The Witcher

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Press Release:

LYON, FRANCE ? 18 October 2007 ? Atari announced today that The Witcher has gone gold and is on schedule for European launch on October 26. Developed by CD Projekt RED, The Witcher will be available exclusively for Windows.

The Witcher transcends traditional fantasy role-playing by throwing players into a unique fantasy world rife with modern social issues where the line between good and evil is blurred and every decision can have profound consequences. Based on the fictional world created by best-selling Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski, The Witcher casts the player as Geralt, a legendary monster slayer and master swordfighter with supernatural abilities and reflexes.

?The Witcher is an exceptional role-playing game which further cements Atari?s reputation in bringing the highest quality role-playing experiences to gamers,? said Mathias Hautefort, Executive Vice President of publishing and production, Atari. ?Working hand in hand with independent development studio CD Projekt RED, the result sets a new standard for games in the genre.?

?Creating The Witcher was a huge challenge, but also an adventure. Our task was to create a game with an incredibly involving story and a credible world ? a role-playing Game that we ourselves would like to play,? said Michal Kicinski, CD Projekt Joint CEO. ?We approached this task with no compromises. Thanks to that The Witcher is not just another RPG. It?s a piece of work that in many respects changes and extends the typical canon of such games. It?s quite a brave approach, however I believe that thanks to that attitude ?The Witcher? will bring much freshness into the genre and, of course, will give the players all around the world lots of joy and positive emotions. And we couldn?t have asked for a better publishing partner than Atari. We?re very happy that The Witcher will join Atari?s stable of fantastic role-playing games.?

The Witcher presents a fresh approach to traditional role-playing, blending an expansive, twisting plotline ? in which the impact of individual decisions can drastically alter the later outcome of the game ? and fast-paced, spectacular combat combining swordplay and magic against a myriad of foes, human and otherwise. With highly detailed graphics, countless motion-capture animations and spectacular visual effects, The Witcher delivers brutal action, deep role-playing options and an intriguing story which will enthrall any player who dares to take on the formidable role of Geralt.

For more information about The Witcher visit www.thewitcher.com and for more details about Atari?s entire product line up visit http://www.atari.com

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
IGN preview of the The Witcher.

We've definitely enjoyed the first bit of The Witcher. With isometric and over the shoulder camera angles, fans of action views and tactical views will be able to enjoy an adventure that should have one of the more interesting and thoughtful stories of the year. If the few crash and presentation hitches we found in this preview version are fixed for the final, The Witcher should be a fine addition to RPG collections.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Mem
IGN preview of the The Witcher.

We've definitely enjoyed the first bit of The Witcher. With isometric and over the shoulder camera angles, fans of action views and tactical views will be able to enjoy an adventure that should have one of the more interesting and thoughtful stories of the year. If the few crash and presentation hitches we found in this preview version are fixed for the final, The Witcher should be a fine addition to RPG collections.

Thanks for the link; the game looks GREAT. :thumbsup: I will be buying this game for sure.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Gamespot preview.

There's more to The Witcher than combat, though. We're impressed with the early part of the game. The story and characters are intriguing, particularly the way the game is loaded with branching points where you have to make a choice that can affect the plot significantly. The Witcher looks like it's going to provide a fresh new face to fantasy role playing when it's released later this year.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Since its published by Atari, does it include Securom?

Unconfirmed reports in their forums say Tages.

Quick Google search revealed this,

The Witcher
Some officials have proclaimed that they will go with TAGES for all markets and NOT use StarFarce at least.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Get the non-US/North American version if you can. The US version is censored, with several altered character models, sex-related quests removed altogether, and dismemberment removed.

desolate

Jun 27, 2007
I can't wait for this game, I preordered the UK Import version from Gogamer.com just recently for the full game as intended.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: desolate
I can't wait for this game, I preordered the UK Import version from Gogamer.com just recently for the full game as intended.
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
Get the non-US/North American version if you can. The US version is censored, with several altered character models, sex-related quests removed altogether, and dismemberment removed.
I assume that the UK version is uncensored? The only language that I know is English.

What is the word on the street about Tages, better or worse for legit users than SecuROM and Starforce? Also, any word on if the DRM (Starforce, SecuROM, or Tages) scheme used on the British version differs from the US version?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I assume that the UK version is uncensored? The only language that I know is English.

What is the word on the street about Tages, better or worse for legit users than SecuROM and Starforce? Also, any word on if the DRM (Starforce, SecuROM, or Tages) scheme used on the British version differs from the US version?

I have pre-ordered the UK version since I live in the UK,as soon as the game arrives I'll let you guys know,UK release date is Oct 26th,btw as far as I know the UK version is uncensored (99.999% sure).

desolate

Jun 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

I have pre-ordered the UK version since I live in the UK,as soon as the game arrives I'll let you guys know,UK release date is Oct 26th,btw as far as I know the UK version is uncensored (99.999% sure).

Yes, please give us all a review after you played it for a little bit if you can, as I'm really looking forward to this game. I'm very into RPGs and the graphics and story behind this game are amazing. It seems as if The Witcher is under hyped though.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Flimflam
Where can I order the EU version? I really hate buying censored crap.

Try here.

Just curious, how do you tell whether its the US version or a EU version? I'd only be interested in an uncensored version, so that means the UK version. I'm not learning another language for sake of a game. :p

If I can't get the UK version, that means I wait for the US version to be modded.

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
I think I'll wait for the dust to settle before I decide "witch" to buy... I cannot believe US can't get the full version....

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: CrystalBay
I think I'll wait for the dust to settle before I decide "witch" to buy... I cannot believe US can't get the full version....

:| Me too! What's up w/that crap? No gore? No dismemberment? Why am I playing this type of game in the first place then? I have a big sword that I have to kill people with...but no gore and no dismemberment. W_T_F!

Never in my life have I purchased a non-US version of a game; this may very well be the first time.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Originally posted by: CrystalBay

:| Me too! What's up w/that crap? No gore? No dismemberment? Why am I playing this type of game in the first place then? I have a big sword that I have to kill people with...but no gore and no dismemberment. W_T_F!

Never in my life have I purchased a non-US version of a game; this may very well be the first time.

Didn't you know? When you strike some one with a sword, they cleanly fall to the ground without a drop of blood and disappear into the Earth in a few seconds.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Didn't you know? When you strike some one with a sword, they cleanly fall to the ground without a drop of blood and disappear into the Earth in a few seconds.

You have to strike them? I thought you pointed your sword at them, said "BAM!" then they fell to the ground and said "I'M OUT!"

-z

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Being from Poland, I have read all of the Witcher books and I can't wait to order and play the English or Polish version of the game.
:)
The entire series is really interesting.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: adlep
Being from Poland, I have read all of the Witcher books and I can't wait to order and play the English or Polish version of the game.
:)
The entire series is really interesting.

Found the crude version of the map of the Witcher's world

In here

May help someone :)