The Stop Trump Movement Got New Life In Ohio

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I don't see it. The establishment will lose the next 10 elections after they betray the majority of the people. That's not to say another, reconstituted, party won't win elections, but the establishment will be destroyed. The people won't trust their candidates again.

They won't risk that.

Trump is putting the Hispanic vote at long-term risk for the GOP establishment, so yes, they will risk that. The GOP has been building up that vote for decades, and even had 2 Hispanic candidates running for President this year.
So what's going to happen now is that Trump becomes a real politician and breaks all of his promises to you, or he runs as an independent.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
You're dam right. 'Murica DrP. You can keep voting in establishment puppets but we've seen the light and are willing to roll the dice on someone who isn't one.
Yeah, nothing screams 'anti-establishment' like a celebrity aristocrat billionaire.

linthat22

Dec 2, 2011
well, it needed to happen to have a chance of preventing Trump from getting enough delegates to force a brokered convention

If Trump is kept from the GOP nomination, and if Hillary ends up winning, I'm hoping both Trump and Bernie run as independents, we'd have a 4 way split that way and maybe we finally have a chance to burn down this 2-party oligarchy

This. Anyone could see this whole brokered convention nonsense coming a mile away. Just like the whole superdelegate crap on the Dem side, to which they've admitted is to keep out any grassroots candidates.

linthat22

Dec 2, 2011
I guess it's a foregone conclusion Trump is going to get the most votes and delegates. At this point the GoP is banking on being able to reassign the nom to who they see fit through tricks and jerry rigged rules put in place to ensure the establishment always comes out on top. The race now is not to get more delegates than Trump but to ensure his certain majority isn't big enough to circumvent the built in party safety net.

I should've just quoted this.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
This. Anyone could see this whole brokered convention nonsense coming a mile away. Just like the whole superdelegate crap on the Dem side, to which they've admitted is to keep out any grassroots candidates.
The parties have to think big picture. In addition to the White House, there are 469 seats in Congress up for grabs.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't see it. The establishment will lose the next 10 elections after they betray the majority of the people. That's not to say another, reconstituted, party won't win elections, but the establishment will be destroyed. The people won't trust their candidates again.

They won't risk that.

Drax is a establishment wins nut case and is always wrong. Ignore him.

Last edited:

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The Hildabeast is coming for the Presidential cake. Get ready. America is going to be great again!

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Yeah, nothing screams 'anti-establishment' like a celebrity aristocrat billionaire.
Yep. Also, I still don't understand why people think Trump is going to "shake things up." Obama basically said he'd do the same and was completely blocked by obstructionism in the house and senate. Do people think the legislature would just do anything the Donald suggests? Change needs to start at the legislative level, senators and congressmen need to be shaken up before the presidency. I guess that's too forward thinking for Trump supporters?

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Yep. Also, I still don't understand why people think Trump is going to "shake things up." Obama basically said he'd do the same and was completely blocked by obstructionism in the house and senate. Do people think the legislature would just do anything the Donald suggests? Change needs to start at the legislative level, senators and congressmen need to be shaken up before the presidency. I guess that's too forward thinking for Trump supporters?

That's basically impossible. Money pretty much wins every time on the state level!

Bernie could have done a lot if he got into office, even without congress.

Obama wasn't obstructed, so much as he didn't believe in the things he ran on.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
That's basically impossible. Money pretty much wins every time on the state level!

Puppies and rainbows... Was Bernie going to wave away the Constitution as well?

What a dopey understanding of the American political system...

Same issue with Trump. He system is geared towards gridlock.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

This is a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of the Constitution. If you think Republicans weren't obstructing Obama and the only thing holding him back was his lack of 'belief' then by all means explain how Obama was supposed to accomplish these things. (let's assume that Obama is the world's biggest believer in whatever it is you want him to do)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
A brokered convention would be a disaster for Republicans. Not many people probably remember this debacle from 2012. But I think this type of shenanigans is part of the reason why Trump has gained any traction in 2016.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung...ans-and-hands-it-to-party-elite/#efaaad73d4cf

They go ahead and broker a convention that puts up a guy like Kasich that placed 3rd in delegates or Mitt Romney who didnt even run. Put a fork in this party. It will implode and split into smaller parties imo.

BxgJ

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2015
But, it's winner take all now, isn't it? Trump merely has to get 1% more than the other two in a state, and he gets ALL the delegates. Didn't he just get 75% of the states today, including the one with 99 delegates? The GOP is screwed. And, I think, our country is screwed, given such a large number of people who are siding with Trump.

It's a mix, including between open and closed primaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2016

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
lol - Kasich wins one state, Cruz is a religionut, and Trump has won the rest. Yeah, big "stop trump" movement.

Sounds like the GOP may try to ratfuck trump out of the nomination via extra rounds of balloting at the convention.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

They won't risk that.

They've betrayed the people for decades. Trump continues the tradition.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Sounds like the GOP may try to ratfuck trump out of the nomination via extra rounds of balloting at the convention.

Why wouldn't they? Trump basically needs to win the nom on the first vote for his coup attempt to succeed. He's already destroyed their changes of taking the Presidency & fractured the Party base.

It's not like they take kindly to that.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
They've betrayed the people for decades. Trump continues the tradition.
They? They includes your candidate whose husband spread our ass cheeks for the Chinese. I have no doubt hillary will allow them to deliver the coup de grace.

She is nothing but another globalist. The Clinton Foundation is evidence of that. You hate a different side of the same coin. Different face, same farcical story.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
They? They includes your candidate whose husband spread our ass cheeks for the Chinese. I have no doubt hillary will allow them to deliver the coup de grace.

She is nothing but another globalist. The Clinton Foundation is evidence of that. You hate a different side of the same coin. Different face, same farcical story.

No doubt Donald Trump will laugh all the way to the bank as he gifts himself and the other .01%ers trillions of dollars in tax breaks while these people get almost nothing.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Trump has two yuge levers if GOP tries to steal the nomination from him.
First, which everyone talks about, is running as an Independent in 2016.
Second, which almost no one talks about, is running again as a Republican in 2020.
Or both. He could cost GOP not one, but two election cycles, if they don't play ball.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
well, it needed to happen to have a chance of preventing Trump from getting enough delegates to force a brokered convention

If Trump is kept from the GOP nomination, and if Hillary ends up winning, I'm hoping both Trump and Bernie run as independents, we'd have a 4 way split that way and maybe we finally have a chance to burn down this 2-party oligarchy

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I want more of what you are smoking!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Why wouldn't they? Trump basically needs to win the nom on the first vote for his coup attempt to succeed. He's already destroyed their changes of taking the Presidency & fractured the Party base.

It's not like they take kindly to that.
awwwwww