The Witcher sells 600,000+ Enhanced version coming soon.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
600 000+ sales:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/852/852214p1.html

News of an enhanced edition:

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/news/444.html]Wow![/url]

CD Projekt RED is pleased to announce that in May of this year, a completely new and improved version of The Witcher will appear in stores, a game considered by many players as well as the media as the best cRPG of 2007!

Michal Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt described the idea behind the Enhanced Edition:

"The leading idea during the development of the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher is to create a game that is devoid of all "first-time" problems found in the premiere edition. The Witcher was received very warmly by both the players and the media, but we are well aware that it is not a product without its faults. There was just not enough time to perfect certain elements, while we learned that some things needed to be changed from the players themselves. Now we have the opportunity to introduce changes that will allow The Witcher to provide even more fun. I hope that, as a result, the game will come even closer to the ideal RPG game."

Maciej Szczesnik ? Project Manager from CD Projekt RED, spoke about the content provided in the new edition:

"The Witcher: Enhanced Edition will be a completely polished product. A product that is rarely found on the PC market. Of course, it would be best if the premiere edition could look that way. For different reasons that was not achieved, now we're trying to make up for it. It should be easier for the fact that there aren't that many elements in the game which need improvement. Work is being done on two levels. One concerns the removal of technical obstacles that hinder the player from properly using the game and thus gaining enjoyment from it. By that I mean level loading times, which will be reduced by 80%, the stability of the game on different configurations, as well as a whole array of smaller fixes that will increase interactivity and precision in combat. The other level consists of very important changes that are not usually found in patches. First and foremost, the English language version will be, for the most part, completely re-done. The amount of text in that version was reduced compared to other language versions and that was said to cause a significant decrease in immersion and atmosphere. Now the English version will be as polished and atmospheric as the other language versions. Speaking of language versions, most of them will be more or less improved. Significant changes will also be made in the German version, where we are planning to re-record the voices for many of the characters. The most important improvements concern those elements of the game that the players criticized the most. So for example, over 50 new supporting character models will be added, so that the player won't run into the same person too often. The inventory panel will be re-designed and improved, and some elements of the main game screen will be polished. However, one of the biggest changes that will greatly increase the player's immersion in the game world will be improvements concerning dialogue scenes. Both Geralt and the NPCs will get over 100 new animated gestures which will make their "body language" during a conversation much more natural. Additionally, the face animation and lip-sync system will be re-created, making the faces of the speakers now even more natural as well. Of course, I've mentioned only the most important changes, and that's still a lot. There will be many smaller changes that will make the game more fun. I'm convinced that, thanks to them, The Witcher will be an almost ideal game."

Adam Kicinski ? the head of CD Projekt RED spoke about publishing and the availability of the Enhanced Edition in different parts of the world: "Our goal is to make the Enhanced Edition available to all players all over the world. Of course, in the end, that depends on our publishers with whom we are currently negotiating. I believe that thanks to the interest shown by players, it will be possible to convince publishers worldwide to release the game in conjunction with the premiere in Eastern Europe, that is May 16. This is important because aside from improvements to the game itself, this edition is also to be improved in terms of how it's released, which for the most part depends more on the publishers than us, the authors. For example, aside from the game DVD, we are planning to include a DVD with a Mod Editor D'jinii, as well as two additional adventures, a video DVD with extended material concerning the making of the game, a music CD with 29 tracks from the game, a music CD with 15 tracks of music inspired by the game, an 80-page instruction booklet, a 112-page official guide written by the authors of the game, and a 50-page short story written by Andrzej Sapkowski. There will also be a map of the game world. As you can see it is quite an elaborate release and it is important to us that fans all over the world be able to buy this version of the game. Especially considering it will not be more expensive than the standard edition of the game! Fans that have already bought the game need not worry, however, because the new content and improvements will be available to them in the form of a downloadable update "

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition does not only mean changes in the game's mechanics or better graphics, however. There's also an included mod editor called D'jinni that allows players to create or modify their own adventures in the world of The Witcher, as well as two completely new adventures created by CD Projekt RED. First adventure ?The price of neutrality? tells the story of Geralt coming back to Kaer Morhen and finding mysterious camp near stronghold (3 new quests) while second one focus on Dandelion and his troubles in Vyzim City (5 quests)

The Witcher is an RPG game about the adventures of Geralt, a professional monster slayer, developed by the Polish studio, CD Projekt RED. The game is based on a new version of Bioware's engine, Aurora 2007. The story is set in a world known from books written by Andrzej Sapkowski and sold all over the world. The game has already managed to garner worldwide success, having sold over 600 thousand copies. It has received 48 awards and distinctions, including the prestigious "Best PC RPG 2007" from IGN.com, as well as "PC RPG of the Year 2007" from Gamespy.com (see the entire list of awards: http://www.thewitcher.com/community/pl/awards/). The game has also received very high ratings from players from all over the world, which is reflected in the average scores given in reviews from such sites as: Metacritics (9.4/10), GameTrailers (9.1/10) i Gamespot (8.8/10).

