The United States seizes a North Korean vessel formerly seized by Indonesia in 2018

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
Posts require personal commentary. This is your 8th violation.
admin allisolm

1557460799038.png

The move was announced hours after North Korea fired two ballistic missiles more than 300km in its second such test in less than a week.

Prosecutors said the carrier ship, the Wise Honest, was being used to export North Korean coal, a critical sector of the North’s economy that the United States and the United Nations have aggressively imposed sanctions on in an effort to force Pyongyang to end its nuclear weapons program. The ship was also being used to import heavy machinery.
It was the first time the United States has seized a North Korean cargo vessel for international sanctions violations, the Justice Department said. Officials said the seizure is part of a broad plan to enforce the international sanctions and ultimately pressure North Korea to dismantle its nuclear program.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9042780/north-korea-ship-seized-us-kim-jong-un-missile-tests/

Title changed to reflect reality.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
That'll raise the stakes for a nice little distractive shooting war that Trump and his Repub hooligans in Congress can take advantage of.

Remember, nobody gets the better of Trump and brags to tell about it.

I guess those love letters those two were sending to each other was more like two online anonymous sex predators trying to get into each other's skivvies.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
That'll raise the stakes for a nice little distractive shooting war that Trump and his Repub hooligans in Congress can take advantage of.

Remember, nobody gets the better of Trump and brags to tell about it.

I guess those love letters those two were sending to each other was more like two online anonymous sex predators trying to get into each other's skivvies.

Is there an issue with the enforcing UN International Sanctions ?

I have no issue with it. Thumbsup.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

Agree with you that it's no issue at all with the enforcement of sanctions. I do have an issue when those enforcements are used for reasons that benefit a particular individual that is exploiting the enforcement of sanctions for personal gain.

Not saying this is what Trump is doing, just saying that the timing of it together with the current troubles that Trump got himself in wrt his previous announcements of having tamed "Little Rocket Man" when no such thing happened along with the fact that Kim is now going back to his old habits is suspicious and plausible.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I've been waiting for a NK thread for a bit now since they also fired two missiles. Seems no one cares.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I've been waiting for a NK thread for a bit now since they also fired two missiles. Seems no one cares.

We were waiting for you! :D

For my part I'm more concerned about DC than NK and it seems that it was a matter of time before Kim was going to try this again since that's what he does. I was waiting for a Twitter fit on the part of Trump but he decided to take a ship instead likely in an attempt to distract from his upcoming thrashing.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

I'm still uncomfortable with the way sections are used in the modern world.

It's fine if country A decides to cease all trade with country Z.
It's fine if country A gets its ally countries B, C, and D to cease all trade with Z as well.
I'm also fine with country A ceasing all trade with countries X and Y if they continue to trade with Z.

I'm not entirely comfortable with country A stopping Z trading with X or Y by force though. That's getting into acts of war territory there.

That said the NK regime is horrific so I'm not going to shed any tears of the seizure of that ship. It might have been better to target the recipient of the coal with the threat of sanctions for trade with NK though.

Reactions: dank69

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Meanwhile the civilians are now down regulated from 300grams of carrot pr day to 270 grams..
I am just making this shit up... but you know who it hurts in the end...

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Meanwhile the civilians are now down regulated from 300grams of carrot pr day to 270 grams..
I am just making this shit up... but you know who it hurts in the end...

The civilians are living in a dystopian hell hole regardless of sanctions.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The ship seizure was done over a year ago (April, 2018) but just announced. I presume the announcement was for distraction purposes and/or to the Trump Administration is doing something in reaction to the latest NK provocation.

Trump and Bolton are spoiling for a war with Iran-this is just a sideshow. One that could turn hot in literally a minute.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The civilians are living in a dystopian hell hole regardless of sanctions.

There is an argument to be made that many broad sanctions just hurt the population at large since the ruling class doesn't often sacrifice much if at all as available resources shrink. Also, the utility of sanctions to get rogue states to change course has a really mixed history with some high profile (ongoing) failures

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

It doesn't bother me either, but what does is a greater enemy than Kim resides in Moscow and sanctions are bent or broken to accommodate that threat.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
There is an argument to be made that many broad sanctions just hurt the population at large since the ruling class doesn't often sacrifice much if at all as available resources shrink. Also, the utility of sanctions to get rogue states to change course has a really mixed history with some high profile (ongoing) failures
I get that argument. I also get the extend, embrace, extinguish thing might work better as well but I think that the regular folk in NK are going to live in a hell hole regardless of sanctions.

Reactions: pcgeek11