The Weather Race

KevinF

Aug 25, 2000
China is making American news with their attempts to control the weather.

Weather control is one of the inevitable steps for humanity in ascending the scale of civilizations.

What kinds of attempts at weather control will America and the rest of the world make? When do you think the weather race will be won?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
interesting topic.

maybe if/when we learn to the control the weather then we will finally be able to predict it correctly in those 5 day outlooks. :p

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
We cant even control our own pollution and you want to control the weather. LMFAO :D

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: B00ne
We cant even control our own pollution and you want to control the weather. LMFAO :D

----------------------------------

Interesting, pollution is just one of many tools you can use to control the weather.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: B00ne

Actually a hell of a lot has been done to control pollution since it first became an issue in the late 1960's. As for controlling the weather I think the most we will ever be able to do is influence it in some minor ways.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The amount of energy required to control anything major in nature is beyond our grasp.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
We could easily control our pollution by simply shutting down all industry and travel and starve to death. It's possible but people don't want to do it.

Weather control is a different thing entirely. It's a technological challenge.

Eventually, I think the way we'll deal with global warming is by reducing the amount of sunlight that strikes the earth. This is sorta weather control in my opinion.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
The amount of energy required to control anything major in nature is beyond our grasp.

Right... I assume you're one of those ignorant people that ignores reality and denies that we are causing global warming?

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Before we can control the weather need to be able to model correctly long weather periods. If we can't predict storms months in advance we can hope to control the weather with out wasting vast amounts of enegry fixing what we screwed up.

Edit: Of course people might try and it will work for a while before killing billions of people.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
China is not doing anything groundbreaking. They are simply seeding clouds which has been around for a while. Now if they could add moisture to the atmosphere or reduce humidity at will... that would be a story.

fallensight

Apr 12, 2006
Please, they cant even predict the weather later today right half the time. Controlling it, thats pure fiction. The cloud seeding they are talking about is a far cry from control.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: blackllotus
Originally posted by: Genx87

Right... I assume you're one of those ignorant people that ignores reality and denies that we are causing global warming?

That isnt denying reality, that is questioning the theory.
Global warming is happening, what is the cause?

The ego of man presumes it has to be him because of course he is the pinnacle of natures creation. Just like man used to think the universe revolved around the earth, including the sun.

Now if you can explain to me what caused global warming periods on earth thousands and millions of years ago then we can begin to assess accurately how much impact man has had in the current period.

Now as to what does Global Warming have to do with affecting the weather on the local level? Not much.

You are probably one of those ignorants who believes a nuclear device can affect a hurricane that has thousands of times more energy than the weapon.