The Witcher 2 or Kingdoms of Amalur?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Based on this post of mine in the KoA Steam Sale thread, which do you think I would prefer more?

Essentially, a good blend of RPG mechanics, good story, an engaging/compelling/fun experience, with good combat mechanics (preferably leaning toward action/arcade-style combat, of course with requisite RPG elements of magic and various crazy shit like that, which is expected).

On Steam, The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition and the base game for KoA are basically the same price ($40ish).

Thoughts?

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I would say Witcher 2 all the way. One of the best RPGs of recent release imo. The story is very engaging/compelling/fun as you requested. Combat mechanics could be subjective, but I certainly liked them, they had more depth than KoA does.

KoA feels much more arcadey in combat. Don't know if that changes later in the game as I stopped playing fairly quickly and didn't really enjoy the game.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I would say Witcher 2 all the way. One of the best RPGs of recent release imo. The story is very engaging/compelling/fun as you requested. Combat mechanics could be subjective, but I certainly liked them, they had more depth than KoA does.

KoA feels much more arcadey in combat. Don't know if that changes later in the game as I stopped playing fairly quickly and didn't really enjoy the game.

Well, does The Witcher 2 rely entirely on the dice-roll style of combat mechanics? As opposed to more fluid, real-time (or, at least, similar to such?) combat? I assume it still has the classic RPG-approach to variable damage and whatnot, but after 10 clicks to swing a sword, for example, do you get 10 swings fairly close to when you made the command? Or, do you end up with just a handful, where it feels delayed?

Does it feel like Oblivion and KOTOR, or does it feel more like an Action title?

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I think witcher 2 is $20 at target right now. Get witcher 2.

I see. If I go that route, how do I go about getting the benefits of the Enhanced Edition, and what would that cost?

Oooo. On thewitcher.com, it appears the Enhanced Edition is basically a free upgrade for owners of the original version. That basically settles that.

Now, if I purchase a retail copy, do I have to use the damned disc without no-disc patch tools? I rarely purchase actual disc-based games anymore, not sure what the trend is for this anymore.

Last edited:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I must say i'm having a blast with KoA at the moment. It's a great RPG, pretty simple though but lots to do and fun quests.

TW2 though is some serious RPG. Wouldn't pass on that one.

Depends on what mood you're in at the moment; if you're looking for a light-minded RPG with vibrant colors, cool quests, a bit linear, get Amalur. If you're into something more "mature" and serious, get TW2.

Both title, imo, you won't regret getting them.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I must say i'm having a blast with KoA at the moment. It's a great RPG, pretty simple though but lots to do and fun quests.

TW2 though is some serious RPG. Wouldn't pass on that one.

Depends on what mood you're in at the moment; if you're looking for a light-minded RPG with vibrant colors, cool quests, a bit linear, get Amalur. If you're into something more "mature" and serious, get TW2.

Both title, imo, you won't regret getting them.

I guess I might be able to get Amalur later on, and like this one, get it for cheaper at that point. :D
It definitely looks up my alley, but after reading a bit about the story of TW2, it definitely seems to have the gritty, mature ("grounded in reality", in my words - excluding everything fantasy-style, of course) flair that I really, really like in the more drama-esque stories.

Enhanced edition is a free patch. The launcher will update the game fully.

Beat my edit. :p

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
Get ready for a smack down with the battle system though, I think I've died more in the first 2 chapters of the game than my entire 10 hours of MW3 MP.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Now, if I purchase a retail copy, do I have to use the damned disc without no-disc patch tools? I rarely purchase actual disc-based games anymore, not sure what the trend is for this anymore.

No. Or you just download a back-up copy from GoG, I would go that route.. as EE is an additional 10GB download. The EE copy from GoG is 15GB.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Honestly, The Witcher 2 is one of the best modern RPGs currently available. Not only is it one of the most technically-advanced games on PC, graphics-wise, but it also has the best storyline of any other current RPG series.

If you appreciate good storytelling, you owe it to yourself to play TW2 on that basis alone.

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
I own both and have played both games extensively. I really like KoA, but The Witcher 2 blows it out of the water. There isn't another RPG on the market that can match its mature story, atmosphere, and gameplay. The combat is hard but fun and rewarding when you get it down. Assuming you have the horsepower, the graphics are amazing.

Best of all, the developer has completly sworn off DRM and has released all DLC (including the enhanced editions of The Witcher and The Witcher 2) for free. If you're looking to buy, I would recommend getting it from their sister company, GOG. Even if you get the game somewhere else, be sure to go to GOG's website and download your backup copy.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I just started my Witcher 2 game last week, even though I've owned the game (GoG version) since approximately three months I think by now. I had to finish the first before going with the sequel. To be honest I couldn't wait to finish the original, got tired of the combat (but otherwise it's a good game overall). From what I've played so far it's very good, and much better than Kingdoms of Amalur in my opinion (which I haven't finished yet, but bored of fast, reminds me of MMORPGs, but off-line, and I've played too many MMORPGs lately to care much about even remotely similar games for too long before getting bored, even if the combat system is good, which is the case with KoA).

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'd sooner try KoA than TW2 myself. TW just left such a bad taste in my mouth that I won't pay any more for TW2 than I did the original :p

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs I have ever played. I would have a hard time recommending any other RPGs.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I own both,KOA is a decent budget game however Witcher 2 is a great game IMHO .

Madia

May 2, 2006
The Witcher 2 all the way. It's a much better game (my vote for GOTY last year). KOA is ok but I'd wait for the complete edition on sale to pick it up. The combat is fun but the story is very weak. I'm about 10 hours into it but instead of finishing it I'm going back to play the Witcher 2 for a third (and then probably fourth) time and after that probably Diablo 3. I'm not sure I'll ever finish KOA. Pick up the Witcher 2 where ever it's the cheapest then use the product key to download the enhanced edition at:

http://www.gog.com/en/witcher2/backup/

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
I own Kingdoms of Amalur and The Witcher 2.

I played for about 17 hours of Kingdoms Of Amalur, and must say it's a little boring. The Witcher 2 is in a class of it's own. Witcher 2 hands down.

However, I just bought The Witcher (1) Enhanced edition, and must say I find this even better than the second one. It actually looks very good for it's age too. I'm also using texture packs, which really makes it even better.

The Enhanced Edition of the Witcher 2 is just released on Steam.

Also, the Enhanced version of The Witcher is very cheap on Steam

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
If you are more interested in combat over cutscenes and long drawn out dialog gameplay, then KoA is your choice.

I've tried to play the Witcher 2 twice now, and ended up quitting at about the same point; the first town you get to outside of the first *area*. I loved the first, but the second seems to be at least half cutscenes and dialog gameplay (which I cannot stand).

KoA I've played through, and will play through again sometime in the future. The combat is more action-orientated, and much less clunky than the Witcher 2. For example, I can get in a group of enemies and use skills to strategically kill them all with flourish in KoA, while in TW2 I spend alot of time rolling and trying to get one enemy seperated from the pack to kill it (clunky-feeling). The only bad thing, is that you can build a character that can make most encounters pretty easy by the last 1/3rd of the game.

Buy TW2 if you prefer :

Mass Effect story type games

Buy KoA if you prefer :

Diablo style action games focusing on levelling up and character building