The Straight-Talk Express a bit derailed

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
McCain's Misleading Mailer
January 15, 2008
He faults Romney for "providing" state funding for abortions that Romney didn't seek, and courts ordered.
Summary
McCain is sending out a postcard mailing in South Carolina that is misleading on more than one point.

It says that "Romney provided taxpayer-funded abortions," a distortion. Romney's Massachusetts health-care plan faced a court order requiring abortions to be covered.

It says Romney "refused to endorse Bush Tax Cut Plan," but fails to note that McCain himself voted against it.

It says, "Hillary tried to spend $1 million for a Woodstock museum" until "John McCain said NO." In fact, McCain wasn't present for the most important votes on the project.

Full article at factcheck.org

I guess you can separate out claims that he's the only Rep with integrity from political propaganda everyone engages in, but guess I'm still irked about that whole Christian nation should have a Christian leader flap.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
The Straight-Talk Express hit a patch of black ice and was totaled.
Mac traded it in for a Neo-Con Hummer.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
factcheck.org is pretty awesome
i'll still be voting for romney on Feb 5, despite the outcome in Michigan and S.C., positive or negative

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
In trying to lecture Ron Paul about the history of Islamic terrorism, Romney gets a demerit for saying:

Romney: I'd read their writings. I'd read what they write to one another, and that's why when someone like Sayyid Qutb lays out the philosophy of radical jihadism and says we want to kill Anwar Sadat ? when there's the assassination of Anwar Sadat, it has nothing to do with us.

Qutb was a prominent Islamic writer and intellectual whose ideas, including the concept of jihad, are cited as an early influence on modern Islamic extremism. But his main antagonist was the government of Gamal Abdul Nasser, Sadat's predecessor. Qutb was executed in 1966, four years before Sadat became president and 15 years before his assassination. Huckabee correctly noted this fact later in the exchange.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Yeah, remember 6-8 months ago when all the talking heads said McCain was finished, he'd never recover from the immigration backlash, they didn't see how he could come back, he didn't have enough money, no one supported him.....now the front runner. It's been a whole week since NH told the media to go screw themselves.

And yet, I already see them back on the horse, predicting if Romney doesn't win Michigan he's finished and it's over. If Giuliani after spending all that money in FL doesn't win by a good margin, it's over for him. I think these people need to shut their traps. Report what happens and keep their ideas about who's viable, who's deserving of votes, and all other predictions to themselves for their treasured latenight circlejerk sessions.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
FactCheck is obviously a Ron Paul mouthpiece. They don't post anything bad about him.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: bamacre
FactCheck is obviously a Ron Paul mouthpiece. They don't post anything bad about him.

lollerskates

On another note: wow a politician misrepresented the truth, stop the presses this is unheard of!!!!!

But seriously, more or less EVERY political ad either does its best to distort the truth as much as possible without getting sued for slander, no matter the candidate its just the name of the game there.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Sigh.

LOL, are the Ron Paul zealots so desperate they need to hijack all the threads?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: BrownTown

lollerskates

On another note: wow a politician misrepresented the truth, stop the presses this is unheard of!!!!!

But seriously, more or less EVERY political ad either does its best to distort the truth as much as possible without getting sued for slander, no matter the candidate its just the name of the game there.

I suppose we could create a FACTCHECK thread and update accordingly.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Are there really facts in politics?

Where did all those chinese guys get their money from that they donated for Hillary? How come she is not being investigated by the attorney general?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: piasabird

Where did all those chinese guys get their money from that they donated for Hillary? How come she is not being investigated by the attorney general?

I guess because he has a little more sense than you. If you launch an investigation of a leading presidential candidate you better have some information or evidence that they are culpable of something.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

I guess because he has a little more sense than you. If you launch an investigation of a leading presidential candidate you better have some information or evidence that they are culpable of something.

There are plenty of pictures of Hsu and Clinton together, thats all that should be needed.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Yeah, remember 6-8 months ago when all the talking heads said McCain was finished, he'd never recover from the immigration backlash, they didn't see how he could come back, he didn't have enough money, no one supported him.....now the front runner. It's been a whole week since NH told the media to go screw themselves.

And yet, I already see them back on the horse, predicting if Romney doesn't win Michigan he's finished and it's over. If Giuliani after spending all that money in FL doesn't win by a good margin, it's over for him. I think these people need to shut their traps. Report what happens and keep their ideas about who's viable, who's deserving of votes, and all other predictions to themselves for their treasured latenight circlejerk sessions.

What do you think political pundits jobs are? To give their opinion and analysis of whats going on. As for McCain, they said he was dead in July because well the majority of his campaign staff was axed, he was flying coach, and the campaign was on life support.

