The Witcher (Show)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The Witcher 3 released in 2015 and today on Steam it's reached a new max all-time player count.
  • 88,277 - players right now
  • 94,651 - 24-hour player peak
  • 94,651 - all-time player peak about 2 hours ago
That has to be unprecedented for a single player game.

I mean...it's not like I didn't start a 3rd playthrough ~3 days ago.... :D

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I binge-watched the entire season on Netflix and now I'm forcing myself to not start another playthrough. I just started a new colony on Rimworld and if I start another game on Witcher 3, I might as well just uninstall Rimworld.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I FINALLY just started witcher 3 after owning it for about 4 years. For some reason other things kept getting in the way.
I dont like the clunky combat and console controls, but otherwise the game is darn good.
Looks nice on a RTX 2080 by the way.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I FINALLY just started witcher 3 after owning it for about 4 years. For some reason other things kept getting in the way.
I dont like the clunky combat and console controls, but otherwise the game is darn good.
Looks nice on a RTX 2080 by the way.
How long did you have to play before it got good? I played it for 2-3 hours back when it first came out, and couldn't get into it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
How long did you have to play before it got good? I played it for 2-3 hours back when it first came out, and couldn't get into it.

you gotta get through noob island (white orchard) before it start gets really interesting.

Reactions: Muadib

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I'm hesitant to recommend W3EE mod for everyone, although it's quite good, but everyone really should at least use GhostMode mod. I honestly think the game is a bit too hard until around level 6-8 and way too easy after level 10, and those mods really help even things out and keep progression interesting.

Also, HD Rework and Phoenix Lighting for graphics.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'd say right around the time you get the crossbow is when the game is really fun. But its not for everyone. You need patience for the early part of the game and you need to get involved with the story, otherwise its more boring than entertaining.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Geralt's dry humor and some stories have the best comedy I've seen in a game.

Apart from the gloom of the first war torn area, the game has the most incredible vistas in a game.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Never got into the Witcher games, always found the controls clunky and the story cliche. On episode 3 of the Netflix series, and find the acting clunky and the story cliche.

but...what if the undead skeleton is wearing armor?
cast magic missile

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
The story is pretty unique so it's very likely you just don't understand the story.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Just finished watching 4th episode, i can't stop watching this. I have to say I love it especially the fighting scenes, they were amazing.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Just finished watching 4th episode, i can't stop watching this. I have to say I love it especially the fighting scenes, they were amazing.

The fighting scene in the first episode is amazing. Its almost entirely one take, which is awesome. The others are great too, but that first one takes the cake.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I fought it. I really did, but I installed Witcher 3 again last night. Haven't fired it up yet because I'm still not finished with my third colony on Rimworld and I know the moment I make a new game on Witcher 3, I might as well just uninstall everything else.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I fought it. I really did, but I installed Witcher 3 again last night. Haven't fired it up yet because I'm still not finished with my third colony on Rimworld and I know the moment I make a new game on Witcher 3, I might as well just uninstall everything else.

...yep. It looks like there have been a few updates since I last played, and I think some new mini-quests with that? Not sure...seems like I have run into a few that I don't recall before, but it can be easy to miss some of them, anyway.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Henry says he played the Witcher games and likes them, especially the 3rd one.

He actually sounds like he does play games (Total War, Overwatch, etc). Nothing that he said made me think "this guy is just talkin shit, he doesn't play." :thumbsup:

Reactions: Igo69

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I mean...it's not like I didn't start a 3rd playthrough ~3 days ago.... :D

lmao. I just started my second playthrough yesterday after watching the entire Netflix series and finally beating the final Blood and Wine boss. I'd been playing my first save on and off for like four years. It's seen a lot .. moving houses twice, three new cars, an engagement, and getting my dog. Now I'm wondering if I should have lightly modded in some way because despite some very difficult bosses, the majority of the game is too easy even on Death March.

... now I'm about to ditch work and go home to play. Who works on January 2nd anyway?

