The Warcraft movie

pong lenis

Apr 23, 2013
In case there's still someone who didn't hear about it:
Warcraft (film)

It's mostly based on World of Warcraft. What I don't understand is why they would put a game with such embarrassingly bad writing on the big screen? The only reason people tolerate their cutscenes and dialogue is because they have the Esc key.
Won't it just bomb like all game-based movies?

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
First, this isn't really PC gaming.

Second, the arching story of Arthas, Thrall, and such isn't awful. It is the other parts that are terrible (Illidan basically just moving into BT until some random group of scrubs kill him).

Obviously, they won't focus on content done in WoW, because that is made for players to act out, but the story of how the characters came to be in their states. And, it is a good idea. Look at how well fantasy movies are doing. LotR was huge. WoW is also huge, and a lot of people would go see it.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
It will probably bomb.

However, not all game-based movies bomb. The Prince of Persia, Sands of Time was actually a pretty good movie IMHO and I believe it made decent money.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Resident Evil movies did well and I liked some of them.

KT

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
This is 5-7 years late.

I bet it could have made several 100 million if released in WoW's heyday.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
. What I don't understand is why they would put a game with such embarrassingly bad writing on the big screen?

The only reason people tolerate their cutscenes and dialogue is because they have the Esc key.

Won't it just bomb like all game-based movies?

1) the movie only has to be based in the universe of the game, it is not like it will be a movie following a character as someone plays it. Ever read books based in the starwars universe? or any book based on a popluar game genra?

2) I do not know about you, but back when I started playing, it was one of the main reason to play blizzard games was for the cut scenes. They were massivly inpressive vs the average game which had nothing or drawn pictures while the next stage loaded.

3) not all game based movies have bombed, most that did where B grade movies to start with (budget wise) and so where not going to appeal to the masses at all. Without the masses, the movies are considered to have bombed as they did not take much money in. There are a few directors out there which make basically poor excuesses for fan movies and call then office just to cash in on popular games. The people behind the FarCry move (IIRC) come to mind.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Um, the WarCraft movie is not based on the events that occur during World of WarCraft. It's actually based on the events that take place during the first WarCraft game.

Joeydubbs

Jun 11, 2008
This is 5-7 years late.

I bet it could have made several 100 million if released in WoW's heyday.

QFT...5 years ago I would have been first in line, now I'm pretty meh on the whole idea. Hopefully its good...

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that FF movie, they owe me $8.50