The Witcher sells a million copies... and still counting.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Not sure if this has been posted here before:

http://n4g.com/pc/News-81964.aspx

Great news. Just goes to show that the PC is a strong platform, and that new intellectual property can still make it.

The game has been in the USA top ten for a while as well.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Pretty amazing for a game that flew under the radar before it was released and a job well done by CDProjekt. Certainly proves that the PC community can get behind good games and their devs, when they actually purchase and not pirate them. Hopefully this means more expansions and episodes as there's a vast amount of content to draw from Sapkowski's writings.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Got it for Christmas and I'm excited to play it, but I've been kinda immersed in Crysis, plus the whole holiday time with family and friends thing.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I don't think this is accurate. The article was posted nearly two months ago, which means that not only did it sell a million copies, but it did that in a couple of weeks. On top of that the full article gives a 404 and the person who contributed it says he made a mistake and that Witcher instead had a million copies produced for sale.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I can remember a time if you sold 100,000 copies of a game it was a huge hit. I wonder what that number is today? Making games gets more expensive all the time so that old 100,000 number is way out of date I'm thinking.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
I don't think this is accurate. The article was posted nearly two months ago, which means that not only did it sell a million copies, but it did that in a couple of weeks. On top of that the full article gives a 404 and the person who contributed it says he made a mistake and that Witcher instead had a million copies produced for sale.

ROFL, that's some quality journalism right there.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006

Actually it is very accurate.

I've read at a few places that The Witcher has now sold 2 million copies worldwide. Do a search on Google.

It sold 100,000 copies in a couple of weeks in Poland alone. The rest of Europe bought a million copies in 2 weeks.

Really? I haven't heard much about The Witcher recently. Figured it was a cult hit.

The books don't have a very popular status in North America, but in Europe are almost at the level of popularity as the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

The final book saw the death of the long running hero, and the game starts with his revival a few years after the final book was published. I guess all the fans were curious to see how he made his return.

I guess the M rated content was an extra bonus. ;)

Besides that, the game is pretty awesome.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Surprises me... unfortunately, I'm not one of them cause I'm really not in the mood for an RPG right now that doesn't have guns.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Pugnate

I've read at a few places that The Witcher has now sold 2 million copies worldwide. Do a search on Google.

It sold 100,000 copies in a couple of weeks in Poland alone. The rest of Europe bought a million copies in 2 weeks.

Googling 'witcher 2 million copies sold worldwide' gives me nothing about The Witcher selling that many. The first result is the removed article you posted and several results after are about Bioshock selling 2 million copies, within four months. I don't want to crap on the game and hope the sales numbers are true, but when everyone is referring to a single article that was soon taken down later there has to be some question of legitimacy. Google cached the article, but even the wording is ambiguous. "...has premiered around the world in 100,000 copies in Poland and a million abroad..." doesn't even directly imply sales.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Pugnate

Googling 'witcher 2 million copies sold worldwide' gives me nothing about The Witcher selling that many. The first result is the removed article you posted and several results after are about Bioshock selling 2 million copies, within four months. I don't want to crap on the game and hope the sales numbers are true, but when everyone is referring to a single article that was soon taken down later there has to be some question of legitimacy. Google cached the article, but even the wording is ambiguous. "...has premiered around the world in 100,000 copies in Poland and a million abroad..." doesn't even directly imply sales.

not on the top 10 of the 12/02 - 12/08 NPD US PC games sales chart :

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/n...y-PC-Sales-Chart/p1/c3

but the shocking news is UT3
In the particular case of Unreal Tournament 3, the SimExchange data states that 33,995 copies were sold, when in fact, 5,000 fewer units were actually sold. Sorry Epic.

from November it made the top 4 in the European list:

http://www.videogamesblogger.c...de-in-week-45-2007.htm

here is the article that started it:

http://www.n4g.com/News-81964.aspx
Cdprojekt chief designer Michael madej reported that the witcher has sold 100,000 copies in poland and more than a million copies worldwide

'For Polish readers, Andrzej Sapkowski and his The Witcher epic, are household names. The game hardly needs promotion either here or in Russia, the Czech Republic and Slovakia, where Sapkowski is widely read. But in the West he has been little known. As part of the promotion campaign, a collection of Sapkowski?s short stories about the witcher was translated into English. Signals on sales reaching the CD Projekt studio show the game is doing extremely well.

