The wife is gone :(

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: Descartes
Wow, no love on my thread, eh? :D

Someone told me recently I should learn to be like you...can't remember the poster here though...it was a few days ago.

Are you being serious, or is this some inside ATOT thing and I'm too out of it to pick up on it?

dead serious...I have no idea why, but they said you were extremely helpful...maybe you have a stalker.

HAHA, good times. In all seriousness, I do try to be helpful though, but much of that is with ATOTers through email and/or PM.

Found it:

Originally posted by: SampSon
There is a person on this forum that you should learn from. His name is descartes. This guy is very successful (in reality). Yet rarely, if ever, feels the need to validate his arguments or himself by going off on a rant about how great he is. He manages to form articulate arguments without having to disclose his career history inorder to validate his arguments. It's very simple, he knows what he's talking about so his posts do all the talking for him. Quaint idea, dontcha think?

Well, that's a very nice compliment. Thanks to SampSon for that.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sciwizam
While it is a beautiful language, thank god you didn't go to school there...the grammar and poetry part were a bitch.

So I've heard. I only wish there were more resources for non-native speakers though. It's hard to find any real treatment on grammar.

If you do know of anything, I'd appreciate some ideas...

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
While it is a beautiful language, thank god you didn't go to school there...the grammar and poetry part were a bitch.

So I've heard. I only wish there were more resources for non-native speakers though. It's hard to find any real treatment on grammar.

I don't know if you can learn it through self study, the best way is to attend school there to learn grammar and everything. While you are there I would suggest buying the textbooks from preK to 10th grade and have your wife help you through them.

After doing a Google search, looks like there is guy teaching Telugu ate UC Davis. This might or might not help, as I was missing a font for the pdfs to work correctly.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I don't know if you can learn it through self study, the best way is to attend school there to learn grammar and everything. While you are there I would suggest buying the textbooks from preK to 10th grade and have your wife help you through them.

After doing a Google search, looks like there is guy teaching Telugu ate UC Davis. This">http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/~vemuri/TeluguBooks.htm</a> might or might not help, as I was missing a font for the pdfs to work correctly.

Good idea, thanks. I'll be practicing a lot with her family of course, but I fall considerably short for any in-depth conversation. I also work with a lot of Telugus, so they help me along as well. Doesn't seem like I'll ever be fluent though. Hindi is considerably easier in that respect, imo.

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
I'm sure the family will definitely appreciate your effort, having seen what you have written here.

About Hindi, I'm sure a fluent Hindi speaker will bitch about how painful it was to learn it in school. I had to learn it as a 2nd language and even though there wasn't that much emphasis on poetry and grammar, it sure was difficult. Once you have enough vocabulary, a sense of sentence structure and conjugation of verbs, you can easily maintain a conversation.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Deeko
lol, WHY IS THIS THREAD RATED 0 STARS???

hahah the rating system is so stupid.

Does anyone really give a rat's ass what rating their tread is given?

BTW-I rated this thread 0 stars. :p

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I love the threads that have 1 view, and 5 stars, lol. :D (courtesy of the author)

Anyhow I gave this one 0 stars, because its become too self-conscious to become 5-star in the midst of all this star-rating attention. :p