The Wall Street Journal said in 2013 the tax increase hurt families, this is the ...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Gawd. Payroll taxes were temporarily reduced in the wake of the Ownership Society collapse.

The rest? Thanks, Job Creators!

Fortunately I don't see your posts unless my login times out.

The above is a prime example why that is. I simply stated some facts. You chose, perhaps rightfully, to assume that the left / Democrats are to blame for that.

That's a failing of your well-known one-dimensional thinking.

There are plenty of people pissed off about having not only their real income go down, as I noted, but also the amount of taxes they pay go up. They're pissed off that the poor now outnumber the middle class. Most of them no longer care how it happened, it is rightfully the fault of current establishment politicians on both sides who have enacted policies to the detriment of the people they are supposed to represent.

Which is why you have both Trump and Sanders. Their overwhelming levels of support is a complete rejection of establishment policies and politics, rejection of globalization, and big money politics.

It's a situation that will only get worse, and people will get more pissed off, if it's allowed to continue.

I'm sure you still don't get it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

The above is a prime example why that is. I simply stated some facts. You chose, perhaps rightfully, to assume that the left / Democrats are to blame for that.

There are plenty of people pissed off about having not only their real income go down, as I noted, but also the amount of taxes they pay go up. They're pissed off that the poor now outnumber the middle class. Most of them no longer care how it happened, it is rightfully the fault of current establishment politicians on both sides who have enacted policies to the detriment of the people they are supposed to represent.

Which is why you have both Trump and Sanders. Their overwhelming levels of support is a complete rejection of establishment policies and politics, rejection of globalization, and big money politics.

It's a situation that will only get worse, and people will get more pissed off, if it's allowed to continue.

If someone lowers your taxes but makes that tax break temporary are they raising your taxes when that temporary break expires?

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say Obama lowered the middle class's taxes but only did so temporarily?

And if the support for Trump and Sanders is so overwhelming then why is Trump in the weakest position for a Republican presumptive nominee perhaps ever and why is Sanders losing badly? That's not exactly overwhelming, haha.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Yeh, yeh, yeh. The poor don't outnumber the middle class although the census found a surprising demographic bulge among the near poor.

Taxes? Funny what righties believe-

http://www.ctj.org/obamastaxcuts.php

The rest is just venting to relieve the stress of cognitive dissonance. That's what Trump supporters are doing. They still believe in all the stupid shit they've been taught if not in the voices that taught them.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
$180K is barely middle class in a lot of major cities.

wut?

or do you mean it's basically upper class in all major cities?

because it is.

Now, how people choose to live with/waste their vast amounts of endlessly disposable income is on them, not their wages.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
He's talking ATOT middle class, which if anything is actually lower class by our standards.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
He's talking ATOT middle class, which if anything is actually lower class by our standards.

for reference:

ATOT middle class is like alkemyst-level income

ATOT upper middle class is like sho'nuff-level income

ATOT %1 is like madoka-level income

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
for reference:

ATOT middle class is like alkemyst-level income

ATOT upper middle class is like sho'nuff-level income

ATOT %1 is like madoka-level income

So, uh, what class are the broke 'n' unemployed?

Extreme-African-3rd-World-Pot-Bellied-&-Stick-Limbed-Children class?

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
You have no idea what you're talking about. The median family income in San Francisco was ~101K in 2014, one of the most expensive cities in the country.

http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/california/san-francisco/

Oh good lord. Here we go with the "median income is actually representative of a decent lifestyle" bullshit.

I'm not saying 180K isn't firmly middle class, but 100k in an expensive shit box like San Francisco is not living high on the hog.

In Los Angeles, it takes nearly twice the median income to afford to rent an average house.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/it-tak...in-income-to-rent-an-average-la-house-5289964

That basically means $50 an hour to afford to rent (not own!) an average house.

At the end of that article:

L.A. was beat out by number one San Francisco (which requires a whopping $79 an hour) and number two Boston ($50). A median New York home requires $44 an hour.

And even more eye-opening:

Zillow looked at dozens of communities in the market, and the reading is weep-worthy. Even in places like Hawaiian Gardens ($72,360), Compton ($73,480) and Pico Rivera ($80,760), the household annual income required to get a house is astonishing.

