The Sony Xperia Z

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thecapsaicinkid

Nov 30, 2012
You mean the Z they are selling in Germany won't work on most American LTE networks?

And the lack of a micro SD slot, the lack of on board storage and the build quality of course.
Storage is not a budget decision. This is Google we're taking about, they're kinda big into the cloud, y'know? What build quality problems have you had with your Nexus 4?

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I don't consider "the ability to root" and "updates" to be independent at all. They go hand in hand IMO.
Some of those devices being updated with custom ROMs also have a lot of broken features like broken camera, broken video, broken bluetooth, etc...
If the manufacturer released their updated drivers, those features wouldn't be broken.

So is the "ability to root" not about extreme customisation options, for you? You said previously that you value the ability to root, but I did not presume that you only rooted a device if you were not happy with its updates and/or something was "broken".

You state that you've been using the same OS on your Galaxy Nexus since you got it in 2011.
JellyBean was a Summer 2012 Android update.
So which one is it? If you're still "...using the same iteration of Android OS" since you got your Galaxy Nexus in late 2011 then you should still be on ICS.
If you updated to JellyBean, then you clearly do care about OS updates otherwise you'll still remain on ICS and wouldn't have updated it.

I stated in my previous post that I had done the update, so this part below:
Your story keeps changing by the moment so I'm not quite sure whether you're still on ICS, JellyBean, or never updated, or got one update. I'll leave that one up to you.

Is not 'changing by the moment' - it was one update in 1.5 years, and while it was a nice update it was certainly not a game changer for me. That doesn't mean that I do not appreciate updates; it means that I don't buy devices with the intent to update indefinitely in the future. I want a device that works now, and if future updates add usability to the device then great, but not all updates do.
Because we only have past experiences to go by. Everything else is just assumptions and speculations. If they fix this issue, I will gladly adjust my views of them in the future...But until then, I only have the past to go by.
If one claims that because I want a phone that gets regular updates, not one update 8 months later that will probably be it's only update, then I suppose I'm a Sony/LG/Motorola hater then. :rolleyes:
The funny thing about all of this is that if Sony/LG/Motorola makes a Nexus, I would by it because Google would fix those manufacturer's "updates" problem. So much for me being an anti-Sony fanboy then.

I never called you an anti-Sony type; I was trying to get to the bottom of your huge deal with "updates". I think we're on other ends of the spectrum here.

But the fundamental issue I have is that you seem to be ignoring that Sony are issuing this Z series, likely to extend their Sony Vaio Z series brand, to other product areas in an attempt to produce top of the line devices with that 'bit extra'. My Z series laptop has a carbon fibre casing, rendering it very light for the amount of power that it brings. The laptop also has an optional battery 'sheet' - I love the design, that adds a significant amount of battery life to the laptop for a bit more thickness on the device.

I like the way Sony is moving. Instead of paying 800 euros for an iPhone 5, I would rather pay 800 for an extreme Z design, and this Z that adds a sort of waterproof element to a handheld device is a great bonus, for me. Perhaps not for you; maybe you've never had a rising tide wash up onto your clothes while you're out drinking/swimming/fishing and brick your phone.

I'm for devices that push the design envelope, however slightly, and in this sense I am a 'fan' of Sony's Z designs. This does not extend across their entire spectrum of products, and this thread is about the Z series. I highly doubt, on your point regarding updates, that the Z will be rarely updated - its counter-intuitive to a premium device's longevity.

As for the LTE issues, this seems rather implausible. I have read of February 18 2013 launch dates, and this should hopefully confirm my hunch which is that the Z will be the flagship with LTE band compatibility across broad spectra of the globe.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
So is the "ability to root" not about extreme customisation options, for you? You said previously that you value the ability to root, but I did not presume that you only rooted a device if you were not happy with its updates and/or something was "broken".

I never called you an anti-Sony type; I was trying to get to the bottom of your huge deal with "updates". I think we're on other ends of the spectrum here.

But the fundamental issue I have is that you seem to be ignoring that Sony are issuing this Z series, likely to extend their Sony Vaio Z series brand, to other product areas in an attempt to produce top of the line devices with that 'bit extra'. My Z series laptop has a carbon fibre casing, rendering it very light for the amount of power that it brings. The laptop also has an optional battery 'sheet' - I love the design, that adds a significant amount of battery life to the laptop for a bit more thickness on the device.

I like the way Sony is moving. Instead of paying 800 euros for an iPhone 5, I would rather pay 800 for an extreme Z design, and this Z that adds a sort of waterproof element to a handheld device is a great bonus, for me. Perhaps not for you; maybe you've never had a rising tide wash up onto your clothes while you're out drinking/swimming/fishing and brick your phone.

I'm for devices that push the design envelope, however slightly, and in this sense I am a 'fan' of Sony's Z designs. This does not extend across their entire spectrum of products, and this thread is about the Z series. I highly doubt, on your point regarding updates, that the Z will be rarely updated - its counter-intuitive to a premium device's longevity.
It's about both. I do care about ROMs and also getting updates. Both are not mutually exclusive. For example, the Nexus gets the latest updates, and I'm quite sure it has a much more custom ROMs scene than most(if not ALL) phones out there. Again, both "the ability to root" and "getting the latest updates/features" are not mutually exclusive. You don't have to sacrifice one to get the other.

If Sony adds that feature while not neglecting the updates and custom Roms part, I will gladly get their phone. Not a problem. I don't mind Sony adding water proofing, just not at the expense of the others.

I am too. Regarding updates, I hope for my sake(and theirs as well) that Sony will prove me wrong.

As for the LTE issues, this seems rather implausible. I have read of February 18 2013 launch dates, and this should hopefully confirm my hunch which is that the Z will be the flagship with LTE band compatibility across broad spectra of the globe.

