The United States Federal Government is AWOL apparently

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
That US graph is the most disheartening thing I think I have seen this entire time. I was already shitting bricks 8 days ago when it was a straight line about 3 degrees steeper than the slope of the graph of the logarithm of deaths in Italy. But god not only steeper to begin with, but getting even steeper. Death panels in our hospitals coming soon, especially in Washington, California, New York, and Florida.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
That US graph is the most disheartening thing I think I have seen this entire time. I was already shitting bricks 8 days ago when it was a straight line about 3 degrees steeper than the slope of the graph of the logarithm of deaths in Italy. But god not only steeper to begin with, but getting even steeper. Death panels in our hospitals coming soon, especially in Washington, California, New York, and Florida.
Yea, it's scary out here in WA. Only been out to the grocery store twice in the last month. Clean my mail. Makes me feel better.
EDIT: And we've requested to be declared to be an Emergency, but our governor is a snake, so who knows.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Florida is a ticking virus bomb about to blow, based on this live flu-like symptoms map from a smart thermometer company.

The map shows “atypical” reports of flu-like symptoms, meaning the typical # of seasonal flu cases for this time of year has already been subtracted.

a8f341047c435f9c792a6ef87b6fee18.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: DarthKyrie

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
We need to seal Florida off from the rest of the country. Hey dipshit, here's a place for your wall, and it's all flat!

These spring breakers all need a grown, 200+ lb man to slap the absolute shit out of them. I hope America's FYGM attitude and obsession with individualism both get overhauled after this crisis, assuming we still have a country after weathering both Trump and covid19.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Florida is a ticking virus bomb about to blow, based on this live flu-like symptoms map from a smart thermometer company.

The map shows “atypical” reports of flu-like symptoms, meaning the typical # of seasonal flu cases for this time of year has already been subtracted.

a8f341047c435f9c792a6ef87b6fee18.jpg

it makes sense it came back via a cruise ship and that would be florida. Probably weeks ahead of everyone else and didnt know it.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
We need to seal Florida off from the rest of the country. Hey dipshit, here's a place for your wall, and it's all flat!

These spring breakers all need a grown, 200+ lb man to slap the absolute shit out of them. I hope America's FYGM attitude and obsession with individualism both get overhauled after this crisis, assuming we still have a country after weathering both Trump and covid19.
The east coast is going to get hit really hard. See all those irresponsible kids on spring break co mingling on the beaches of Florida? Well, they are finally starting to close the beaches, but that petri dish of people is going back home to mostly east coast to possibly mid-west destinations . Good luck.
West coaster kids tend to go to the Baja resorts, but fortunately, travel restrictions shut most of that down.

Reactions: kage69

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
DeSantis is to blame for leaving beaches open. Idiot students would have stayed home.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
At least Bush had the civilian staff to lean on. Trump has fired the people who knew anything and, at best, replaced them with nincompoops.

Honestly. My company is working closely with DHS in this crisis, and they have no idea WTF to do. It's chaos and bullshit at the top levels. They are dithering and crucial things are not being done in a timely way.

No wonder Putin backed Trump.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The east coast is going to get hit really hard. See all those irresponsible kids on spring break co mingling on the beaches of Florida? Well, they are finally starting to close the beaches, but that petri dish of people is going back home to mostly east coast to possibly mid-west destinations . Good luck.
West coaster kids tend to go to the Baja resorts, but fortunately, travel restrictions shut most of that down.
Update, bored idiots are flocking to Westport beaches in Washington per local news. Can't fix stupid!
EDIT: Does not help that it's the nicest day of the year so far, almost 60, no clouds.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Update, bored idiots are flocking to Westport beaches in Washington per local news. Can't fix stupid!
EDIT: Does not help that it's the nicest day of the year so far, almost 60, no clouds.

That's a whole different scene than spring break in FL. People can maintain proper social distancing unless the crowds are big.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
That's a whole different scene than spring break in FL. People can maintain proper social distancing unless the crowds are big.
I will say, since you can drive vehicles on that beach, that a lot of people were in their cars, but it still looked like a lot of people were too congregated (from the limited video footage).

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Good interview today over at Ars, I recommend checking it out.

Larry Brilliant, who helped defeat smallpox, chimes in...

Is this the worst outbreak you’ve ever seen?

It's the most dangerous pandemic in our lifetime.

We are being asked to do things, certainly, that never happened in my lifetime—stay in the house, stay six feet away from other people, don’t go to group gatherings. Are we getting the right advice?

