The the french are populating canada!

WarDemon666

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2000
Isnt it required to speak english and french in most public places?

I can speak french, but i am much more comfortable in english..

Before leaving I accidently said "Merci".. she looked kind of mad

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i went to taco bell the other day and they couldn't speak english either :(

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Originally posted by: ElFenix
i went to taco bell the other day and they couldn't speak english either :(

The ones in California speak english, and have hot Mexican girls at the counters. :D
California Taco Bells > Texas Taco Bells

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Originally posted by: WarDemon666

maybe they had an english translator. Did you ask for one? That was on the Simpsons last night.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
:music:There's no Canada like French Canada! It's the best Canada in ze land! There's no Canada like French Canada! If you lived here for a day you'd understand!:music:

Darilus

Jun 6, 2004

...Why would that make her mad? I must have missed something.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I went into a mcdonalds a long time ago, ordered using the handy "number" system. The Spanish speaking girl working the register didnt know what I was saying... It's a fricking number!

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Modeps
I went into a mcdonalds a long time ago, ordered using the handy "number" system. The Spanish speaking girl working the register didnt know what I was saying... It's a fricking number!

lol, I once had a newbie McDonalds girl who took 5 minutes trying to find french fries on the register. :laugh:
okay, maybe it was only 2 minutes but still!!

BannedTroll

Banned
Nov 19, 2004

Quit your bitchin. There is no reason why those people should have to learn English to work there. Next time go to Sonic and they will give you a book so you can communicate with them.

Darilus

Jun 6, 2004
Originally posted by: BannedTroll

Quit your bitchin. There is no reason why those people should have to learn English to work there. Next time go to Sonic and they will give you a book so you can communicate with them.

:D

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

You need to speak EITHER english or french. Both are official.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000

Except the "all the customers speak English and I'm serving the customers" reason.

Darilus

Jun 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Wallydraigle

Except the "all the customers speak English and I'm serving the customers" reason.

Sarcasm

WarDemon666

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2000
for all the people that asked why she looked mad: I guess she thought I could speak french perfectly.. My girlfriend and others say I dont have much of an accent.. She really couldnt speak english and she probably thought i couldnt speak french, and i left saying "merci"

I always get that kind of idea, maybe its all in my head :Q

BannedTroll

Banned
Nov 19, 2004

:roll: Those customers should educate themselves and learn every language they may come in contact with. Lazy bastards. English is not the official language of the US. It is even worse considering Modeps is in Connecticut. The state practically borders Mexico.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000

:roll: Those customers should educate themselves and learn every language they may come in contact with. Lazy bastards. English is not the official language of the US. It is even worse considering Modeps is in Connecticut. The state practically borders Mexico.

Now that you put it like that, you're absolutely right! Thanks for showing me the son of a bitch that I truly am. To atone I will abondon my English-speaking ways. Buenos dias.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

So to effectivly communicate in the US everyone should learn: English, Spanish, Cantonese, and Canadian French? Afterall we border/practically border those languages. Oh, and while were are it, lets add: German, Japanese, and maybe Farsi, since there are plenty of parts of the country you can get around on knowing just those languages... :roll:

I have said it before and I'll say it again. Making English the national language would solve a lot of problems.

How many of those do you know?

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Rally's... Checkers... I had to have urbandictionary.com open on my PDA just to order!

BannedTroll

Banned
Nov 19, 2004

So to effectivly communicate in the US everyone should learn: English, Spanish, Cantonese, and Canadian French? Afterall we border/practically border those languages. Oh, and while were are it, lets add: German, Japanese, and maybe Farsi, since there are plenty of parts of the country you can get around on knowing just those languages... :roll:

I have said it before and I'll say it again. Making English the national language would solve a lot of problems.

How many of those do you know?[/quote]

Yes. You should learn any language you are likely to come in contact with on a daily basis. You lazy English language elitist make me sick. Why do you think there is not an official language. The founding fathers expected us to evolve and take on other languages.

NightCrawler

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
For god's sake learn english so when we all swear at each other people actually know what we are saying.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

How many of those do you know?

Yes. You should learn any language you are likely to come in contact with on a daily basis. You lazy English language elitist make me sick. Why do you think there is not an official language. The founding fathers expected us to evolve and take on other languages.[/quote]

Your position is that people should be tolerant and understanding, yet your *assuming* I'm an elitist and don't know any other languages. Way to make your case.

What if I told you I'm from Pakistan, I know Farsi, English, French, and I'm learning Spanish? You'd be non-the-wiser. Way to preach tolerance and understanding, do as I say, not as I do...

Anyways. No, I'm not any of the above.... However, living in Texas all my life, I do know enough spanish to get around. Would that qualify as learning the languages I come in contact with on a daily basis?

As for the founding fathers, they also expected for us to become a melting pot, which didn't happen. Ever been to "china town?" Ever hear of the barrio? It's more like water and oil if you ask me. Melting pot..? Must be on low heat.

So, do you expect us to learn every language in the world? Afterall, we don't limit new immigrants to X,Y, and Z countries.

Also, why didn't you answer my question? How many languages do you know?