The Witcher (Show)

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Now i really want to see this! Hopefully it will be successful so they continue making it. They picked a good actor for his role.

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I am cautiously excited for this. The show creator has a pretty good pedigree (Daredevil and Umbrella Academy are great). The Nilfgaard armor looks dumb from the leaked stills (slightly better in the short action scene in the trailer), no idea what they were thinking with that.

It is mostly based on the books, not sure how much difference there is to the games, haven't gotten around to reading them.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I really enjoyed starting the first game. Man, I have so many started and unfinished books and games - maybe I'm the problem? lol

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
They said they are following the books for the series. The games are based on the books, but CDPR took some creative liberties in a few areas while largely sticking to the book. People are already complaining about it being "unrealistic" because he's only carrying his steel sword, but none of those people bothered to read the books.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Pretty sure in the books he has the silver sword on the horse? Which makes sense if you think about it.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Pretty sure in the books he has the silver sword on the horse? Which makes sense if you think about it.
This is why people who have read the books are annoyed with people screeching about it being "unrealistic to the series". They are whining about him only carrying a steel sword because in the games, he carries both at all times. In the books, he keeps silver on Roach since he only needs it on certain occasions.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
logically speaking, wouldn't a sharp silver sword also hurt normal humans? just saying he doesn't *need* 2 swords...

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
logically speaking, wouldn't a sharp silver sword also hurt normal humans? just saying he doesn't *need* 2 swords...

Yes but this is a fantasy. People always come up with some nonsense in fantasy or science fiction so it would make it more interesting to watch or to read.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Sliver is not as strong as steel. You would have trouble getting through armor with a sliver sword.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Silver won't hold an edge like steel, so it would be a pita to constantly fix the edge after sword fighting with it. And most monsters can be killed with steel (per the books). Its only specific creatures that require silver. Which is why in the books the silver sword stays on the horse.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
hehe, this is certainly one of the more positive threads about this that I've read in a while :D lots of people just seem to be MAD about the choice of Henry Cavil.

Which I don't understand. The guy is a giant Witcher fan, he knows the lore, he knows how Geralt should act and move, and he does all of his own stunts. So no shaky cam BS to hide the fact that the stunt double is in there.

But then, people on the internet just like to rage on things.

Reactions: clamum

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lol--that's Superman? I didn't recognize him on the first view of this. ...I dunno, he looks way too young to me. I never read the books (don't care), but I always got the feeling that Geralt was some really old dude, beyond just the white hair. At least, old in the sense of that world. Like, the lady witches are just super old, right? in their 90s or something, but look young and hot because fantasy demands that all old wizard ladies be super hot and horny, and that for other magic reasons, witchers also had unnaturally long lives--all that poison crap they drink--assuming some monster doesn't kill them?

Geralt always seemed to have too much of a reputation and legend about him, to be as young as the superman actor.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
lol--that's Superman? I didn't recognize him on the first view of this. ...I dunno, he looks way too young to me. I never read the books (don't care), but I always got the feeling that Geralt was some really old dude, beyond just the white hair. At least, old in the sense of that world. Like, the lady witches are just super old, right? in their 90s or something, but look young and hot because fantasy demands that all old wizard ladies be super hot and horny, and that for other magic reasons, witchers also had unnaturally long lives--all that poison crap they drink--assuming some monster doesn't kill them?

Geralt always seemed to have too much of a reputation and legend about him, to be as young as the superman actor.

Towards the end of the books he is 97, in the Witcher 3 he is closer to 110 or so. Witchers age super slow because of the mutations. Its mentioned some place that Vesemir is over 300.

I think the way Henry looks in the trailer is fine. The books don't describe him as looking old. His hair is white as a result of the second round of mutations, not due to his age.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Towards the end of the books he is 97, in the Witcher 3 he is closer to 110 or so. Witchers age super slow because of the mutations. Its mentioned some place that Vesemir is over 300.

I think the way Henry looks in the trailer is fine. The books don't describe him as looking old. His hair is white as a result of the second round of mutations, not due to his age.

OK right, I do recall there was some reason that I imagined them all to be old, not just what I expected. Probably some dialogue here and there, and I know the white hair wasn't so much about age as it was witchering....but that was also unique among witchers--in the games, anyway?

....I mean, 97. But I guess if you are aging slower, and you got peeps hitting 300, your 97 maybe looks like my 28? lol.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'm interested in it and I haven't read any of the books. I have Witcher 3 but played like an hour of it so I can't comment on how "accurate" the series is to anything. But I'm interested to know more, and I think Henry Cavill is good, so looking forward to it.

Also for some reason I get Henry Cavill and Jim Caviezel mixed up in my mind sometimes. Caviezel is a hot piece of man meat, as Borealis7 would say (semi homo).

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
OK right, I do recall there was some reason that I imagined them all to be old, not just what I expected. Probably some dialogue here and there, and I know the white hair wasn't so much about age as it was witchering....but that was also unique among witchers--in the games, anyway?

....I mean, 97. But I guess if you are aging slower, and you got peeps hitting 300, your 97 maybe looks like my 28? lol.

As far as looks go, the other thing that sticks out is their eyes, which are golden. In the books it states witchers can control the pupils to make them into cat like slits. In the games they are always slits. In the Netflix series they will most likely be round most of the time as slit contacts always get turned around.

They also are sterile, they are immune to most any sickness or disease, and they have minor magical abilities they call signs.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm interested in it and I haven't read any of the books. I have Witcher 3 but played like an hour of it so I can't comment on how "accurate" the series is to anything. But I'm interested to know more, and I think Henry Cavill is good, so looking forward to it.

Also for some reason I get Henry Cavill and Jim Caviezel mixed up in my mind sometimes. Caviezel is a hot piece of man meat, as Borealis7 would say (semi homo).

Caviezel is also quite the loony toon. but for whatever reason, I also confuse those two.

Reactions: brainhulk