Detailed information regarding the Enhanced Edition can be found in the additional document.
Holy shit.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Nice. I can't wait for the new free content and see what kinds of mods and adventures the community will come up with. The Witcher was definitely one of my fav games of 2007.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Did we really need 3 separate "This is how many copies Game X sold" threads?
They could have been combined into one thread to make a stronger point.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Wow, i wish I could have gotten the enhanced edition for my first playthrough.
THNX for the info. :thumbsup:

Awesome game and i dont care how many threads it gets on here, the more the better IMHO. ;)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: MTDEW
Wow, i wish I could have gotten the enhanced edition for my first playthrough.
THNX for the info. :thumbsup:

Awesome game and i dont care how many threads it gets on here, the more the better IMHO. ;)

i just stopped dead in my tracks in Chapter 2 with the news ... i have 11 other games to play and i will set the Witcher aside until May - it makes me feel good i waited and only paid $30 for it :p ... anyway, i want to play it the way the devs envisioned it
... loading times are actually pretty good for me now ... i'm looking forward to having it nearly instant ... i did not think they could squeeze that much performance out of the NWN2's [Aurora] game engine. Kudos to them for fixing it - unlike with G3's genome engine and the fighting primates at JoJoWood/PiranhaBytes ... of course G3 was a 'failure'. :(

See .. ^^*this* ^^ is what happens when a game gets RUNAWAY success from a good studio - they rework the game ... and like with STALKER we can expect a Witcher expansion -- or two.
:clock:

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
I am glad I waited. This is really good news and it will give me something to play over the summer.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Did we really need 3 separate "This is how many copies Game X sold" threads?

Yes we do. It help offsets all the stupid PC gaming is dying threads that have popped up almost every week since the latest generation of consoles came out.

Real positive news, is much better than the same rehashed doom and gloom nonsense that's been spouted for 25 years since the Nintedo NES came out.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
Should I wait until May or buy Witcher now? Still 39.99 at CC

I'd buy it now, awesome game. All the new content will be downloadable for current game owners.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
Should I wait until May or buy Witcher now? Still 39.99 at CC

wait ,,, it can only go on sale ;)

unless you want to play it twice ... i have it now - played into Ch2] and i am putting it away ... i want to play it as the devs intended

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I was interested in this game, so I'll be sure to pick it up (probably the Brit edition) by May.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin

unless you want to play it twice ...

You only play RPGs once? Didn't you invest over a thousand hours into Oblivion?

The Witcher has three basic tracks, neutral, Sco'a'tel, and Order. At the most basic level, this means you can play through it three times and get three different ending while taking three different routes to get there. Not counting all the other decisions made in the game that don't effect the game's main story but still effect the world around you.

The only downside to playing the game now is that you could experience some of the loose ends that would most likely be filled by the Enhanced Edition.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: apoppin

unless you want to play it twice ...

You only play RPGs once? Didn't you invest over a thousand hours into Oblivion?

The Witcher has three basic tracks, neutral, Sco'a'tel, and Order. At the most basic level, this means you can play through it three times and get three different ending while taking three different routes to get there. Not counting all the other decisions made in the game that don't effect the game's main story but still effect the world around you.

The only downside to playing the game now is that you could experience some of the loose ends that would most likely be filled by the Enhanced Edition.

yep, once ... Hellgate is the only game i ever replayed

i spent [not 'invested'] 1,250 hours into Oblivion with the same character ... Level 92 without using the console or 'cheating'; i played SI with a new character, however, as i wanted a 'challenge' :p

My *point* in delaying the Witcher purchase was not that at all - rather -
wait ,,, it can only go on sale

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
I picked up one of the MSI 8600GT cards from newegg that was like $77 after rebate and came with a free copy of The Witcher. Pretty awesome game, especially once you get past the first half an hour of exposition. It reminds me of Oblivion, but with a better combat system and a more pointed overall quest structure. I highly recommend it.