[Hint for those not familiar with LA -though Compton should be a major clue- these areas are complete shitholes.]

The median household income in Los Angeles is $55,909. The per capital individual income is $27,749.

Living in L.A. is officially impossible.

zillow.png

I know, I know. Cue: "Everyone, including families, should just be happy forever paying someone else's mortgage in some roach-infested shit dive like I do!"

Last edited:

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
LMAO, someone did a hilarious parody of the WSJ infographic that i posted in the OP:

http://i.imgur.com/11Ley.gif

They made those at SAForums. HENRY stands for "High Income, Not Rich Yet". The WSJ infographic and the parody gifs are a long running meme over there.

No one in that infographic is making $180k. The lowest earning is the retired couple pulling $180k after $25k deductions. In other words, they're making $205k. Ignoring that, $180k minus their $22k federal income tax liability leaves them with only $157k per year, or $13k per month. If that's "barely middle class" then the term 'middle class' has lost all meaning.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Oh good lord. Here we go with the "median income is actually representative of a decent lifestyle" bullshit.

I'm not saying 180K isn't firmly middle class, but 100k in an expensive shit box like San Francisco is not living high on the hog.

In Los Angeles, it takes nearly twice the median income to afford to rent an average house.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/it-tak...in-income-to-rent-an-average-la-house-5289964

That basically means $50 an hour to afford to rent (not own!) an average house.

At the end of that article:

And even more eye-opening:

zillow.png

I know, I know. Cue: "Everyone, including families, should just be happy forever paying someone else's mortgage in some roach-infested shit dive like I do!"

So what? MM's bullshit is still bullshit.

And you're still a Free Market! kind of guy last time I checked.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
If your rent is too expensive, just relocate. You're pulling big bucks; ya can retire after a decade.

Talk about entitled rich folks. Yeesh.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
No one in that infographic is making $180k. The lowest earning is the retired couple pulling $180k after $25k deductions. In other words, they're making $205k. Ignoring that, $180k minus their $22k federal income tax liability leaves them with only $157k per year, or $13k per month. If that's "barely middle class" then the term 'middle class' has lost all meaning.

That and the 180k couple is retired, no reason to live in an expensive city since they aren't working. Off to some retirement place in Florida or Costa Rica you go!

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Yeh, yeh, yeh. The poor don't outnumber the middle class although the census found a surprising demographic bulge among the near poor.

Do you EVER say anything that's remotely accurate or factual?

Nevermind, we know the answer.

This is why you're on my ignore list. Correcting your never ending lies and ignorance is something I don't have time for.

You can find tons of other references on this subject, if you look.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/10/middle-class-americans-no-longer-majority.html

Middle-class Americans are now outnumbered by those above and below them and are "falling behind financially," according to a new analysis of government data by the Pew Research Center.
The beginning of 2015 saw 120.8 million adults living in middle-income homes, compared with 121.3 million Americans living in lower- and upper-income households, a significant shift that "could signal a tipping point."

According to Pew's report, the 21st century has seen "middle-income Americans" fall behind financially. The median income of middle-income households fell by 4 percent between 2000 and 2014, while median wealth — assets minus debts — fell by 28 percent between 2001 and 2013.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Nov 25, 2013

This is why you're on my ignore list. Correcting your never ending lies and ignorance is something I don't have time for.

The poor do not outnumber the middle class. The lower + upper income groups combined are now slightly larger than the middle class.

(note: this is in the US)

ST_2015-12-09_middle-class-01.png

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/12/09/the-american-middle-class-is-losing-ground/

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015

That's because the middle class is filled with lazy benefit scroungers that haven't done a days work in their life. Maybe if they got off the couch and did some honest hard work, they wouldn't be in this despicable rut where they're starving to death.

:hmm:

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
That and the 180k couple is retired, no reason to live in an expensive city since they aren't working. Off to some retirement place in Florida or Costa Rica you go!

Meh, I kind of think that it would be nice if retired people could stay where they are, stay close to their families, stay with all their friends, in the community they've spent their whole lives in.

//wipes tear from corner of eye

But wait... you said...

confused.bmp

That does not support your contention that the poor outnumber the middle class.

HEY DUMBASS, THIS IS WHY YOUR ON MY IGNORE LIST! Posts link that agrees with what you said.