THE WORKOUT THREAD: I want to get my dad a supplement.

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
My dad's birthday is in feb and I can tell that a protein supplement would be the perfect gift for him because he's been working out lately.

His stats:
51 years old
5'8"
140~ lbs
smokes
works out 2-3 times a week

I know he needs to quit the freaking smoking habit but he says he can't help it.

That being said, he wants to bulk up in a healthy way. Him being asian, it's really hard for him to get huge although he can get nice cuts and bulges here and there.

I've been telling him to eat a lot of tuna because a single can has about 40g of protein and it is fish protein which is generally good.

Now here are some questions I want to ask you guys:
1. I want the most natural protein suppliment. I've heard good things about Whey Protein. How are they and how are some other alternatives?
2. Is protein a good way to bulk up or is it a myth? What are some recommended nutritions and workout patterns to get huge?

keep in mind that he is 51 years old, smokes, and works out semi-seriously (just to see some result and stay healthy)

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: LOLyourFace
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
I'd be pissed if my son got me a protein supplement for my birthday.

um he asked me for one.

thats still a pretty lame b'day present, but

go with an optimum nutrition whey protein supplement. they taste the best.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
also, just by adding a protein supplement, a 51 year old man will have a hard time "getting huge". It will just be an easy way to get protein, so he doesn't start to lose his muscle.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I don't recommend he spend any money on supplements until he gets his diet in order. The only "supplement" he needs can be found at the grocery store in the form of lean meats, fish, chicken and veggies. All the protein powder in the world isn't going to do ah heck all if the rest of your diet is crap.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
search "whey" or "protein" here. Go with Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. Can be found on musclesurf, allsportsnutrition, and others.

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002
mmm nitro tech sold at most gnc stores isnt too bad and is pretty easy to get ahold of in case he likes it and wants to purchase more down the road.Its got some of the best tasting flavors too which isnt a huge deal but drink it everyday and it'll start to matter in a few weeks.Its usually a little more expensive than some of the other stuff on the net but IMO its worth it.

For natural eh again GNC is a good place to start they have their own brand and a few others but find a corporate store and they can answer some ?'s but alot of franchise stores dont hire ppl with sports background much less train on that.

Main thing to look for are the carbs stay away from ones with higher carbs as they will hurt him in keeping with the lean goal.Low carbs and a whey protein with a more detailed workout routine and he'll start to get to where he wants too.

se7en

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001
Are you sure whey won't give him gas? I seem to recall whey not being friendly towards those that are lactose intolerant.

dfi