthermore, I'm sure you were this upset when the Republicans were having a hissy fit over John Edwards $400 haircut - right?
So, you're suggesting that 400 is about the same 150,000? Hopefully, you don't earn a living with numbers...

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

The reason McCain most likely will lose is related to your ad hom hyperbole.

Regardless of our individual 'partisan' blinders presidential elections always come down to the independent 'middle' and driving your base to the polls.

McCain did not 'have' the base until he selected Palin and it is clear that his relationship with his base is tenuous at best. He has continued to fight to hold his base and can't make a move to the middle as is typical in the general election.

For all the 'huffing and puffing' that you and McCain are engaging in, all you are accomplishing is further alienating the 'middle' and the independents. I'm sorry you can't see that.

There are a fair number of folks around here (I'm one of them) who were big McCain supporters in 2000. I'm sorry you can't see the changes in McCain since then.

What people see is hypocrisy and pandering - and the overwhelming majority of it is coming from McCain/Palin. What you may feel is 'Straight Talk' we see as 'Double Talk'.

Once again, you don't hold a candidate up as ""Mrs. Down-to-Earth Joe Six-Pack Hockey Mom"" to women in this country and expect not get spanked when you are buying $10,000 outfits for her.

That ain't the women who supported Hill, and that definitely ain't the women of your base.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Also keep in mind it's not cheap to dress a shrill Harpy so all her sharp edges aren't visible.
You are correct. See 8 years in the 90's + 08 democrat primary for another example. Speaker of the House comes to mind too!

Hugh H

Jul 11, 2008

I see Obama spending the campaing money just as his donors wanted him to spend it.... in advertisments for the campaign and making sure he is elected, not for charity. I am not sure this 150k for Ms. Palin's wardrobe will improve her chances of winning the election.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

When you can provide proof that Obama or Biden spent $150k on clothes I'll give you a :cookie:.

And campaign funds con only be spent on certain items, and i don't think clothes are one of them, thou I could be wrong.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: Hugh H

I see Obama spending the campaing money just as his donors wanted him to spend it.... in advertisments for the campaign and making sure he is elected, not for charity. I am not sure this 150k for Ms. Palin's wardrobe will improve her chances of winning the election.

This.

teiresias

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Originally posted by: teiresias
So, you're suggesting that 400 is about the same 150,000? Hopefully, you don't earn a living with numbers...

What are you talking about? He made some hyperbole-filled claim trying to justifying the 150k and in the process brought up some haircut Bill Clinton got. I just find it odd how the Republicans think this $150k on wardrobe isn't a big deal but got all into a hissy fit over Edwards' $400 haircut - yes, especially considering the price differential.