Discussion The Wii U turns 10 this year

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I found out this week that the Wii U can do 1080p over a component cable connection. If it's not hogging a HDMI slot, it's just earned a permanent spot under my TV!

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was about to say good luck in finding the component cable, but it is the Gamecube component cable that is the hard one to find (glad I have one already as they go for like $300-500 on ebay).

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I was about to say good luck in finding the component cable, but it is the Gamecube component cable that is the hard one to find (glad I have one already as they go for like $300-500 on ebay).

Yeah the GC is the crazy cable that had a Digital->Analogue converter built into the cable itself. This just takes Wii cables, and they're pretty cheap.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Yeah I played it for like 6 hours and it was just slow and boring as hell still. I also hated the stupid waggle controls that were completely unnecessary, as I played it on the Wii.

I did love Ocarina of Time though.

I'm about 15 hours in, just got the Master Sword. Things are feeling a lot more epic now.

Playing it again, I think that a big problem with the opening hours is the music. The soundtrack in the regions in Twilight is just really lacklustre. Abstract, no sense of urgency or tension. Just... weird noise. It really kills the vibe for those sections, and they make up a huge part of the start of the game.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I like the Wii U for the most part, I'm not keen on the big-ass controller that is required to do so many things. That said, I think the Wii U is pretty cool. Mine sits next to the switch and still gets used from time to time.

The thing that bugs me the most is how expensive Wii U games still are on the used market. This only happens with Nintendo games. Switch games used are expensive too.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
A few months later, I just rolled credits on Twilight Princess HD. Still a great game. The overworld was not nearly as big as I remembered, but the dungeons were still excellently designed, and the final battle with Ganondorf was still epic. Definitely holds up a lot better than most GameCube era games

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Been playing some Star Fox Zero the past week. It's actually got some pretty fun ideas! When the controls work, they really work- using gyro aiming to pull off snap shots at an enemy ship in a head on duel, or using the separate cockpit view to pull off a strafing run while flying past a boss. But I think they crammed in one too many different control schemes- did we really need so many different vehicle types, all of which control differently?

Whatever- still a fun game, especially for the £8 I paid for it.

Reactions: JPB

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Been a couple months, but I do still pick it up enough to keep it connected (in terms of consoles I still have connected, I have a NES, SNES, Wii, PS3, Wii U, and Switch on various TVs). I don't think I would have the Wii still connected if for the fact that I can also play the majority of GameCube games with it (the same with the PS3 as I still have a PS3 60GB launch system with full backwards compatability for PS2 and even PS1).

The WiiU was most definitely a botched launch and poorly marketed system. I think it would have done much better if they had simply given it a different name without the "Wii" branding. Yes, the Wii was a juggernaut brand and a huge success for Nintendo, but they utterly failed on the marketing department on this, with most people thinking it was some kind of new tablet accessory for their existing Wii and not an actual new console.

Reactions: NTMBK

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Happy Wii U 10th anniversary!

Anyone else still using theirs?

Still using mine from time to time, and I spent a good bit of money getting rare and Wii U only games downloaded before the e-shop closed this last year too.

Reactions: NTMBK

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Still using mine from time to time, and I spent a good bit of money getting rare and Wii U only games downloaded before the e-shop closed this last year too.

I was tempted to do the same, but it's all tied to a single piece of aging hardware. I know it's going to die eventually, and I'll lose all those purchases. In the end I got the Metroid Prime Trilogy, mostly just because I wanted to play the games again.

If I'm worried about game preservation, I'll look into emulation. Steam Deck looks like a perfect way to do it, with all the gyros and sensors you need and enough horsepower to pull it off.

Reactions: Golgatha