The thing I most hate about Fox News

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002
It's not the maniacal right wingers on there (I like them a lot), it's not the unfair and unbalanced right wing views (I like them a lot, too). It's the loud azz and totally annoying music they throw into all of their intros. Take any of their shows. The opening for each of them is just a bunch of loud noise mixed in with whizzy MTV type graphics and fast camera tricks, etc.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
You know that old saying about simple things and simple minds right?

Oooooooooh.....the pretty graphics and catchy music...;)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Fox news isn't news it's propaganda at a very high level. For example they got a day time show with a audience of right winged nuts and on every important lie they try to put over they ask for a vote by hands. Most of the audience agrees leaving the unconscious impression, if you're not awake, that the lie is a consensus. What a tremendous farce that the news is entertainment. The people need to take back the airways and tax support an independent public television. We really don't need a brain dead nation.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
o'reilly is a jackass. he doesn't let any of his liberal guests make any of their points by constantly interrupting them. :|

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I've stopped watching FOX. I watch CNN and MSNBC and C-span.. or the internet..

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
The problem w/ FoxNews (and some other news channels too - MSNBC comes to mind), is that you've got all these shows devoted to commentary. The last thing I need is some talking head d!pshit telling me what he thinks about the news. All I ask is for is someone to tell me what happened without coloring it with their stupid personal opinions. Maybe send some coorespondents out to get the scoop and the on-scene report.

Jan 12, 2003
I see the usual bashers in this thread, so am I to assume that bashing Fox is now popular in anti-Bush crowds? If so, could you give me a few examples of their 'unfair and unbalanced' news reports? This is an interesting proposition....

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
That is the ONLY reason to watch Fox, for the BABES! :) Really, they hire the most audacious femmes-sort of Sharon Stone types. I wonder what their hiring interviews are like....? Hmmmmm............................................ :),

Anyway, Fox isn't news, it's packaged entertainment for the type of guy who likes Terminator and other action movies. No thinking going on.... O'Reilly may be the most hated man in broadcast journalism. I wonder how many body guards Fox must provide to him?

I much prefer BBC and NPR, although usually CNN and MSNBC are pretty fair. Scarborough is a complete loony though, and that guy who hit the cyclist on CNN (fortunately I don't remember his name) can be sooooo grating.

-Robert

Siwy

Sep 13, 2002
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
I see the usual bashers in this thread, so am I to assume that bashing Fox is now popular in anti-Bush crowds? If so, could you give me a few examples of their 'unfair and unbalanced' news reports? This is an interesting proposition....

Fox News mostly uses sensationalism to keep their viewers tuned in and to attract new ones, it has worked very well so far. The problems I have with Fox is not what is being presented but how it is being presented, which is more through opinionated talk than actual reporting. I watch a little bit of American news, Canadian news and news from Eastern Europe and I can clearly see that Fox is biased even compared to CNN with which I also have problems with.

For instance, the biggest cheerleader of all, Bill O'Reilly, is the worst in this regard. Not only he interviews more people that agree with his views but the ones that do not agree with him are being cut off, muted or even called as "not a very deep-thinking person" in case of Jeff Paterson (a soldier who chose not to take part in Iraq war).

Another example is the way they referred to war in Iraq as "war of liberation" and the logo "Operation Iraqi Freedom". Wasn't the phrase "Operation Removal of WMD" more appropriate to the conflict? Little things like that gave people distorted view of the goals of the campaign. All you need to do is to browse through these forums to see how a lot of people view the war as being about liberating Iraq instead of the actual goal which was getting rid of WMD.

Fox keeps touting "real journalism -- fair and balanced" but I haven't seen a lot of talk on anti-war movement in US or other countries, I saw a lot of "flag waving" though. No matter which side you are on I think that in order to have an informed opinion you need to see both of those sides. Lack of coverage of civilian casualties is another issue.

I'm pretty sure you can find bias in all of the news networks around the world, but some are worse than the others, and Fox is one of the worst I've seen so far.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Siwy

Another example is the way they referred to war in Iraq as "war of liberation" and the logo "Operation Iraqi Freedom". Wasn't the phrase "Operation Removal of WMD" more appropriate to the conflict? Little things like that gave people distorted view of the goals of the campaign.

ughhhhh, wasn't the proper nomenclature the military assigned, "Operation Iraqi Freedom?" In order words, you would rather have your news sources change the name of operations to names that coincide with your views/ideologies regarding the operation...am I correct in assuming this, or did you just think that sounded good? So perhaps you take issue with the D.o.D instead of Fox News for their naming of the campaign itself...

Jan 12, 2003

I'm pretty sure you can find bias in all of the news networks around the world, but some are worse than the others, and Fox is one of the worst I've seen so far.

Strange..one the eve of war, I predicted that Clark was making a move for president just after the shock and awe. If you watched CNN coverage early on and listened to the so-called punditry they dug up, you would think you were watching Al Jazeera. It was clear Clark had political ambitions early on. I also assume you like reading the NYT and LA Times and would consider them 'credible' news sources. In short, it's all subjective, sir.

Siwy

Sep 13, 2002

Another example is the way they referred to war in Iraq as "war of liberation" and the logo "Operation Iraqi Freedom". Wasn't the phrase "Operation Removal of WMD" more appropriate to the conflict? Little things like that gave people distorted view of the goals of the campaign.

ughhhhh, wasn't the proper nomenclature the military assigned, "Operation Iraqi Freedom?" In order words, you would rather have your news sources change the name of operations to names that coincide with your views/ideologies regarding the operation...am I correct in assuming this, or did you just think that sounded good? So perhaps you take issue with the D.o.D instead of Fox News for their naming of the campaign itself...

