The US Military: now a whore to the Bush Regime's private industry companies

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: burnedoutUm.... E-Systems provided logistical support to the U.S TF in the Sinai during the early 80s. Vinnell, Dyncorp and others provided logistical support during various other deployments I participated in during that decade. In fact, Dyncorp replaced our destroyed BFVs during Desert Storm.

The number of US and Local National civilian contractors in Germany, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Diego Garcia, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain providing logistical support in those respective countries can best be summed up as enormous. Private contractors provided logistics in the first 3 countries long before Cheney came to power as SoD or VP.

Speaking of Vinnell, they were awarded a $48 million contract to train the Iraqi Army. Therefore, KBR isn't the big "contract hog" as most detractors beg us to believe.

At any rate, after Robert McNamara left Ford Motor Company in 1960 to take over as Secretary of Defense under President Kennedy, accusations of favoritism were rampant whenever DoD purchased Ford products.

I didn't mean to imply that Cheney invented the PMC-role. I'm saying that he expanded on it and handed the majority of the role to Halliburton/KBR in the early 90s. The Vinnell $48 mil contact is absolutely dwarfed by the approximately $1.7 BILLION in contracts handed to Halliburton for Iraqi Freedom (link), so yes, I do think Halliburton/KBR is a big contract hog. Nobody else has contracts like them right now. Nobody.

Bechtel comes in 2nd at $1 Billion total for Iraqi reconstruction thus far and could receive more.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
As Secretary of Defense under President Bush #1, Dick Cheney privatized the U.S. military's logistical support facilities to companies like Brown & Root. So yes, while "boots & coots," as I like to call them, went to places like Bosnia under Clinton, the PMC-role was founded, supported and handed to Halliburton by Cheney in the early 90s. My problem isn't whether they do a good job or not, it's a total lack of competition. Privatization works best when there's competition to keep the costs low.

Seeing as how you are the expert on this I'll ask you. How are the contracts handled? Lump Sum low bid? Cost+fixed Fee? What is the contract method Mr. Expert?

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: rahvin
As Secretary of Defense under President Bush #1, Dick Cheney privatized the U.S. military's logistical support facilities to companies like Brown & Root. So yes, while "boots & coots," as I like to call them, went to places like Bosnia under Clinton, the PMC-role was founded, supported and handed to Halliburton by Cheney in the early 90s. My problem isn't whether they do a good job or not, it's a total lack of competition. Privatization works best when there's competition to keep the costs low.

Seeing as how you are the expert on this I'll ask you. How are the contracts handled? Lump Sum low bid? Cost+fixed Fee? What is the contract method Mr. Expert?

Don't expect a reply, sir; I am sure he was unable to find the correct answers in his googling.