theInq: R600 a soundcard too?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I don't know who is the fool that started this sound card crap, but that is false. Its only a Pass thru. its not gonna replace the sound card in your rig, and its not competition for Creative. That is just total nonsense.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
I don't care, being a gamer.

I also don't care, seeing as I hate technology and companies that try their best to limit my use of the products I buy. DRM and HDCP can blow me, along with every company supporting it.

Anti-consumer to the MAX.

Also, my X-fi works, I don't understand why you guys are all up in arms about it's "crappy drivers". I just installed it, installed drivers, turned my sound quality to ultra high in my games and it works perfectly. X-fi rocks, IMO.

liquid51

Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: manowar821

I also don't care, seeing as I hate technology and companies that try their best to limit my use of the products I buy. DRM and HDCP can blow me, along with every company supporting it.

Also, my X-fi works, I don't understand why you guys are all up in arms about it's "crappy drivers". I just installed it, installed drivers, turned my sound quality to ultra high in my games and it works perfectly. X-fi rocks, IMO.

qtf, word for word.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: manowar821

Creative = Crappy Drivers

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: sm8000
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: videopho
Originally posted by: Mem
More competition for Creative,good in my books,lets hope its a decent competitor.

Who knows? It may be a long shot but AMD may eventually acquire Creative Lab in order to eliminate the competition all together.

Not likely, AMD is already in significant debt after building new fab plants and acquiring ATI. Although an Nvidia purchase of Creative Labs semiconductor business would be interesting.

I wonder what would happen to 3Dlabs then.

They probably would be included in a semiconductor asset purchase, my guess is that a few of the things would end up in the Quadro line with the actual AiB maker part (sound card and video card) from Creative being spun off or sold.

I really doubt nvidia would want to make their own cards after what happened to 3dfx (alienating their AiB makers).

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
didn't nvidia make soundstorm for the Nforce2

nice sound chip .... made their MB a bit more expensive

they originally planned to offer it across all platforms

--but they never went any further with it

political or economic reasons?
:confused:

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Finally i can send audio to my monitor with the r600... wait what? Wtf is the point of that?
And before you mention avr's, how many avr's are smart enough to output TrueHD rather then mix it down to pcm?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i am very afraid that as AMD adds *bells & whistles* to ATi's r600 .... they are completely losing sight of it's purpose - as a video card for gamers

you can have all that rehashed AiW crap
--it didn't sell for a reason :p

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
On the one hand, this is kind of stupid. I don't see the point of integrated sound for most gamers on the top-end R600.

On the other hand, for HTPC's, this is a huge boon. I can see this being a major selling point for the lower-end R6xx cards due to their native HDMI support w/ surround sound.