Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I thought this column was interesting, from the San Francisco Chronicle:
The WMD Inspector No One Heeded
Harley Sorensen, Special to SF Gate
Monday, February 9, 2004

St. Matthew wrote: "A prophet is not without honor, save in his own country."

Rodney Dangerfield would have put it differently. He might have said, "They love me over there, but here at home I get no respect."

Scott Ritter is a prophet of sorts, and if we had listened to him and respected his intellect, knowledge and honesty, we could have avoided the war in Iraq and its cost in lives and dollars.

In September 2002, Time magazine asked Ritter whose Iraq policy was worse, Bill Clinton's or George W. Bush's. Ritter's response:

"Bush, because of its ramifications. It threatens a war that probably lacks any basis in law or substantive fact. It has a real chance of putting thousands of American lives at risk and seeks to dictate American will on the world."

Who is this Scott Ritter guy?

He's a former U.S. Marine Corps major and former United Nations weapons inspector in Iraq. He's the answer to the question of whether the Bushies knew before the war that Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction (WMD).

They knew, or could have known, and certainly should have known.

Before we attacked the Iraqi people, Ritter was often seen on television as a laughable "expert." The Fox News talking heads treated him as a lunatic. How could he be anything else when he disagreed with George W. Bush?

And Ritter has a temper, so that added to the fun. It was a treat to see him get all red faced and wonder when he'd explode.

It mattered not that Ritter was painfully honest and knew exactly what he was talking about.

A search through newspaper and magazine articles leading up to the war against Iraq leads me to these conclusions:

1) Bill Clinton was as concerned about Saddam Hussein as George W. Bush is, but less eager to risk American lives to deal with him. Unfortunately for all of us, the sexy impeachment fiasco pushed by the Republicans diverted our attention, so most of us weren't paying attention.

However, Ritter was far from happy with Clinton's support for the inspectors, or lack of it. In September 1998, he told Newsweek, "I heard somebody say it very effectively: '[Secretary of State] Madeleine Albright blocked more inspections in 1997 than Saddam Hussein did.' It's a funny quip, but unfortunately true."

2) The four days of intensive bombings ordered by Clinton at the end of 1998 probably taught Saddam that his efforts to acquire weapons of mass destruction weren't worth the cost. The economic sanctions imposed by the United Nations at the end of the first Gulf War were seriously crippling Iraq, and trying to acquire those weapons simply added to Saddam's misery. He gave up but pretended not to. Saving face is a big deal for dictators, as it is for all politicians (see: "Johnson, Lyndon B."; or "Nixon, Richard M."; or "Bush, George W.")

Those bombings and rocket attacks, by the way, just about matched the munitions thrown at Iraq during the Gulf War. Americans didn't pay much attention, however, and the Republicans accused Clinton of "wagging the dog," diverting attention from his political problems.

3) The "intelligence community" never said Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. In all the articles I read, the CIA and other agencies were very careful not to overstate the danger presented by Saddam.

For example, The Washington Post reported in November 2000, "The CIA does not agree that Iraq possesses a crude nuclear weapon. 'We don't believe they have the fissile material required for a nuclear weapon,' said one senior U.S. official. ... 'Nor do we believe they currently have the infrastructure to build a nuclear weapon.'"

4) In a related matter, Clinton was far more concerned about terrorist attacks against the United States than he was about the threat of Saddam. But he had a hard time selling his concern to others, even though he tried. He originated an antiterrorist agency in government in 1994 and increased its budget every year thereafter, from an original $5.7 billion reported in 1995 to $11.1 billion in 2000.

I was unable to find any antiterrorist actions by Bush before the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, but that doesn't mean he didn't do anything. It could be his efforts just didn't make the public prints, or that I couldn't find the articles about them.

5) Scott Ritter took part in more than 30 inspections missions in Iraq, and probably knew more about Iraq's WMD programs than anyone. The Iraqis were very annoyed with him and accused him and other inspectors of being spies. They were right; the inspectors were pressed into spying. That was a distraction for them.

6) As a U.N. inspector, Ritter was constantly unhappy with the Iraqis because they failed to destroy all their weapons. After the inspectors were pulled out of Iraq in 1998, Ritter appeared to change his tune, saying Iraq's weapons programs were no threat.

