The Witcher (Show)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I remember CD Red saying they would release mod tools, but then backtracked for some reason. Now would be the perfect time release them to keep its popularity up until Witcher 4.

They did get an updated license for the Witcher, but my guess is that it will be a prequel. Since the end of Blood and Wine was really the end of Geralt's story. Would be cool to either see young Geralt the brand new witcher, or maybe have a younger Vesemir?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I blame you all...

I just reached Velen again.

Now would be the perfect time release them to keep its popularity up until Witcher 4.
CDPR already said TW3 was the end of Geralt's story. They did say they'd love to make another Witcher game in the future, but it will revolve around a different Witcher entirely.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Just finished watching the season, what a show! I can't wait to see the continuation of it and how it all adds up. I have to say that Henry Cavill is the perfect Geralt, i am very glad that he got this role

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
^ yeah, I haven't been holding out for another Geralt story, but I guess they left room for something in the Witcher world....I mean, fine. sure let's do it. That sucks, maybe without Geralt, but better than nothing.

Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 will be their new series thing or whatever. Let's do it. Let's do both...if it works.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Fired up the Witcher III last night for the first time in probably 2 years--or whenever I last attempted to get into it.

Still had a save in there but decided to start fresh; since I never really got anywhere. I think I am actually doing alright this time around, on normal difficulty. Going to make sure I'm at least leveled up a few before trying to fight that damn griffin again.

Game also looks and plays fantastic @ 4K on GTX 1080. Hairworks still garbage though. Can anyone recommend graphics mods?

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Going to make sure I'm at least leveled up a few before trying to fight that damn griffin again.
Level 3 is more than enough to fight the Griffon on Death March difficulty. You just gotta watch its attacks and be ready to dodge. The whole fight is basically just to get you ready to fight flying enemies later in the game by using the crossbow to down them when they are striking.

Hairworks still garbage though. Can anyone recommend graphics mods?
I wish I could see what everyone is talking about since there's more and more people complaining about the graphics being garbage. I'm playing the game completely maxed out at 2K resolution (with Hairworks) and the game is still one of the best-looking games out there. If I look really close at the screen I can find things to nitpick, but the game is gorgeous while just playing it.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Settle down... I think the game looks fantastic as-is just not the hair on most human NPC's. Dunno how exactly NV hairworks... uh, works, but it's not exactly the same as advertised on the GPU maker's site.

There are a couple of 4K texture mods I might try out, however I think I'll try and get better at the actual game before wading into mod waters.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
There's a 100% White Orchard completion save file available for W3EE though...

Yup--still too far away though--like the Baron and Crone stories ending, about to wade into Novigrad. ...still too far for me to reset, atp. It's like 2 White Orchards--no' gon do-it! :D

....though if this works, I'll try it in one of those "jump into DLC things" when starting a new game. might be worth it when I get back to "blood and wine"--it's such a massive continent, might wade into the overhaul then, starting a new game at that point, ...level ~37 or whatever it is, NG+

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Settle down... I think the game looks fantastic as-is just not the hair on most human NPC's. Dunno how exactly NV hairworks... uh, works, but it's not exactly the same as advertised on the GPU maker's site.
That wasn't meant to be directly solely towards you. Since the resurgence of The Witcher due to the show, I've been seeing a lot of comments all over the internet along the lines of "I thought this game was supposed to look good". Replaying it now, I still love just riding around and looking at the scenery (plus that opening scene once you step on Yennefer's balcony in the intro still gets me). Though I still don't understand what people are wanting in terms of better graphics. Maybe I just need to see some side-by-side screenshots of a fully-modded Witcher 3 vs vanilla.

I do recall a texture pack that was incredibly popular back in 2016 that everyone was using and to me, it looked like someone just made the texture edges more prominent and fiddled with the HDR. There was a "Better flora" mod as well that actually made the grass and weeds look better, but at a massive cost to performance.

