The war against the Talibans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Both have been Managed very poorly, but at least Afghanistan has Justification.

You know, we really couldn't have done shit about the Taliban without your countrymen having our backs and as i get this, thanks to the French sending troops Canada will be staying.

So i can do this knowing fully well that Canadian troops will stand at the border, i think you should be proud to be a Canadian because of it. These are good men.

Yup, our Troops have always risen to the challenge. :thumbsup:

Yeah, i overheard some US troops being locked to home base when we went out and the Canada troops were our backup, they were talking some shit, well that is what the US does in a real war zone, they talk some shit while French and Canadian troops set up snipers and clear zones for us Brits to get through.

The US performance in Afghanistan is fucking pathetic, the US performance in Iraq is fucking worse, now that is in NO way to be taken as a personal insult amongst the brave soldiers that have participated, but to the US as a warmongering whore of a nation, this is justified criticism from a boot on the ground.

I believe we have been promised air support but got NONE, i believe we have been promised artillery but got NONE, i believe as far as the UK is concerned the US can fight as they fucking well please but don't sen our men into harms way with promises that you have not EVER had the intention to keep.

We have handled the situation with good men and air support from Canada and France but we woule NEVER even had set foot into this zone knowing what we know now.

It's not much different in Iraq right now, ask any current soldier if he can get air support, he'll tell you that it's been since the surge since they actually had air support.

The illusion of not needing air support took precedence over actually needing it every day.

Says a man who would be posting in German if the USA hadn't saved your asses TWICE! :);

OK, had to say it. ;)

I agree that our troops are severely hobbled by the politicians both in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Vietnam was really no different.

Our politicans send men into war, then tie their hands and don't let them do what needs to be done to fucking win the dammed thing.

That puts added stresses on the troops in the field, and causes a lot more of them to die needlessly.

It's an understood fact that men will die in war, but letting them die needlessly is a dishonor to them and a waste of manpower.

Fight the fucking war, kill the enemy, don't bargain with them, don't negotiate over a few square kilometers of ground...kill them and get it done.

Politicans rarely have any personal stake in war, so it just doesn't matter to them.

IIRC, you can count on one hand the number of children of US Congress persons who have children or family members serving in either theater.

Bush certainly isn't gonna send one of his precious girls off to fight...after all, HE was too good to do so, why should his kids have to fight in HIS war?

John, I don't know if you really are a British soldier...after all, the internet is more or less anonymous and people often aren't who/what they claim, but I have no cause to doubt your word. IF it is true, then go kick some Taliban ass. I can't help with the logistical problems you and others are facing, I can only offer an old Marine's understanding of the problem.

Not German, possibly Russian.

See, my friend from Canada gets it, why can't you stupid fucks get it? Could it be because your history books are as tainted as the Japanese history books?

I mean, you stupid fucks still think you saved GB, right? You think the only way to end the war with Japan was to drop two nukes on them, right?

You are fucking insane if you think that, the war was indeed over with Japan, afaik we already had the deal that was the same fucking deal as after you killed hundreds of thousands just to test your nuclear bombs on a live poulation, kinda like Saddam did, eh?

It seems to me that Japan isn't the only nation with docrored history books.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Its quite an Impassioned argument JOS------------Other than your first line, which clearly proves that you do not have a fucking clue about WWII, we fought it, we took the casualties and Roosevelt said "we will not get involved in Europes war" you came late to the fucking party, and what the fuck were you supposed to do when Japan bombed your lazy arses and Germany declared war on your sorry butts? Say NO THANKS?

Don't you EVER tell a Brit you saved us, EVER, you are not a daft person, and you should fucking know better, if the UK and Russia hadn't diminished their forces for five fucking years the US would have been run over.

And don't even try to pretend you saved anyone, EVER. You didn't.

Well, if it wouldn't have been for the US, then everything west of the UK would have been great Russia, so you and us saved them from that, but not from the Germans.

In this war, i count GB, CA and FR as reliable enforcements and that is it, the US should either commit or get the fuck out of here, that the CIA is meddling in the shit isn't helping either, get the fuck OUT and let those of us who know how to fix this fix it, or get used to being under British command.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rather than engage in any pissing contests about who can fight a war better, maybe its time to point out something.

In both Iraq and Afghanistan, a basically joint US British Force fought the respective wars and won them in a brilliant manner. And accomplished the mission with speed and dispatch.

But then the mission transitioned from a war to an occupation. And in an occupation the mission is to win the peace. And the skill sets needed to win a war are very different than the skill sets needed to win the peace.
You may have the skills sets to do the former but seem to be totally failing at doing the latter.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Its quite an Impassioned argument JOS------------Other than your first line, which clearly proves that you do not have a fucking clue about WWII, we fought it, we took the casualties and Roosevelt said "we will not get involved in Europes war" you came late to the fucking party, and what the fuck were you supposed to do when Japan bombed your lazy arses and Germany declared war on your sorry butts? Say NO THANKS?

Don't you EVER tell a Brit you saved us, EVER, you are not a daft person, and you should fucking know better, if the UK and Russia hadn't diminished their forces for five fucking years the US would have been run over.

And don't even try to pretend you saved anyone, EVER. You didn't.

Well, if it wouldn't have been for the US, then everything west of the UK would have been great Russia, so you and us saved them from that, but not from the Germans.

In this war, i count GB, CA and FR as reliable enforcements and that is it, the US should either commit or get the fuck out of here, that the CIA is meddling in the shit isn't helping either, get the fuck OUT and let those of us who know how to fix this fix it, or get used to being under British command.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rather than engage in any pissing contests about who can fight a war better, maybe its time to point out something.

In both Iraq and Afghanistan, a basically joint US British Force fought the respective wars and won them in a brilliant manner. And accomplished the mission with speed and dispatch.

But then the mission transitioned from a war to an occupation. And in an occupation the mission is to win the peace. And the skill sets needed to win a war are very different than the skill sets needed to win the peace.
You may have the skills sets to do the former but seem to be totally failing at doing the latter.

Even if you had a point i'll just ignore it since you AGAIN chose to edit what i said.

Why the fuck do you do that? To piss me off? You have shown on numerous occasions that you do get how to use the fucking quote function and you do know that i'll ignore you if you don't and still you fucking persist, i'm just curious, what the fuck is the point of that?

Other than to piss me off and maybe get me banned, not this time.