The difference, Ritter explained to the scoffers on TV, was that as an inspector, he expected total compliance and didn't get it. Later, as an outsider, he was able to say that even without total compliance Iraq, was no threat.

"I've never given Iraq a clean bill of health," Ritter told Time in September 2002. "I've said that no one has backed up any allegations that Iraq has constituted weapons-of-mass-destruction capability with anything that resembles substantive fact."

The politicians (including Al Gore, who warned of "imminent danger" in 1998) were hyping the Iraq threat, as were my fellow jackals of the press -- especially columnists! -- but the various intelligence agencies were far more prudent. To repeat, they often cautioned against overrating the threat posed by Saddam.

We keep losing troops in Iraq, well over 500 now. God only knows how many arms and legs were lost over there, how many pairs of eyes destroyed. The total cost to each American taxpayer before it's over has been estimated at around $3,000, and when you consider the disability payments we'll be making for the next 50 years or so, that's probably a low-ball guess.

That's quite a price for going after weapons that we had been told do not, and did not, exist. It's too high a price for getting rid of Saddam.

But the real mystery of Iraq is why we're still there. There are no WMDs; Saddam is in custody. Why, now, are we still sacrificing troops and dollars on a guerilla war that will never be won?

What is today's price for funding a president's effort to save face?
There are several people here who like to savage Ritter, though as far as I can remember, none have offered documentation to support their criticisms. I wonder how much of it came from the Faux News slurs mentioned. Note that #6 addresses the question of why Ritter changed his tune after leaving Iraq.

Whatever one may think of Ritter, the bottom line is he was right. He and Blix both provided information well before the invasion that cast Bush's intelligence claims into doubt. I remember reading a Ritter article from the summer of 2002 stating his conviction that Iraq had no significant remaining WMD capabilities. He explicitly stated Iraq had NO remaining nuclear capabilities. Yet some will claim that Iraq's lack of WMDs was a surprise, that there was no way we could have known the truth. Perhaps no one in the Bush administration reads the paper.

Finally, I think point #4 is noteworthy for all the people who claim Clinton did nothing to fight terrorism. While Sorensen doesn't cite his sources, it certainly appears Clinton did far more than Bush did before 9/11. Does anyone have better information to refute this?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
You mean to tell me that your Ritter is the same Ritter who wrote this?

Kerry, Too, Needs to Clear the Air

Kerry, Too, Needs to Clear the Air

By Scott Ritter
Scott Ritter, former UN chief inspector in Iraq, 1991-1998, is the author of "Frontier Justice: Weapons of Mass Destruction and the Bushwhacking of America."

February 9, 2004

On April 23, 1971, a 27-year-old Navy veteran named John Kerry sat before the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee and chided members on their leadership failures regarding the war in Vietnam.

"Where is the leadership?" Kerry, a decorated hero who had proved his courage under fire, demanded of the senators. "Where are they now that we, the men they sent off to war, have returned?" Kerry lambasted those who had pushed so strongly for war in Vietnam. "These men have left all the casualties and retreated behind a pious shield of public rectitude."

Today, on the issue of the war in Iraq, it is John Kerry who is all pious rectitude.

"I think the administration owes the entire country a full explanation on this war - not just their exaggerations but on the failure of American intelligence," Kerry said following the stunning announcement by David Kay, the Bush administration's former lead investigator in Iraq, that "we were all wrong" about the existence of weapons of mass destruction in that country. The problem for Sen. Kerry, of course, is that he, too, is culpable in the massive breach of public trust that has come to light regarding Iraq, WMD and the rush to war.

Almost 30 years after his appearance before the Senate, Sen. Kerry was given the opportunity to make good on his promises that he had learned the lessons of Vietnam. During a visit to Washington in April 2000, when I lobbied senators and representatives for a full review of American policy regarding Iraq, I spoke with John Kerry about what I held to be the hyped-up intelligence regarding the threat posed by Iraq's WMD. "Put it in writing," Kerry told me, "and send it to me so I can review what you're saying in detail."

