The US military is darn clever....

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This is the transcript of an ACTUAL radio
conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian
authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995.

Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval
Operations 10-10-95

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to
the North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15
degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

:D

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
They should have blown that lighthouse to pieces. It would have provided a flimsy excuse declare war on, and to subsequently nuke Canada :)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. >>

Hell, we could have made that light house a greasy spot on the map ;)

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
chipbgt LOL! :D
That's a PERFECT example of the American military mentality! I love it so much! :D

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Hey, that lighthouse was tough. It was built like a brick sh!thouse! >>

Must have been a huge swarm of flies circling that sh!t/lighthouse that they were picking up on RADAR :p

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
That would have been one big lobster bake ;)

Cheers,
Aquaman - who is glad to be on the other coast ;)

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
oooooo, lobsters... fresh too, cooked in the waters they live in.

i am on the east coast.

BiB

Banned
Jul 14, 2000
Furthermore no captain of a US ship would be so stupid in what he said &quot;ensure safety of ship&quot;, yeah get in a war with Canada because one of their ship is too stubborn to move. Good one!

M00T

Golden Member
Mar 12, 2000
yes prodigy^, you discovered something quite common... stupidity in the military

Feb 10, 2000
I am not sure this is a true story; I have heard the identical story in connection with a lighthouse in the San Francisco Bay, which really does look exactly like a ship from a distance. I am dubious about the truthfulness of this in that I can't see any reason this conversation would have been recorded, much less transcribed. But hey.

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
Not a true story, just a joke.

<<
&quot;The Lighthouse Joke&quot;
The following is being transmitted around the Internet as an event that really took place, but it never happened. It is simply an old joke like those found in popular magazines:

Believe it or not...this is the transcript of an actual radio conversation between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. The Radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on Oct. 10, 1995.

US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

CND reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.

CND reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA*, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

CND reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Note: USS Coral Sea (CV 43) was decommissioned and scrapped 2 July 1993. Other ships' names appearing have been USS Missouri (BB 63) which was decommissioned on 31 March 1992 and USS Nimitz (CVN 68) which is an active ship.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/questions/litehuse.html

SufferinSuccotash

Jun 4, 2000
I heard this story about 10 years ago, long before its supposed October 1995 occurence. Moreover, if it did happen in October of 95, as the first paragraph claims, it would sure take longer than 10 days to clear through all the bureaucracy, making the radio conversation release (probably) wrong, too.

Makes a good joke, though. :)