The truth about DeBeers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
Originally posted by: KingNothing
Oh geeze. This link does not warrent deletion. The ad ran in papers and on the sides of buses and on billboards all over. Grow up people!

You mean this ad or this ad?

I find it highly unlikely that the 2nd one was given the kind of distribution you're talking about. ;)

The first is the only one. Your second is absolutely offensive and grounds for you to get a vacation from ATOT!

:|

No one made you click the link...

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Actually, I educated my fiance on the diamond racket from conflict in Africa to the DeBeers monopoly. Once enlightened she actually agreed that a big solitaire was out of the question. I almost got a Canadian diamond (they have laser etched polar bear and serial #) but she was totally spoiled on a rock by then . . . mission completed.:D

I would like to believe the majority of women are not as superficial as men. And according to a Time(?) survey given the choice between Man #1 who is a good provider and Man #2 who is in touch with her feelings (and his) . . . 80% chose #2. Granted, they might have been lying b/c they didn't want to look like gold-digging tramps.

My gender has nothing to do with the offense of the joke. It is demeaning to categorize a group based on the lowest common denominator (stereotype). Decent Asian-Americans, Jewish-Americanss, non-Jewish white Americans, Native Americans, and Hispanic-Americans should be just as offended by Trent Lott's comments or Strom Thurmond/Jesse Helms legacies as any black American.

I laughed at the joke . . . but I definitely felt guilty. The grain of truth . . . hell even a vein of truth . . . does not change the inherently degrading premise. Then again if the principle is no sex before marriage . . . I think it's not demeaning at all.;) Unrealistic . . . but certainly not demeaning.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: KingNothing
Oh geeze. This link does not warrent deletion. The ad ran in papers and on the sides of buses and on billboards all over. Grow up people!

You mean this ad or this ad?

I find it highly unlikely that the 2nd one was given the kind of distribution you're talking about. ;)

The first is the only one. Your second is absolutely offensive and grounds for you to get a vacation from ATOT!

:|

No one made you click the link...

Not to mention that the 2nd has survived an hour in ATOT. Not to mention that your (Tripleshot's) previous post quoted posts that had linked to that ad, which implied you were talking about that ad. Lighten up. :)