I did just that, penning a comprehensive article for Arms Control Today, the journal of the Arms Control Association, on the "Case for the Qualitative Disarmament of Iraq." This article, published in June 2000, provided a detailed breakdown of Iraq's WMD capability and made a comprehensive case that Iraq did not pose an imminent threat. I asked the Arms Control Association to send several copies to Sen. Kerry's office but, just to make sure, I sent him one myself. I never heard back from the senator.

Two years later, in the buildup toward war that took place in the summer of 2002, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, on which Kerry sits, convened a hearing on Iraq. At that hearing a parade of witnesses appeared, testifying to the existence of WMD in Iraq. Featured prominently was Khidir Hamza, the self-proclaimed "bombmaker to Saddam," who gave stirring first-hand testimony to the existence of not only nuclear weapons capability, but also chemical and biological weapons as well. Every word of Hamza's testimony has since been proved false. Despite receiving thousands of phone calls, letters and e-mails demanding that dissenting expert opinion, including my own, be aired at the hearing, Sen. Kerry apparently did nothing, allowing a sham hearing to conclude with the finding that there was "no doubt" Saddam Hussein had WMD.

Sen. Kerry followed up this performance in October 2002 by voting for the war in Iraq. Today he justifies that vote by noting that he only approved the "threat of war," and that the blame for Iraq rests with President George W. Bush, who failed to assemble adequate international support for the war. But this explanation rings hollow in the face of David Kay's findings that there are no WMD in Iraq. With the stated casus belli shown to be false, John Kerry needs to better explain his role not only in propelling our nation into a war that is rapidly devolving into a quagmire, but more importantly, his perpetuation of the falsehoods that got us there to begin with.

President Bush should rightly be held accountable for what increasingly appears to be deliberately misleading statements made by him and members of his administration regarding the threat posed by Iraq's WMD. If such deception took place, then Bush no longer deserves the trust and confidence of the American people.

But John Kerry seems to share in this culpability, and if he wants to be the next president of the United States, he must first convince the American people that his actions somehow differ from those of the man he seeks to replace.

"Where is the leadership?" John Kerry asked more than 30 years ago, questioning a war that consumed life, money and national honor. Today this question still hangs in the air, haunting a former Navy combat veteran who needs to convince a skeptical nation that he not only has a plan to get America out of Iraq, but also possesses the leadership skills needed to avoid future ill-advised adventures.

Other than that Ritter needs to stay out of intarweb chat-rooms.

CkG

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Is this the same Scott Ritter who enjoys having sex with infant boys and girls, Bowfinger?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari
Is this the same Scott Ritter who enjoys having sex with infant boys and girls, Bowfinger?
That's between you and your therapist.

Sorry if Ritter so challenges your mindless Bush worship that you must resort to childish character assassination -- just like whoever set Ritter up. You're all pathetic losers in my opinion.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Or the one that was getting paid by the Iraqi goverment to do a documentary?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
That's nice Cad. Do you have a point, or is this just another example of your compulsion to hijack any thread that shines a light on the Bush administration? Why don't you and Dari and the other trolls go find a quiet corner for your circle-jerk.

Never mind, it's just a rhetorical question.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
That's between you and your therapist.

Sorry if Ritter so challenges your mindless Bush worship that you must resort to childish character assassination -- just like whoever set Ritter up. You're all pathetic losers in my opinion.

A tad angry, aren't we? Tsk Tsk. Just answer the question.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I don't understand? Scott is almost always spot-on!

"The United States is going to leave Iraq with its tail between its legs, defeated. It is a war we can not win," he told private radio TSF in an interview broadcast here on Tuesday evening.

"We do not have the military means to take over Baghdad and for this reason I believe the defeat of the United States in this war is inevitable," he said.

link

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison

Do you have a point, or should I invite you to join Cad and Dari? While this continuing Ritter character assassination offers fascinating insight into Bush's supporters, it has nothing to do with the article posted above.

If you have one or more links and would like to cross reference their information with the claims above, it would be a great contribution to a discussion.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison

Do you have a point, or should I invite you to join Cad and Dari? While this continuing Ritter character assassination offers fascinating insight into Bush's supporters, it has nothing to do with the article posted above.

If you have one or more links and would like to cross reference their information with the claims above, it would be a great contribution to a discussion.