But they are by and large right. Romney NEEDS Michigan and Giuliani needs Florida. Im still hoping for a real RNC this year.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckem

There are plenty of pictures of Hsu and Clinton together, thats all that should be needed.

Knowing someone is now equivalent to knowledge of illegal activity...thanks McCarthy. Obama was involved, intimately, with a real estate fraudster and made questionable business deals with him even though it was public knowledge the guy was under investigation. http://www.suntimes.com/news/p...ST-NWS-obama05.article

Why don't we investigate Obama? What did he know? How much did he know? Was he involved in the fraud? Who cares? He's said his peace, and there's nothing there. We don't launch major investigations on vapor.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
McCain's Misleading Mailer
January 15, 2008
He faults Romney for "providing" state funding for abortions that Romney didn't seek, and courts ordered.
Summary
McCain is sending out a postcard mailing in South Carolina that is misleading on more than one point.

It says that "Romney provided taxpayer-funded abortions," a distortion. Romney's Massachusetts health-care plan faced a court order requiring abortions to be covered.

It says Romney "refused to endorse Bush Tax Cut Plan," but fails to note that McCain himself voted against it.

It says, "Hillary tried to spend $1 million for a Woodstock museum" until "John McCain said NO." In fact, McCain wasn't present for the most important votes on the project.

Full article at factcheck.org

I guess you can separate out claims that he's the only Rep with integrity from political propaganda everyone engages in, but guess I'm still irked about that whole Christian nation should have a Christian leader flap.

I'm getting sick and tired of semantics on Romneys record on "taxes".

Call it what you want but a fee to the government is the same damn thing as a tax. Romney's record on taxes is worse than Huckabees. Its fvcking semantics and wholely dishonest of Romney's campaign to try and distort things by attacking Huckabees record on taxes, when his is worse. When getting information from the State of MA and not his campaign, Romney raised taxes and fees upwards of $750million per year.

And About the Woodstock Muesum. He wasnt there for the dog and pony show that is called floor debate, or the final vote? So what? He was the one of the sponsors of the legislation. Floor debate is useless, all it does allow people to go on record how they feel. Floor debate doesn't change peoples minds, etc. Most people aren't even chambers during floor debate. Most are only there for the time period they are alloted to speak if they choose to do so. Floor debate is useless, all it allows for is soundbites.

As for not being their for a vote on it? Again big deal, his measure still passed without his vote.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Knowing someone is now equivalent to knowledge of illegal activity...thanks McCarthy. Obama was involved, intimately, with a real estate fraudster and made questionable business deals with him even though it was public knowledge the guy was under investigation. http://www.suntimes.com/news/p...ST-NWS-obama05.article

Why don't we investigate Obama? What did he know? How much did he know? Was he involved in the fraud? Who cares? He's said his peace, and there's nothing there. We don't launch major investigations on vapor.

Similar but not the same. Hsu was one of Clintons BIGGEST fundraisers.

You are either saying, Clintons camp didnt vet him, which would be odd. Or they overlooked it because he was bringing in. Bottom line it is UP to the campaign to verify its donations. FEC cannot do it, the campaigns are supposed to. And yes there SHOULD be an FEC investigation into Clinton campaign finances. There likely will be one, but the outcomes of said investigations usually take longer than the election cycle and almost always end up in a nominal fine.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
if Romney stood by his own record during his tenure as governor a little more, I might be more inclined to vote for him.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Republicans are smarter than Democrats. They don't want any of their candidates to win.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481
if Romney stood by his own record during his tenure as governor a little more, I might be more inclined to vote for him.

Which record?

The record his campaign portrays or his actual record?

They are quite different. His campaign uses semantics and some high quality varnish to gloss over his record.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

the media needs to stop treating this like a horserace.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

Which record?

They are quite different. His campaign uses semantics and some high quality varnish to gloss over his record.

his real record.

I'd vote for a pro gay gay marriage republican with a solid record in the business world who realized that governing takes fiscal responsibility -- which sometimes includes raising taxes -- and not blindly lowering taxes in the face of all logic.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Which record?

his real record.

I'd vote for a pro gay gay marriage republican with a solid record in the business world who realized that governing takes fiscal responsibility -- which sometimes includes raising taxes -- and not blindly lowering taxes in the face of all logic.

A pro gay marriage republican is unelectable in the GOP. As long as theirs the marriage of convience between the fiscal conservatives and social conservatives there will be the pro-life and anti-gay marriage planks of the party platform.

See the real reason Romney is losing support. He comes across as a phoney & as a slick used car salesman all because of his misrepresentation of himself and his record. He is Bill Clinton slick, he could probably do the whole what is is routine.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Although for all this talk of him going downhill he is still currently winning the primary race by a decent margin, so things ain't going to bad.