The "SURGE"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
The surge will be an issue and it isnt hot air. On one hand you have a candidate who called for the surge years before it happened. Another who says even with what he knows today he wouldnt have surged the troops.

Gee, knowing what you know today and still going through with a bad decision? Sounds like GWB to me.

It was quit funny watching him stumble through trying to answer that. Halfway through he tries to unfuk himself with a "well we all know hindsite is 20-20"...yeah, cause your solution would have sucked and the one chosen is working despite you.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
That is small minded logic that the leader of the free world cant afford to be engaged in. Whether the war was right or wrong is a mute point now. The United States started that war, not Bush, and Obama, if he wins, bears the responsibility of disengaging from it in a manner that does the least damage to the region, and our strategic interests. Saying "it wasnt me" will be little consolation to the rest of the world if Iran rushes in and fills a power vacuum left after the U.S. hastily pulls. Obama will bear responsibilty for Iraq after Bush leaves, and he better be willing to accept it.

Iran has no more plans of rushing into Iraq than Obama has plans of hastily pulling out of Iraq. So this is not even an issue.

The surge was a propaganda campaign to extend the occupation in Iraq. Period. Bush wanted to dump his debacle on the next administration. In both those regards, it was complete success. As far as doing what the public overwhelming voted to have done in Nov 2006, to get the US out of Iraq, it was a complete betrayal.
And that's the real FUD here from the Bush hacks spouting their latest spoon-fed talking point. You're trying to blame Obama for Bush and McCain going directly against the wishes of the American people.

And for any "deer in the headlights" Bush or "ramblin'" McCain supporter to call Obama a "mumbler" is the absolute rankest intellectual dishonesty. I don't know what's worse from some of you trolls, that either you're stupid or you think the rest of us are. But I give you the benefit of the doubt and lean towards the former.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: sportage
All this talk on the "surge" working and it was the right step and who supported it or not is hot air.

What Obama simply needs to do is keep focused on a basic fact.
The war was wrong in the first place. Cost too many lives and cost tax payers present
and future way too much money.

So winning something that is wrong in the first place is pretty lame thinking.
So the surge is working... So what?
The question is not the "surge".
The question is WHY in God's name are we there in the first place?

Boasting that a mistake is working is typical Bush thinking.
We need to read between the lines, keep sane, keep focused and reject
this retarded "surge" talk.
Winning something that was plainly wrong is not winning...anything.

Can't change history, the US is in Iraq. Obama was against the Surge and has been proven wrong. He was completely pwn'd on Nightline the other night as he was interviewed about Iraq and the Surge.

The surge is working? Haha, that means we've left Iraq. If we're still there than the surge hasn't worked. One thing the surge is sure to do is destroy more military families and put more soldiers in mental institutions or leave them crazy on the streets. Oh yeah, the surge is working all right.

:confused: That wasn't the purpose of the Surge. And violence is down 80% in Iraq since the Surge occurred. Last month 5 US soldiers died compared to 78 a year ago.

So, yes the Surge has helped.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
All this talk on the "surge" working and it was the right step and who supported it or not is hot air.

The war was wrong in the first place. Cost too many lives and cost tax payers present

Can't change history, the US is in Iraq. Obama was against the Surge and has been proven wrong. He was completely pwn'd on Nightline the other night as he was interviewed about Iraq and the Surge.

The surge is working? Haha, that means we've left Iraq. If we're still there than the surge hasn't worked. One thing the surge is sure to do is destroy more military families and put more soldiers in mental institutions or leave them crazy on the streets. Oh yeah, the surge is working all right.

:confused: That wasn't the purpose of the Surge. And violence is down 80% in Iraq since the Surge occurred. Last month 5 US soldiers died compared to 78 a year ago.

So, yes the worked has helped.

Can you link me to the alternate universe where we did not surge and violence remained unchanged?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

So, yes the worked has helped.

Can you link me to the alternate universe where we did not surge and violence remained unchanged?

No, but you google the quotes from Obama saying that the Surge would not work.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Vic
That is small minded logic that the leader of the free world cant afford to be engaged in. Whether the war was right or wrong is a mute point now. The United States started that war, not Bush, and Obama, if he wins, bears the responsibility of disengaging from it in a manner that does the least damage to the region, and our strategic interests. Saying "it wasnt me" will be little consolation to the rest of the world if Iran rushes in and fills a power vacuum left after the U.S. hastily pulls. Obama will bear responsibilty for Iraq after Bush leaves, and he better be willing to accept it.

Iran has no more plans of rushing into Iraq than Obama has plans of hastily pulling out of Iraq. So this is not even an issue.

The surge was a propaganda campaign to extend the occupation in Iraq. Period. Bush wanted to dump his debacle on the next administration. In both those regards, it was complete success. As far as doing what the public overwhelming voted to have done in Nov 2006, to get the US out of Iraq, it was a complete betrayal.
And that's the real FUD here from the Bush hacks spouting their latest spoon-fed talking point. You're trying to blame Obama for Bush and McCain going directly against the wishes of the American people.

And for any "deer in the headlights" Bush or "ramblin'" McCain supporter to call Obama a "mumbler" is the absolute rankest intellectual dishonesty. I don't know what's worse from some of you trolls, that either you're stupid or you think the rest of us are. But I give you the benefit of the doubt and lean towards the former.

If you are directing your comments at me, just what makes you think I'm a McCain supporter? I know it might be hard for you partisan political hacks to believe, but I'm actually leaning towards Obama, though it might be hard to tell in political discussions since I dont think he's the 2nd coming of christ like many of his supporters. I wont be as disappointed in Obama as many people if he gets elected, because I have not forgotten that fact that while he is refreshing and different than past politicians, he's still a politician.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic

If you are directing your comments at me, just what makes you think I'm a McCain supporter? I know it might be hard for you partisan political hacks to believe, but I'm actually leaning towards Obama, though it might be hard to tell in political discussions since I dont think he's the 2nd coming of christ like many of his supporters. I wont be as disappointed in Obama as many people if he gets elected, because I have not forgotten that fact that while he is refreshing and different than past politicians, he's still a politician.

My comments were to the thread in general. You just happened to get quoted.

Hey, how about a link to an Obama supporter calling him the 2nd coming of Christ? Yeah... :roll:

Quite frankly, I find Hillary supporters to be much more rabid than any of them. Message boards of her supporters are just downright scary. While McCain supporters just have seem to have this endless string of amnesic talking points designed to get them to overlook what a loser their guy is, in between the usual bizarre 'OMG Islamofacsist!' conspiracy theories.