Answer the question, Bowfinger. Does Scott Ritter enjoy the sexual company of infants?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: alchemize

"The United States is going to leave Iraq with its tail between its legs, defeated. It is a war we can not win," he told private radio TSF in an interview broadcast here on Tuesday evening.

"We do not have the military means to take over Baghdad and for this reason I believe the defeat of the United States in this war is inevitable," he said.

link
At least you've provided a link, though it is just another attack on Ritter instead of anything on-topic. In that spirit -- attacking the source -- do you have this same story from any credible news organizations?

I'd also point out that we haven't "won" in Iraq yet. Part of his comment, comparing Iraq to Vietnam, was rather prescient. Let us hope he is wrong.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Answer the question, Bowfinger. Does Scott Ritter enjoy the sexual company of infants?
How the hell would I know, asswipe? Does your mentor enjoy yours?

Do you have anything to add, or are you just trolling tonight?

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Hehe... that's a nice red herring there Cad... still a personal attack on a former US Marine and Scientist is really considering he's done more in a lifetime than what you've probably accomplish in 4.
rolleye.gif

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

link
At least you've provided a link, though it is just another attack on Ritter instead of anything on-topic. In that spirit -- attacking the source -- do you have this same story from any credible news organizations?

I'd also point out that we haven't "won" in Iraq yet. Part of his comment, comparing Iraq to Vietnam, was rather prescient. Let us hope he is wrong.

NY daily news is credible. Who knows, perhaps you'd prefer commondreams.org?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
PS: Most links on the pedophile stuff are "sources say" because the case was sealed.

Best link I could find

IMHO Scott likes to talk and talk and talk, he likes the limelight.
Yep, I'm aware of the case. I'm also aware of allegations it was a politically-motivated frame because of his public criticisms of the Bush administration.

I agree that Ritter likes the spotlight. That doesn't alter the fact that he was right about Iraq's WMDs, and he did publicize this information well before the war.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The problem for you rightwingers is that on those points, Ritter was right, and Bush was wrong, aka liar.
No WMD's have been found in Iraq. Ritter could have had sex with a whole kindergarden, but that won't make WMD's appear in Iraq.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
NY daily news is credible. Who knows, perhaps you'd prefer commondreams.org?
What was it Cad used to say? Oh yeah, another dart misses wildly. The link in the message you quoted is NOT to the NY Daily News. Another little flaw you can discuss with your sugar daddy.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
How the hell would I know, asswipe? Does your mentor enjoy yours?

Do you have anything to add, or are you just trolling tonight?

More mentor jokes? lol. Bring it on. They're sad but funny.

As for Scott Ritter, that pedophile changes his story more times than John Kerry. Consistency is so rare these days.

BTW little Bow-Wow, would you support Scott Ritter if he started a modern-day Sacred Band?

EDIT: alchemize's link was the daily news.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
EDIT: alchemize's link was the daily news.
Not the one you quoted, unless the NY Daily News and News24.com are the same thing.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Transcript of Ritter Interview, Part III
This is the transcript of Darcy Wells' interview with Scott Ritter from the Wednesday, January 22 edition of Channel Six News at 6.
Wells: "But can you set the record straight, did you go online and talk to an underage girl concerning some type of sexual discussions?"

Ritter: "Again I must respect my legal and ethically responsibilities and not discuss issues pertaining to that case."

Wells: "You know when people see you and if you speak about Iraq in the future in the back of their minds they are going to be wondering, why what to know did Scott Ritter do this kind of this or didn't he, can you set that record straight?"

Ritter: "Well again, I have a legal and ethical responsibility not to discuss the details of the case. But what do we have going on here an extrajudicial proceeding. You know I have already stood before a judge, I've already been held accountable to the rule of law. The case was dismissed, the file was sealed. And I would expect everyone who adhere to the rule of law and who respect the rule of law to respect that. Again remember what the concept of an ACOD is, an ACOD removes the presumption of guilt and alimits the concept of this stigma arising from me having to respond to unstandabke allegations

Wells: "In your case it didn't work."