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Henry says he played the Witcher games and likes them, especially the 3rd one.

He actually sounds like he does play games (Total War, Overwatch, etc). Nothing that he said made me think "this guy is just talkin shit, he doesn't play." :thumbsup:

Oh then your going to love this.

Another new peak. The series really brought in everybody.
  • 96,616 - players right now
  • 102,133 - 24 hour player peak
  • 102,172 - all time player peak a day ago

Last edited:
Reactions: Igo69

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
lmao. I just started my second playthrough yesterday after watching the entire Netflix series and finally beating the final Blood and Wine boss. I'd been playing my first save on and off for like four years. It's seen a lot .. moving houses twice, three new cars, an engagement, and getting my dog. Now I'm wondering if I should have lightly modded in some way because despite some very difficult bosses, the majority of the game is too easy even on Death March.

... now I'm about to ditch work and go home to play. Who works on January 2nd anyway?

Yes, I need to look into what @GoodRevrnd was mentioning up there, because I never really modded Witcher 3. I assume that by "EE" it just means the extended edition, which is basically default? This really does need some HD texture overhaul (I don't recall some of the wooden wall textures, especially, being as awful as they are), and difficulty. Death March really gets way too easy, too fast.

Does the Steam workshop exist still? I was looking for that to make things easier, but looks like I might have to spend time with uh...crap what is the one that everyone uses? I can't remember off the top of my head.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Yes, I need to look into what @GoodRevrnd was mentioning up there, because I never really modded Witcher 3. I assume that by "EE" it just means the extended edition, which is basically default? This really does need some HD texture overhaul (I don't recall some of the wooden wall textures, especially, being as awful as they are), and difficulty. Death March really gets way too easy, too fast.

Does the Steam workshop exist still? I was looking for that to make things easier, but looks like I might have to spend time with uh...crap what is the one that everyone uses? I can't remember off the top of my head.
W3 is a more difficult game to mod so there's no steam workshop report and even Nexus Mod Manager makes it a mess. Someone did develop a mod manager for the game, but it's generally best to do it manually or only use the manager for most of your graphics mods. Beyond that you also need to manage script conflicts between mods (esp gameplay ones) which is confusing af at first but not too difficult.

EE / W3EE is Enhanced Edition, which should really read more like Darksoul's Edition (from what I understand, never played DS). The biggest feature imo is completely overhauled combat. Dodging is more important and not full invulnerability, attack type differences matter more, and better granularity in strike distance and aiming. No levels--monster power is what it is, within some range, and you increase power via your skills and gear. Skill progression is semi-use based (you still allocate to skills by choice, but you earn the points in the 5 areas by performing actions related to them). Gear progression is defined more by addition of secondary stats than raw damage/armor (this was one of the weaker parts of the mod when I played, but they apparently completely rebuilt and rebalanced all gear since I played to make it more varied, interesting, and progressive), relics are completely unique and varied with interesting secondary effects. EE also packs in a lot of QoL mods or other mod features by default, like FriendlyHUD. EE is also extremely tunable via menus, so if it's too hard I would suggest just cranking your HP up, but there are a lot of other options.

GhostMode is basically default Witcher experience completely rebalanced and bugfixed. There is seriously no reason to play the game without this mod.

FCR3 was a dev-made overhaul. It has not been updated and there's no particularly good reason to use it over GhostMode.

I don't know anything about Redux.

None of the overhaul mods are compatible with save games so stop playing now and pick one.

Without going super deep, go grab HD Reworked, HD Monsters Reworked and maybe a lighting mod and you're good to go. I'd recommend ALM or PLM for lighting.

Reactions: zinfamous

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
steam workshop is there but not all games use it.
In fact for witcher 3 I think you may want one of the third party sites like Nexus Mods.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I remember CD Red saying they would release mod tools, but then backtracked for some reason. Now would be the perfect time release them to keep its popularity up until Witcher 4.