The Wire: Final Season

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: silverpig
*** SPOILER WARNING ***

I kinda wanted to see that lying author get it publicly. It was a pretty good ending. I was kind of hoping for something a little more exciting as the last few episodes kind of seemed a bit rushed to me, but showing that no matter who you take out there'll always be someone there to take his place was kind of what the show was all about anyways.

at first I thought the lying reporter would be the factor that would unravel the whole scheme.. but alas they chose to end the story quickly. Still a good episode though.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
The scene where McNulty tells the reporter that they're both full of shit was AWESOME. The look on the guys face as he was listening and leaving the police station was perfect.

Oh, and as Cheese was running his mouth at the end, I kept thinking, "Someone's just gonna shoot him in the head after he's done talking". Ding!

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
They've been setting up Slim Charles to take action for years. Yet I was totally surprised when he finally did something and shot Cheese in the head. That was a good scene.

I wonder what Mnutty can do now that he's no longer PO-lice. Maybe he can be a PI

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: torpid
They've been setting up Slim Charles to take action for years. Yet I was totally surprised when he finally did something and shot Cheese in the head. That was a good scene.

I wonder what Mnutty can do now that he's no longer PO-lice. Maybe he can be a PI

I wonder why none of Cheese's men did nothing. No honor, I guess.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari

Why would they do anything, of all people? Cheese himself had zero honor. No loyalty. He even said that in his final scene, in so many words.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Originally posted by: Dari

Why would they do anything, of all people? Cheese himself had zero honor. No loyalty. He even said that in his final scene, in so many words.

I guess you're right.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Ok, sorry I'm late to the party but I like for the whole season to be out before watching them. I can't deal with the one week break thing.

Overall impression of season 5 is that it was entertaining, well acted, etc., but lacked the authenticity of the show's previous seasons. The whole serial killer/crooked journalist storyline felt very manufactured. Also, the rate of people getting popped felt a little accelerated because they wanted to wrap the series up. I'd have to say it might have been my least favorite of the 5 seasons, which still puts it above 90% of the rest of tv, but still a minor disappointment. Sorry it's all over though.

Favorite scene: FBI behavioral profilers detail McNulty to perfection. His expression while listening transforms from amused to slightly frightened as they keep nailing point after point and it starts to hit home. "Trouble maintaining long term relationships..." "High functioning alcoholic..." "Not formally educated but considers himself superior to those who are..."

In related news, after watching the final 3 episodes in a row I went out to get some dessert, and I involuntarily imagined every person I walked passed pulling a gun and blowing my head off. heh

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: sirjonk

In related news, after watching the final 3 episodes in a row I went out to get some dessert, and I involuntarily imagined every person I walked passed pulling a gun and blowing my head off. heh

Errr...:confused: Maybe you've been playing a little too much Doom on acid. I don't think the Wire should make you think that.

/Doom on Acid would be a good name for a band