The US is comprised of 11 distinct cultures

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Pretty interesting read. Comes with a map and everything...

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-11-nations-of-the-united-states-2015-7

"
In his fourth book, "American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures in North America," award-winning author Colin Woodard identifies 11 distinct cultures that have historically divided the US.

"The country has been arguing about a lot of fundamental things lately including state roles and individual liberty," Woodard, a Maine native who won the 2012 George Polk Award for investigative reporting, told Business Insider.

"[But] in order to have any productive conversation on these issues," he added, "you need to know where you come from. Once you know where you are coming from it will help move the conversation forward."

Here's how Woodard describes each nation:

Yankeedom
Encompassing the entire Northeast north of New York City and spreading through Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, Yankeedom values education, intellectual achievement, communal empowerment, and citizen participation in government as a shield against tyranny. Yankees are comfortable with government regulation. Woodard notes that Yankees have a "Utopian streak." The area was settled by radical Calvinists.

New Netherland
A highly commercial culture, New Netherland is "materialistic, with a profound tolerance for ethnic and religious diversity and an unflinching commitment to the freedom of inquiry and conscience," according to Woodard. It is a natural ally with Yankeedom and encompasses New York City and northern New Jersey. The area was settled by the Dutch."

More at the link above.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Yeah this is silly. It's like the writer took a snapshot of these regions 100+ years ago, a snapshot of them today, and then tried to fuse them. Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire have more in common with NYC than Boston? Some it is blatantly factually inaccurate; they describe "El Norte" as being "the borderlands of the Spanish-American empire", but with several hundred mile error. Hispanic culture "dominates" San Diego? Laughable.

I was hoping this would be more an investigation into the differences between rural Midwest/Rust Belt whites, suburbia, affluent urban groups, urban blacks, rural Southern blacks, etc, and the various ideological things that define each. Basically just a clickbait list that could have been created on an alternate-history fan forum in an hour.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah this is silly. It's like the writer took a snapshot of these regions 100+ years ago, a snapshot of them today, and then tried to fuse them. Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire have more in common with NYC than Boston? Some it is blatantly factually inaccurate; they describe "El Norte" as being "the borderlands of the Spanish-American empire", but with several hundred mile error. Hispanic culture "dominates" San Diego? Laughable.

I was hoping this would be more an investigation into the differences between rural Midwest/Rust Belt whites, suburbia, affluent urban groups, urban blacks, rural Southern blacks, etc, and the various ideological things that define each. Basically just a clickbait list that could have been created on an alternate-history fan forum in an hour.

You'd have to read the book to get all the in-depth analysis. They aren't going to give it all away, just give a teaser.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 25, 2013

Cool analysis. Are you ever going to read the book to find out if you are correct?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
It obvious the author has not spent much time in rural areas of Yankeedom, they have many of the same traits as the rednecks in the south. More than a few of them would fit into Hillary's basket of deplorables yet they vote Democrat because of their union ties.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
we are a melting pot of good ideas. Thats what we should be. This division stuff is bullshit.

Reactions: MongGrel

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I read the borders of the map wrong, NYC is included in "New Netherland", my bad there. If the summary sounds like bullshit though, I'm not compelled to give the full thing a chance. But I'll tell you what I've already managed to "learn" from chapter 20, "Founding the Left Coast"

1. The Pacific Coast cities have always been "allied" with the Northeast and "at odds" with the Rockies and South
2. Tiny villages in California pre-Gold Rush have more claim over being the state's progenitors than the orders-of-magnitude more that came due to the Gold Rush (who were barbarians, by the way)
3. The tiny minority of Yankee intellectuals in California are responsible for the state being a hub of technology and commerce 100 years later (these are exact same Yankee transplants apparently wanting the Supreme Court to uphold protection of the Sabbath day btw)

Then from chapter 27, "The Struggle for Power I: The Blue Nations"

1. The Northeast was a liberal utopia that fought for "the common good" and taxes for social programs as early as the 1840s (war pensions for Union soldiers post-Civil War is the closest thing I see to support for this)
2. "New Netherland", including the states I mentioned earlier is obviously supportive of said programs since New York City relies on public infrastructure to exist
3. Support for local public infrastructure was a major ideological influence on interstate alliances between regions, as was granting pensions for soldiers
4. Pre-Depression Republicans loved the shit out of progressive taxes and federal government, and Wilson, the Southerner under whom the 16th amendment passed... well, he existed too (let's just ignore that Southern states largely adopted the amendment first and "Yankeedom" and "New Netherland" were among the last to sign, or rejected it)
5. The 40s through 70s is confusing and messy, let's just talk about the 80s onwards when defining the Yankeedom/New Netherland/Left Coast alliance

This is actually embarrassing to read. It's like the author started in chronological order of the colonies/states, set that as his base, and then tried to pigeonhole everything into those founding borders as hard as he could. All he does is cite very famous laws, events, and the birthplaces of presidents, and smashes them all together in a way to create an easy story. I mean you could probably take every time he says "Yale-educated" and substitute it for "sorcery-practicing", every Westerner and Southerner for "dwarvenkin", every citizen of "Yankeedom" for "half-elf", "Civil Rights Act" with just the way he chooses to tell the story and define the country is like reading generic fantasy. Awful.

EDIT: lmao, the very last section of the book IS an alternate-history bit about what would happen if the South seceded successfully, using Quebec as a reference. And somehow "New France" fits into this because apparently Southern Louisiana is the least religious part of the country? News to me. Unless I'm reading this wrong and they're actually saying that Louisiana and Quebec are still part of the same nation to this day, in which case, double lmao.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
Are you ever going to become a citizen of the United States so we give a rat's ass what you think?

aww, so cute when you're trying to be edgy and tuff

chihuahua_growl.jpg

Reactions: MongGrel

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I like how Chicago is it's own nation. Rahm Emanuel should be their prime minister. What a wonderful country, with people so big and round.

Apparently I live in Socal. Which I guess is different than norcal? What a revelation.