As for hairworks, from my understanding, that was supposed to only affect Geralt, though I'm probably wrong about that. I never noticed anything special about NPC's hair before and after, but there was a noticeable difference with Geralt's hair when I was first testing if my PC could handle the game maxed out.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So now people start playing the game. FOMO as I've ever seen it.

Why not play a good game closer to it's release? C'mon people...

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

...because I'll play a game when want to? Also, I think a solid portion of this new activity is from re-plays.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007

What does it matter when people play the game? The game was outstanding and had plenty of sales when it was released (and plenty of glitches). With the show's popularity skyrocketing, it has drawn in a new fanbase to the games.

As for playing it closer to when it was released, refer to my point about the glitches. The game was a mess when it was released, just like the vast majority of games these days. Unless you're dying of a terminal illness, you don't need to play a game on day one, so it usually saves a lot of headaches and money if you wait a few months (six months seems to be the sweet spot) since games tend to go on sale and it gives ample time to get a lot of patches out.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Huh. I enjoyed it and all, but definitely liked Dragon Age: Origins more, and both Divinity: Original Sin games more yet.

I loved the original Dragon Age, I spent hundreds buying like 11 DLC's as they came out on the PS3, and then re-bought for the incredible bargain of $50 on the PC and didn't even play it there for years (they also screwed early buyers). What I didn't like as much was the huge grind of very long levels, and the final boss difficulty, which I didn't finish on my first char.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I haven't read the books. I've just played the first two video games (and really enjoyed both of them).

But why is the bard called Dandelion in the video games, but Jaskier in the show? As someone who's only played the video games, this is annoying me for some odd reason....

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I haven't read the books. I've just played the first two video games (and really enjoyed both of them).

But why is the bard called Dandelion in the video games, but Jaskier in the show? As someone who's only played the video games, this is annoying me for some odd reason....

Geralt also sometimes calls him Jaskier in the video games...at least in Witcher 3 or even 2, I think. ...or others do. I remember it being a thing. I'm assuming that in the storyline, he acquires the dandelion nickname for whatever reason, or maybe as some sort of professional identity.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
A friend told me that Jaskier is Buttercup or something in Polish, but that translation is too awkward for English-speaking audiences

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I just got the Witcher 3 (it was on offer on steam), I could never get into the first 2 but I'm really enjoying this one. Maybe because a friend convinced me to plug an xbox controller into the PC to play it.

I'm running a couple of visual mods.

The Witcher 3 HD reworked project
Supreme to extreme graphics options

The first is basically better textures and doesn't really affect my frame rates, the second opens up a bunch of extra options in the graphics menu of the game and if I turn up everything all the way there it murders my frame rate!

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Jaskier is his name in Polish. Honestly, CDPR should have kept his name as Jaskier and never changed it to Dandelion, but we can't always have everything. I guess CDPR didn't want to translate some names and not others, so they just did the best they could with the translation.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I just got the Witcher 3 (it was on offer on steam), I could never get into the first 2 but I'm really enjoying this one. Maybe because a friend convinced me to plug an xbox controller into the PC to play it.

I'm running a couple of visual mods.

The Witcher 3 HD reworked project
Supreme to extreme graphics options

The first is basically better textures and doesn't really affect my frame rates, the second opens up a bunch of extra options in the graphics menu of the game and if I turn up everything all the way there it murders my frame rate!
There's a separate HD Monsters Reworked mod you should grab too. And use the GhostMode gameplay mod!

Jaskier is his name in Polish. Honestly, CDPR should have kept his name as Jaskier and never changed it to Dandelion, but we can't always have everything. I guess CDPR didn't want to translate some names and not others, so they just did the best they could with the translation.
His name is Dandelion in the English translation books. They changed his name in other translations as well. Apparently Jaskier is either a specific Ranunculus flower with no translation, the closest being the Buttercup, or a generic Polish word that refers to small yellow flowers generally of Ranunculus genus. Buttercup was though to be too feminine / wrong connotation so they went with Dandelion to carry original intent, plus the dandy association is appropriate.

Reactions: WelshBloke