Well, as you reach me, I'm pretending that I'm in a meditation retreat, but I'm actually being semi-quarantined in Marin County. Yes, this is very good advice. But did we get good advice from the president of the United States for the first 12 weeks? No. All we got were lies. Saying it’s fake, by saying this is a Democratic hoax. There are still people today who believe that, to their detriment. Speaking as a public health person, this is the most irresponsible act of an elected official that I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. But what you're hearing now [to self-isolate, close schools, cancel events] is right. Is it going to protect us completely? Is it going to make the world safe forever? No. It's a great thing because we want to spread out the disease over time.

Flatten the curve.

By slowing it down or flattening it, we're not going to decrease the total number of cases, we're going to postpone many cases, until we get a vaccine—which we will, because there's nothing in the virology that makes me frightened that we won’t get a vaccine in 12 to 18 months. Eventually, we will get to the epidemiologist gold ring.

What’s that?

That means, A, a large enough quantity of us have caught the disease and become immune. And B, we have a vaccine. The combination of A plus B is enough to create herd immunity, which is around 70 or 80 percent.

I hold out hope that we get an antiviral for Covid-19 that is curative, but in addition is prophylactic. It's certainly unproven and it's certainly controversial, and certainly a lot of people are not going to agree with me. But I offer as evidence two papers in 2005, one in Nature and one in Science. They both did mathematical modeling with influenza, to see whether saturation with just Tamiflu of an area around a case of influenza could stop the outbreak. And in both cases, it worked. I also offer as evidence the fact that at one point we thought HIV/AIDS was incurable and a death sentence. Then, some wonderful scientists discovered antiviral drugs, and we've learned that some of those drugs can be given prior to exposure and prevent the disease. Because of the intense interest in getting [Covid-19] conquered, we will put the scientific clout and money and resources behind finding antivirals that have prophylactic or preventive characteristics that can be used in addition to [vaccines].

When will we be able to leave the house and go back to work?

I have a very good retrospect-oscope, but what's needed right now as a prospecto-scope. If this were a tennis match, I would say advantage virus right now. But there's really good news from South Korea—they had less than 100 cases today. China had more cases imported than it had from continuous transmission from Wuhan today. The Chinese model will be very hard for us to follow. We're not going to be locking people up in their apartments, boarding them up. But the South Korea model is one that we could follow. Unfortunately, it requires doing the proportionate number of tests that they did—they did well over a quarter of a million tests. In fact, by the time South Korea had done 200,000 tests, we had probably done less than 1,000.

Now that we've missed the opportunity for early testing, is it too late for testing to make a difference?

Absolutely not. Tests would make a measurable difference. We should be doing a stochastic process random probability sample of the country to find out where the hell the virus really is. Because we don't know. Maybe Mississippi is reporting no cases because it's not looking. How would they know? Zimbabwe reports zero cases because they don't have testing capability, not because they don't have the virus. We need something that looks like a home pregnancy test, that you can do at home.

If you were the president for one day, what would you say in the daily briefing?

I would begin the press conference by saying "Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to Ron Klain—he was the Ebola czar [under President Barack Obama], and now I’ve called him back and made him COVID czar. Everything will be centralized under one person who has the respect of both the public health community and the political community." We're a divided country right now. Right now, Tony Fauci [head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases] is the closest that we come to that.

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
Maybe he'll learn something from the experience, should he survive. Probably not. He'll be right back to the same Libertopian bullshit his voters seem to crave.
It's sad to say this but America is too stupid to learn from this. After this blows over it will be business as usual.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Could we get a straight jacket and a Hannibal Lector mask on the Cheeto soon.

For fucks sake can he stop calling it the Chinese virus already. We will need their help because of their manufacturing capability. All he is doing is getting in the way of everything.

He’s a terrible leader and has no fucking clue what he’s doing.

• Haha
Reactions: shortylickens

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Coming soon to a theater near you...

Chinese Virus: The Invisible Enemy

“The enemy is attacking. It is vicious. In a world at war, only one leader dares to fight for victory”

From Executive Producer Steve Mnuchin and Director Dinesh D’Souza comes a harrowing tale of LEADERSHIP. COURAGE. SACRIFICE!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
So I looked it up and many sources show One American News is just straight up paranoia and propaganda, they dont even pretend to be news despite their name. If we have politicians watching it we are in serious trouble.