The year is almost 2008

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
As I've said all along, HD is here, it's real, and it is spectacular.

As predicted HD sets are in the majority of households. It's not surprising that 1080p displays are the majority of sets offered.

Let us hail HDTV and let us enjoy it for all it's beauty in full 1080 glory!
:beer:

Oct 25, 2006
Don't they have a TV that has several times more pixels than a 1080P TV? That said, I cab;t wait to get my PS3 so I can watch Blu Ray movies on it with my shiny 61 " Samsung DLP LED.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Mine's 1080i, I can't tell the difference.

The whole 1080i vs 720p debate was settled a long time ago.

The year is 2008. 1080 IS HDTV. Most all programming is in 1080.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
I just recently upgraded TVs to a 720p and that was because I didn't feel like moving my CRT from AL to OH...I'm the only person I know with a HDTV.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Feldenak
I just recently upgraded TVs to a 720p and that was because I didn't feel like moving my CRT from AL to OH...I'm the only person I know with a HDTV.

:confused:

The majority of households own a HDTV?

Year is 2008. All prime time broadcasting and most sporting events are HD. Why not enjoy it?

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I went nuts this year, 2 1080P's (61 & 47 inch) and a 720P 32 inch set.

I use all of them as PC monitors, and have a dual tuner HTPC with Vista/Media Center on the 61" set, watching Spiderman II from OTA recording now, it's freaking spectacular...

I live 10 miles from the antenna farm for my metro area, and put up an attic antenna a couple of years ago :D

Best part is that you get a beautiful signal for free :thumbsup:

Death to SD TV :thumbsdown:

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Feldenak

:confused:

The majority of households own a HDTV?

Year is 2008. All prime time broadcasting and most sporting events are HD. Why not enjoy it?

Well, the TVs they have work perfectly fine. Why get rid of a functional piece of equipment to upgrade a shiny new toy. Hell, if I wasn't lazy and moved that unwieldy CRT I'd still not have HDTV.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
As I've said all along, HD is here, it's real, and it is spectacular.

As predicted HD sets are in the majority of households. It's not surprising that 1080p displays are the majority of sets offered.

Let us hail HDTV and let us enjoy it for all it's beauty in full 1080 glory!
:beer:

majority of households = 51% or higher.

http://www.eventdv.net/Article...e.aspx?ArticleID=39288

" The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) predicts 16 million high-definition televisions (HDTV) will sell in 2007 bringing the total number of HDTVs sold in the U.S. to 52.5 million. Thirty percent of U.S. households now have an HDTV, likely rising to 36 percent by the end of this year."

http://broadcastengineering.co...dtv_owners/index1.html

"I know if you were to take one HD set sale to one HD household and project those numbers out, you might come up with a 30 or 35 percent figure. We see a lot of HD households buying their second and, in some cases, their third HD set. So, a fair amount of the sales right now are going on to current HD owners. I don?t know to what degree they take that overlap into account."

Maybe 25-36% = majority if you lack an education. HD IS wonderful, but it's not in the majority of homes yet.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I don't have one yet, my 4 year old SD 36" works just fine, thanks. HD will eventually
be in most homes but it's nowhere near that yet..

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

I use all of them as PC monitors, and have a dual tuner HTPC with Vista/Media Center on the 61" set, watching Spiderman II from OTA recording now, it's freaking spectacular...

I live 10 miles from the antenna farm for my metro area, and put up an attic antenna a couple of years ago :D

: drool;

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Sadly, we have 3 HDTV's in our household. The wife told me no more TV's!! I have one SD left hanging from the garage ceiling that I need to change out to an LCD sometime :D

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Sadly, we have 3 HDTV's in our household. The wife told me no more TV's!! I have one SD left hanging from the garage ceiling that I need to change out to an LCD sometime :D

We have two and I'll probably sell the bigger one (Toshiba 27") or "gift" it to a family member.

Our faithful Apex 13" is worth about $5 so we'll probably keep it just for the hell of it.

OUCaptain

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
I made the jump last year. No freakin way will I ever own an SD tv again. Not even a small one for the kitchen. It would be like going back to VHS or dial-up internet.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX

Got my patch cords & splitter today so I have both tuners up & running now... :p

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003

Got my patch cords & splitter today so I have both tuners up & running now... :p

Well, you don't have to rub it in. :p

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

If you'd quit turning down my marriage proposals it could all be yours, you dark skinned siren you...

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003

If you'd quit turning down my marriage proposals it could all be yours, you dark skinned siren you...

Fine. I'll marry you. But the 61 will be my primary. ;)

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
My theory is that sometime in 2008 I will be tasked by my manager to buy an HD TV to replace the office analog TV that works just fine. I base this on my experience as being the person who was tasked to buy cell phones and plans for the forty folks in the office when I was the only employee who had never owned or used a cell phone at the time and on the fact that I don't have a TV. To me, 1080p and 1080i sound like models of dot matrix printers.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

It's big enough we can share... :D

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003

It's big enough we can share... :D

:D