"The strategic reason for crushing Saddam was to reverse the tide of global terror."

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Of course it was. Doesn't everyone know that? This was a holy war to combat terrorism.

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Czar
but what did Saddam have to do with global terrorism?

What are you talking about? I can't believe you are questioning this!!! Everyone knows that Saddam had nukes that could be launched in 45 minutes!!! What, are you telling me that you were going to wait for the smoking gun of a mushroom cloud? You heartless bastard!!!

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
*reads article*

So let me get this straight... by scaring other countries into compliance with a bloody fist, we've made the world a safer place? Is this what you neo-cons call diplomacy?

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: tallest1
*reads article*

So let me get this straight... by scaring other countries into compliance with a bloody fist, we've made the world a safer place? Is this what you neo-cons call diplomacy?

The problem is that most of those nation have no control of terrorist cells like al Qaida who can operate within their borders and rally support amongest the common folks. One of the reasons people like Mohammar Qaddafi of Libya suddenly wanted to play nice with us was because he feared the al Qaida cell that is gunning for him in his country. He has already had several attempts on his life by pro-Bin Laden supporters and now he's hoping to benifit from our protection.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
If you were going to reverse the tide of global terror wouldn't you go after Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Iran, or dare I say it . . . Afghanistan?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
"7. In North Korea, a half-world away from that example, an unofficial U.S. group was shown nuclear fuel facilities at Yongbyon to demonstrate that the world faced a real threat. But the U.S. has given China to understand that nuclear-armed Pyongyang would lead to missile defenses in Japan and Taiwan, a potential challenge to China's Asian hegemony. Our new credibility is leading China to broker an enforceable agreement like the kind Libya has offered, with economic sweeteners tightly tied to verification."

Huh?

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
What kind of tool wrote that OpEd? Libya had a nuclear program that didn't work and a chem/bio program they didn't want to sustain (for various reasons beyond fear of Bush/Blair). The US would NEVER sell a missile defense system to Taiwan . . . primarily b/c most Taiwanese have enough sense to know it wouldn't work.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: tallest1
*reads article*

when words dont work anymore...

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: StormRider

Didn't he support Hamas and stuff?

Yes, but global terrorism is not the definition of supporting one cause, all of which is encompassed within a 2,800 square mile region which happens to be next to israel.

If the palestinians are global terrorists then I guess we now get to call Sharon a global terrorist. Cool, it has a ring to it.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000

Yes, but global terrorism is not the definition of supporting one cause, all of which is encompassed within a 2,800 square mile region which happens to be next to israel.

If the palestinians are global terrorists then I guess we now get to call Sharon a global terrorist. Cool, it has a ring to it.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: jjsole

He also backed the Trade Center bombing.

The PLO was active also outside of the Middle East. Many of the European gangs recieved their funding from the Soviet and Arab blocs.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001

he was host to Abu Nidal (curiously enough he "committed suicide" just before the invasion of iraq..gee, you don't think saddam had him killed so he could discuss his role in training Al Queda operatives do you?)

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon

he was host to Abu Nidal (curiously enough he "committed suicide" just before the invasion of iraq..gee, you don't think saddam had him killed so he could discuss his role in training Al Queda operatives do you?)

He shot himself in the head.....twice...

quite convenient.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
If you were going to reverse the tide of global terror wouldn't you go after Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Iran, or dare I say it . . . Afghanistan?

I'd start with the rogue nations like Iraq, but I'm just thinking logically about this.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon

No, I don't think so.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I'd start with the rogue nations like Iraq, but I'm just thinking logically about this.
What qualifies a country for rogue status? Disregard for treaties? Disregard for international law? Disregard for national sovereignty? Inadequate regard for civilians?

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jjsole

Is it your contention that the Palestinians have never committed acts of terror outside of Palestine/Israel?