The unofficial *nix screenshot thread!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Doh! Sorry it didn't go well for you. I know Arch has a wiki on LightDM, but I didn't pay much attention to it. What security issues did you find?
I was looking at the AUR package for it today. Apparently the $PATH issues has been fixed or it looks that way at least.

The security issue was it writes files to the users \home as root. It may or may not cause issues but the openSUSE devs were a bit concerned. The LightDM devs said they hoped that it would be fixed before Ubuntu 11.10 was shipped. I've not been able to find the bug report again though. :hmm:

I am hoping that lightDM is really DM agnostic so that it can easily be used with windows managers and the like without the bloat of Gnome or KDE.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The security issue was it writes files to the users \home as root. It may or may not cause issues but the openSUSE devs were a bit concerned. The LightDM devs said they hoped that it would be fixed before Ubuntu 11.10 was shipped. I've not been able to find the bug report again though. :hmm:

I am hoping that lightDM is really DM agnostic so that it can easily be used with windows managers and the like without the bloat of Gnome or KDE.

Looks like it was fixed last month...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/834079

I agree regarding LightDM. I'm in the process of deGnoming my system, and I like the idea of an independent display manager.

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Ubuntu 12.04 pre-alpha 1 with the Launcher Panel on the bottom (instead of the left).

vindsl-desktop-30-oct-2011.png

vindsl-desktop-30-oct-2011-2.png

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
How do you guys get conky to look so nice? I tried following one of Vin's dumps from some other thread, but my conky ended up looking all messed up and spanned half of the screen :(

I screwed around with conky for a week until I finally just said F it. I got it to work OK, it just seemed to be completely eating up my resources for some reason. I didn't need to see the forecast that bad.

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007
I decided to roll my own widgets... hehe

RollYourOwn.png

The rest of the desktop is just plain old stock Ambiance theme in 11.10 - No icons, with panel hidden.

OT - I never noticed that wineserver is running lol.

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007
And here is the new and improved desktop with my somewhat-finalized widgets :)
desktop.png

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I moved to KDE 4 from Gnome 3. XFCE isn't for me.

How come you don't like Xfce? It's a little unfinished compared to my beloved Gnome2, but close enough. I never really cared for KDE. It always struck me as kind of "plastic" looking, or something. What I need to find is some decent panels that work well with Enlightenment. I like almost everything about it but the panel system. Gnome2 panels with Enlightenment windows would be perfect :^)

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hmm, I don't have a GUI on my main Linux box .... That said, it doesn't have a monitor either....

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
How come you don't like Xfce? It's a little unfinished compared to my beloved Gnome2, but close enough. I never really cared for KDE. It always struck me as kind of "plastic" looking, or something. What I need to find is some decent panels that work well with Enlightenment. I like almost everything about it but the panel system. Gnome2 panels with Enlightenment windows would be perfect :^)
It's the small niggling stuff that adds up. It has a lot of potential but it isn't there as yet.

That said, I'm back with Gnome 3. KDE 4 is really buggy! :|

With all that has been said about Gnome 3, it's still the best*, imo.

*I have not used Unity.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Here's my newest. My desks don't really change that much. I have it setup the way I like, so it's only small details that move. I did get real transparency working with conky. It was bothering me that it wasn't snowing behind the display. One of lifes' small victories :^D

0pzDY.jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You always have nice looking desks Vin. Very polished, with great attention to detail :^)

I changed mine again. I don't usually switch so fast, but I liked this paper. It's a departure from what I usually use. I tend to stick to dark, natural themes. This one's kind of cutesy, but I like it for Xmas :^)

wKjE6.jpg

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
You always have nice looking desks Vin. Very polished, with great attention to detail :^)

I changed mine again. I don't usually switch so fast, but I liked this paper. It's a departure from what I usually use. I tend to stick to dark, natural themes. This one's kind of cutesy, but I like it for Xmas :^)

I like it too - where'd you get it?

Here's my laptop - nice and simple

r4Ayt.jpg

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com

wKjE6.jpg
Good job, man!

Looks great! :thumbsup:

VinDSL

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.lenon.com
Ppl seem to like this in the Ubu Forums... most usual comment: "Trippy".

Thought I'd post it here, for shitz n' giggles...

vindsl-desktop-31-dec-2011-2.png

ThatsABigOne

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
That looks very nice. I like seeing that you are using a Pentium 4. :D I just revived a P4 laptop from 2004. It has not been turned on for last 2.5years, but I took it apart and soldered some things, and it booted.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That picture's interesting to look at, but way to busy for my desktop. Save a file to the desktop, and it'll take you a half hour to find it :^D