?For example is the second best-selling game in Germany. It is only a PC and it is able to compete with games selling on different platforms, like consoles and play stations. We are in the first ten or even five best selling games in Great Britain and in all countries in Europe and America. In Poland, our success it is unbelievable, because in the first three days we sold more copies than some titles sell in ten years.

the entire story was here but is down:

http://www.polskieradio.pl/err...anica/gb/dokument.aspx

i assume that it was the "excitement" and overstating by the chief designer :p

EDIT:

more for December ... the UK

http://www.yougamers.com/news/...charts_-_december_8th/

Dec 1st it was 25th and Dec 8 it was 19th in the UK

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/i...dex_test.jsp&ct=110022

another UK chart has it 17 [not on the chart last week] for this last week ending Dec 22

and this URL speaks for itself:

http://www.gamingsteve.com/arc...ng-to-the-xbox-360.php

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
The books aren't popular in North America probably because they aren't published here yet.:D The first book is to be available here in MAY. I assume the game did much better in Europe, Russia, and wherever else the books are available.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Cool! At first...I couldn't stand the game due to the weird combat -but decided to give it a 2nd try and have found liking the game a lot.

However, I just can't shake the feeling of being a "dirty pr0n star" dark jedi from KOTOR following a Never Winter Nights 1 storyline...

You meditate to rest...
You wield swords...
You can kick everyone's arse in the game...
You have "force" powers...

"The Witcher" would definitely make for a good movie as long as it's done right...

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I just find it really odd they'd release the game in North America when they haven't released the book here yet.

As far as making The Witcher into a movie, there already is one movie based on the book series called The Hexer.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: Wag
As far as making The Witcher into a movie, there already is one movie based on the book series called The Hexer.

The IMDB rating does not look promising

Haha well considering it was a Polish production done in 2001 I'm sure it'd be a major letdown to those who only know The Witcher from the game and its excellent cinematic sequences. I envision that movie having a lot of goats....and dark scenes....and more goats (with maybe some props to make them look like monsters).

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I was considering buying this game soon, since I've been itching for some PC RPG action ever since I was letdown by TES IV. Does AT recommend that I buy it?

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Dumac
I was considering buying this game soon, since I've been itching for some PC RPG action ever since I was letdown by TES IV. Does AT recommend that I buy it?

Try the demo, it's out @ Fileplanet and I'm sure many other places.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
So I got around to playing it, and it seems awesome, but I'm stuck. There must be something obvious I'm overlooking, but what am I supposed to do to meditate while Vesemir is standing there waiting for me? There doesn't seem to be a fireplace in the room and I'm not sure what to do.

Edit: Nevermind, there was indeed something obvious I overlooked.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: DSF
So I got around to playing it, and it seems awesome, but I'm stuck. There must be something obvious I'm overlooking, but what am I supposed to do to meditate while Vesemir is standing there waiting for me? There doesn't seem to be a fireplace in the room and I'm not sure what to do.

Would that be the making the potion? ;) :p

I've come into several points in The Witcher where I've felt stuck. But after the early game, there are plenty of quests in your journal to progress the game while you learn more about the MQ in game.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: DSF

Would that be the making the potion? ;) :p

I've come into several points in The Witcher where I've felt stuck. But after the early game, there are plenty of quests in your journal to progress the game while you learn more about the MQ in game.

No, I didn't realize I needed to click on the icon in the dialogue window with Vesemir to meditate the first time.

Vidda

Sep 29, 2004
Looking forward to checking this out, even though I'm not a big fantasy RPG fan. Actually waiting for a Mass Effect port. :)

Apr 17, 2005
is this game more of an action rpg or traditional rpg. i havent played any action rpgs since D2. i tried TQ but never bought it, so i'd consider getting this since AT seems to be into it.

Crafty35a

Feb 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Wag
The books aren't popular in North America probably because they aren't published here yet.:D The first book is to be available here in MAY. I assume the game did much better in Europe, Russia, and wherever else the books are available.

Thanks for the link! I just preordered, not bad for $6.