CNN didn't mind changing the name of the operation to "War In Iraq" as their main slogan, just like the majority of other networks. It's just another example of how Fox plays to the tune of the current administration.

Jan 12, 2003
Yea, okay. So you are saying Fox is wrong for using the proper name of the operation, and CNN was more 'fair and balanced' and unbiased because they changed the name of the operation to something more consistent with their political ideologies. Your hatred is negatively affecting your reasoning skills.

Jan 12, 2003
..then again, maybe CNN will purport that they changed to name of the military operation due to pressure by the Bush administration, which caused them to lose market share.

Dec 27, 2001
I'll take more balanced news with a slight right slant to the radically leftist slant every other media source has. Years of leftist media has, apparently, managed to brainwash and influence many an idiot who now squeels propoganda when any news outlet doesn't incessently try to demonize Republicans like a good, fair, media outlet should.

In all fairness, that leftist slant, since the success of FoxNEWS, has gotten less extreme.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
I honestly couldn't care less about FoxNews at the moment.

If people want to watch the journalistic diarreha that is FoxNews, then so be it. It caters to right wing fascists, and idealogues that don't want the truth but rather a distorted version of it. They know it's not fair and balanced, they know Fox News distorts the truth to the point of using it as propaganda.
You can't even reason with most of those afore mentioned people anyways; how the hell do you reason with people who like being lying to? You don't, we should all quit bitching about it.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz

If people want to watch the journalistic diarreha that is FoxNews, then so be it. It caters to right wing fascists, and idealogues that don't want the truth but rather a distorted version of it. They know it's not fair and balanced, they know Fox News distorts the truth to the point of using it as propaganda.
You can't even reason with most of those afore mentioned people anyways, quit bitching about it.

BS. You got proof to backup your claim that they "distort" the truth? I think you're on to a breaking story, if you have proof, that CNN would love to pick up, if you have proof.

JoeBaD

Banned
May 24, 2000
I haven't visited this board in many months and, ya know, it just doesn't change. Its like a soap opera.

Right wing fascists!!! LOL!

Anyone with half a logical neuron between their ears is labeled a goose-stepping NAZI.

Moony, lucky, smiley etal - get a life.

see ya next month :)

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz

You can't even reason with most of those afore mentioned people anyways, quit bitching about it.

BS. You got proof to backup your claim that they "distort" the truth? I think you're on to a breaking story, if you have proof, that CNN would love to pick up, if you have proof.

You're asking me to prove that FoxNews distorts the truth? hahahahhaha... It's not breaking news, it's common knowledge.

Jessica Lynch? All those 'we may have found weapons of mass destruction'? Just listen to some of those talking heads? Hannity, O Rielly,

Weapons of Mass Deception interview

So you also hold TV news responsible, in some way, for the propaganda that surrounded this war?

Stauber: After 9/11, we saw how the Fox network exploited the terror attacks, wrapped itself in the flag and began beating this drumbeat for war. They exploited the fears that people felt and created what an executive from another network called "the Fox effect."

First of all, the war could have never taken place if the media had done its job of questioning the administration rather than becoming an echo chamber and propaganda arm.

But the very specific story is how Fox used this jingoistic, hyperpatriotic, rah-rah, let's-go-to-war coverage to gain a massive market share. Fox actually became the No. 1 source for most people in the United States to get their information about the war.

The reason we subtitled the book "The Uses of Propaganda in Bush's War in Iraq" is because it wasn't just the administration or the right-wing think tanks, it was also opportunists and networks like Fox who exploited 9/11 and launched their own propaganda campaign for their own purpose. The U.S. would go to war because Rupert Murdoch, who owns Fox, is of that ideological persuasion and thought it would be a good idea. And to gain market share. It's really frightening to see how in the 21st century, there's a huge economic benefit for a TV network for exploiting the fears of a nation to promote war.

Rampton: And the United States is not the only place that this has happened. In the last half of the book we talk about the comparison between the way the war was covered in the United States vs. in other parts of the world.

Just as there is the "Fox effect" in the Western world, there's an opposite sort of thing going on in Arab and Muslim countries. The way they compete for market share is by getting to see who can present the most outrage and direct that outrage toward the United States. The ironic thing is that if you watch Arab television, and you can actually get some of it on the Web now, it looks a lot like Fox news! [laughs]

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: JoeBaD
I haven't visited this board in many months and, ya know, it just doesn't change. Its like a soap opera.

Anyone with half a logical neuron between their ears is labeled a goose-stepping NAZI.

Sounds like someones still bitter about exposing that lie of yours. ;)

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: JoeBaD

You and your words of wisdom will me missed, sir; enjoy the month away from the clowns :)

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002

As a British guy who lived in the states for a while, I have to say I wasn't very taken with Fox news. It wasnt so much that it was particularly unfair or unbalanced (it was just as slanted and biased as certain other news outlets, but in another direction), but its tabloid, simplistic and trashy style. It was quite plainly playing to the lowest common denominator, like a 24 hour tv version of the Daily Mail (for those who know English newspapers).

It was very flash, and certainly easy to watch, but it grated on me.

Oh, and that O'Reilly fella just made me fume - little vindictive bully that he is. Can't remember who he interviewed, but the way he used his power as interviewer to make them appear to say what he wanted them to say, and not give them a point to state their piece sickened me. No-spin.... LoL :D