The Trump Administration Paid Millions for Test Tubes—and Got Unusable Mini Soda Bottles

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
a bit shocking but not surprising. there is absolutely no vetting on vendors, a doubt in the previous admin this would have gotten by.

technically not mini soda bottles, they are pre-soda bottles meant to be molded into 2 liter bottles.

Preforms, the small tubes also known in the plastics industry as “baby soda bottles” or “blanks,” have a following among elementary school science teachers and amateur scientists, but they don’t meet rigorous laboratory standards. They’re much cheaper than glass vials and can be sealed off with a soda bottle cap. When inflated with high-pressure air, the soft plastic expands to the size of a 2-liter soda bottle.

Last edited:

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
a bit shocking but not surprising. there is absolutely no vetting on vendors, a doubt in the previous admin this would have gotten by.

technically not mini soda bottles, they are pre-soda bottles meant to be molded into 2 liter bottles.
Unusable, hardly? Fill them with soda. The way trump goes through the stuff, it's like a month supply. Plus they are a perfect fit for his baby hands.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I'd like to see the specifications of the kits that we're ordered, who at the office of emergency management signed of on the deal, and the entire contract.
This stuff isn't done on a hand shake unless all of the rules are tossed out the window. I've done some government contracting, and had specifications that called out the thickness of the paint on the finished product. There is more to this story.

Reactions: pcgeek11

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Any group doing a tally of how much money wasted by this administration?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I'd like to see the specifications of the kits that we're ordered, who at the office of emergency management signed of on the deal, and the entire contract.
This stuff isn't done on a hand shake unless all of the rules are tossed out the window. I've done some government contracting, and had specifications that called out the thickness of the paint on the finished product. There is more to this story.

Incompetence this big starts at the top. What you’ll find is trumps fingerprints all over it but I’m sure you’ll find someone, anyone else to blame.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Unfortunately there isn’t more to this story. This administration spent a ton of money buying shit that wouldn’t work for its intended purpose because they are incompetent and wanted to appear to be doing something. These are the same assholes who signed a contract for 5 million masks at $10 each with a company that has never provided PPE or medical equipment before while ignoring the domestic manufacturer that was offer to sell masks at 1/10 the price of the government would give them a longer term contract to sustain their production lines.

Feb 4, 2009
Typical Trump, grab the cheapest quickest solution and don’t bother doing follow up because the guy running the program looks good and fits the part.

I don’t want to give the President too much crap over this because during an emergency mistakes will be made.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Typical Trump, grab the cheapest quickest solution and don’t bother doing follow up because the guy running the program looks good and fits the part.

I don’t want to give the President too much crap over this because during an emergency mistakes will be made.
If this was an isolated screw up I would agree but it isn't and frankly this happens because of poor leadership not building the correct organization or culture so that when the shit hits the fan things are done correctly.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
If this was an isolated screw up I would agree but it isn't and frankly this happens because of poor leadership not building the correct organization or culture so that when the shit hits the fan things are done correctly.
And obvious crony deals. I smell Jared.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Wait... an emergency... what emergency? This is just a hoax perpetuated by the democrats and the fake news media.

/s