The US is comprised of 11 distinct cultures

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
How about this map?
TkequUa.png

This looks about right to me, particularly the NY and FL portions.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Yeah, this whole study/paper/concept has been around for quite a while, and I am not sure I agree with at least some of it, particularly the map.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
How about this map?
TkequUa.png

I like this one a lot more, including for my area, lots of shared history, culture, and families between Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and South Dakota. If I had to add another state into that mix, it would probably be Iowa.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Apparently I live in Socal. Which I guess is different than norcal? What a revelation.

Yeah, obviously Norcal and Socal are somewhat different. But what about Socal and the Southwest? I thought they must share a few similarities?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
we are a melting pot of good ideas. Thats what we should be. This division stuff is bullshit.

The more I read Trumpist comments on the web, the more I think we would be better of jettisoning off where the Trumpists seem to come together. More than ever we are a divided nation.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
The more I read Trumpist comments on the web, the more I think we would be better of jettisoning off where the Trumpists seem to come together. More than ever we are a divided nation.

The problem is that they are occupying good land, much of which belongs to Native Americans.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
The problem is that they are occupying good land, much of which belongs to Native Americans.

You mean the Dakotas, Oklahoma, and Arizona? I mean, the former can grow corn and wheat alright, but not exactly what I would call prime real-estate. Unless by "much of which belongs to Native Americans" you mean the near-entirety of America, in which case I'll take California over most red states, geographically-speaking at least.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
You mean the Dakotas, Oklahoma, and Arizona? I mean, the former can grow corn and wheat alright, but not exactly what I would call prime real-estate. Unless by "much of which belongs to Native Americans" you mean the near-entirety of America, in which case I'll take California over most red states, geographically-speaking at least.

Much of the Dakotas, Wyoming, and Nebraska actually legally belong to the Sioux tribes, as enshrined in treaties that are still currently legally binding.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I don't think the author's premise of defining America's different subcultures by geographic region alone is terribly sound. The are many important cultural divides. For example, based on population density, i.e. urban versus rural. Two people living in major cities of different states may have more in common than a urban dweller versus a rural person within the same state.

Other relevant cultural divides are based on ethnicity, social class, age, and religion.

Take a look at the right/left dichotomy that is really a culture war disguised as political partisanship. It's old versus young, rural versus urban, white versus non-white, religious versus secular, and south versus northeast/west. All of these distinctions undergird the cultural divide. Not just region. It's why every state has red and blue districts.