Ritter: "Well again not because of any wrong doing on my part. I have adhered to my responsibilities under the law, I have adhered the requirements both legal and ethical not to discuss the details of this case. I could only wish that everyone could did that because we won't be here. I'd be in Baghdad, we might have an opportunity to pursue an important initiative that could prevent war and lets remember lets put this in a larger perspective here, war and peace. We are talking about the potential deaths of thousands of Americans, the destabilization of the region in the world. And its a darn shame I am not focused on that issue right now."

Wells: "Have you broken the law, ever?"

Ritter: "Have I ever broken the law, have I gotten a speeding ticket? Yeah. Have I gotten a parking ticket? Absolutely. Let me say this what happened on June 15 was the first time I was arrested and the first time I was charged with any crime. But I want to reiterate that I stood before a judge, I was held accountable to the rule of law and that judge dismissed the case. And I think everybody should remember that."

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Transcript of Ritter Interview, Part III
This is the transcript of Darcy Wells' interview with Scott Ritter from the Wednesday, January 22 edition of Channel Six News at 6.
Wells: "But can you set the record straight, did you go online and talk to an underage girl concerning some type of sexual discussions?"

Ritter: "Again I must respect my legal and ethically responsibilities and not discuss issues pertaining to that case."

Wells: "You know when people see you and if you speak about Iraq in the future in the back of their minds they are going to be wondering, why what to know did Scott Ritter do this kind of this or didn't he, can you set that record straight?"

Ritter: "Well again, I have a legal and ethical responsibility not to discuss the details of the case. But what do we have going on here an extrajudicial proceeding. You know I have already stood before a judge, I've already been held accountable to the rule of law. The case was dismissed, the file was sealed. And I would expect everyone who adhere to the rule of law and who respect the rule of law to respect that. Again remember what the concept of an ACOD is, an ACOD removes the presumption of guilt and alimits the concept of this stigma arising from me having to respond to unstandabke allegations

Wells: "In your case it didn't work."

Ritter: "Well again not because of any wrong doing on my part. I have adhered to my responsibilities under the law, I have adhered the requirements both legal and ethical not to discuss the details of this case. I could only wish that everyone could did that because we won't be here. I'd be in Baghdad, we might have an opportunity to pursue an important initiative that could prevent war and lets remember lets put this in a larger perspective here, war and peace. We are talking about the potential deaths of thousands of Americans, the destabilization of the region in the world. And its a darn shame I am not focused on that issue right now."

Wells: "Have you broken the law, ever?"

Ritter: "Have I ever broken the law, have I gotten a speeding ticket? Yeah. Have I gotten a parking ticket? Absolutely. Let me say this what happened on June 15 was the first time I was arrested and the first time I was charged with any crime. But I want to reiterate that I stood before a judge, I was held accountable to the rule of law and that judge dismissed the case. And I think everybody should remember that."

Wow, his lawyer did an excellent job of coaching him. However, sexual contact with infants, toddlers, or any other kid should be met with a long jail sentence and ostricism from society. This guy got away scott clean.

Mark my word, he will try again.

EDIT: I just read the bribe link only to find out he has a daughter? I wonder what tricks he's taught her.:Q

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Heh that's all for tonight. Sorry, but Ritter's just got very little credibility. He's the Dave McOwen of weapons inspectors ;)

He's just so, savagable! ;)

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

From that link:
Last night Mr Ritter said that the Iraqis had tried more than once to compromise Shifting Sands. He confirmed that officials had offered a gold bracelet for his wife and had volunteered to finance the film, either directly or via a French oil company.

Mr Ritter said that he had rebuffed each attempt and filed reports on the approaches to the FBI. He had also filed reports to the US Treasury when he was raising the money for Shifting Sands.

"Be careful how you interpret those documents," he said. "I would hate to read that I had taken Iraqi money, which I did not.

"Perhaps you can find documents relating to the meeting I eventually had with Tariq Aziz, in which I told him I would take no money, and he replied, 'We respect you because you do not have your hand out'," Mr Ritter said.

"I know that the Iraqis had no influence whatsoever on making this film."

Mr al-Khafaji, an Iraqi who has lived in America for 30 years, insisted that the documents proved only that Iraqi intelligence agents were corrupt. "Everybody knows that these people . . . defrauded the government out of their own pockets.

"The US government is well aware of where the money came from for the film. It came from me and two colleagues. It was checked by the government. It came from personal assets and from bank loans," he said.