Trust me on this...LTE has more fragmentation than 3G frequencies ever had with AWS and the other frequencies.
There's TD, FD or whatever LTE technology along to go with the different bands and blocks on the same frequency number.
Now in Europe, you may not notice a thing since everything may be unified there thanks to the EU and your regulations making it such, but once you leave Europe, it will be a mess.

For example here in USA, AT&T and Verizon have the same 700MHz LTE frequency overlap.
However you can't just take any LTE phone and assume it would work on whatever network because it has the same spectrum frequency.
Trust me, this LTE fragmentation mess is just beginning and makes the current 3G fragmentation a child's play thing.

Read this:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57422611-94/will-at-t-and-verizon-4g-lte-ever-be-compatible/

And also look at this chart:
2012-03-05-lte-forecasts-infographic.png

Anyone who automatically thinks importing European LTE phones would be compatible with AT&T's LTE network because they share the same LTE frequency block could be in for a rude awakening. But I hope this LTE fragmentation deal is only a nightmare that never pans out.

We haven't had a "global" LTE phone yet. If there is one, I certainly haven't seen it.
There are lots of "global" 3G phones(the latest Nexus phones for example are all pentaband, not just tri-band or quad-band and they even support T-Mobile's AWS fragmentation frequency that almost no one else in the world uses).

I will let the people on XDA and elsewhere test the waters first on this "global" LTE mess before spending $800 on importing an LTE phone from Europe and automatically assuming that it would work here because it has the same frequency.

Last edited:

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
It's about both. I do care about ROMs and also getting updates. Both are not mutually exclusive. For example, the Nexus gets the latest updates, and I'm quite sure it has a much more custom ROMs scene than most(if not ALL) phones out there. Again, both "the ability to root" and "getting the latest updates/features" are not mutually exclusive. You don't have to sacrifice one to get the other.

If Sony adds that feature while not neglecting the updates and custom Roms part, I will gladly get their phone. Not a problem. I don't mind Sony adding water proofing, just not at the expense of the others.

I am too. Regarding updates, I hope for my sake(and theirs as well) that Sony will prove me wrong.

Trust me on this...LTE has more fragmentation than 3G frequencies ever had with AWS and the other frequencies.
There's TD, FD or whatever LTE technology along to go with the different bands and blocks on the same frequency number.
Now in Europe, you may not notice a thing since everything may be unified there thanks to the EU and your regulations making it such, but once you leave Europe, it will be a mess.

For example here in USA, AT&T and Verizon have the same 700MHz LTE frequency overlap.
However you can't just take any LTE phone and assume it would work on whatever network because it has the same spectrum frequency.
Trust me, this LTE fragmentation mess is just beginning and makes the current 3G fragmentation a child's play thing.

Read this:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57422611-94/will-at-t-and-verizon-4g-lte-ever-be-compatible/

And also look at this chart:
2012-03-05-lte-forecasts-infographic.png

Anyone who automatically thinks importing European LTE phones would be compatible with AT&T's LTE network because they share the same LTE frequency block could be in for a rude awakening. But I hope this LTE fragmentation deal is only a nightmare that never pans out.

We haven't had a "global" LTE phone yet. If there is one, I certainly haven't seen it.
There are lots of "global" 3G phones(the latest Nexus phones for example are all pentaband, not just tri-band or quad-band and they even support T-Mobile's AWS fragmentation frequency that almost no one else in the world uses).

I will let the people on XDA and elsewhere test the waters first on this "global" LTE mess before spending $800 on importing an LTE phone from Europe and automatically assuming that it would work here because it has the same frequency.

Rooting. Roms. Updates. Jesus, this isn't a Nexus phone. LG is making the latest one. If you want to hack a phone to death or want the latest updates fresh from Google just get a Nexus and stop complaining about OEMs undermining their own hard work by letting you install crap from amateurs. This SONY phone is damn good and SONY is an avid supporter of AOSP. Happy? No? Then get a Nexus and let people here talk about this phone.

Fact is, most people don't give a damn about the crap you're talking about and you dissuading your 90 year old Aunt Edna from getting this phone or one from Motorola because it does not support ROMs or has the latest updates is very very sad.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Rooting. Roms. Updates. Jesus, this isn't a Nexus phone. LG is making the latest one. If you want to hack a phone to death or want the latest updates fresh from Google just get a Nexus and stop complaining about OEMs undermining their own hard work by letting you install crap from amateurs. This SONY phone is damn good and SONY is an avid supporter of AOSP. Happy? No? Then get a Nexus and let people here talk about this phone.

Fact is, most people don't give a damn about the crap you're talking about and you dissuading your 90 year old Aunt Edna from getting this phone or one from Motorola because it does not support ROMs or has the latest updates is very very sad.
So the only phones that rooting, roming, and updates discussions should take place is in Nexus ones?

Crap from amateurs? lol...

Yes, I am happy that Sony is an avid supporter of AOSP(unlike Samsung). It doesn't mean however that there is no room for criticism of Sony or their devices because of that.

Why would I give a crap about what "most" people think? I never have, and I never will. I don't follow herding mentality.

My 90 year old Aunt Edna doesn't browse this forum so she is not the targeted audience.
Aunt Edna(or anyone else that is 90 years old and browsing this thread), raise your hand.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
So the only phones that rooting, roming, and updates discussions should take place is in Nexus ones?

Crap from amateurs? lol...

Yes, I am happy that Sony is an avid supporter of AOSP(unlike Samsung). It doesn't mean however that there is no room for criticism of Sony or their devices because of that.

Why would I give a crap about what "most" people think? I never have, and I never will. I don't follow herding mentality.

My 90 year old Aunt Edna doesn't browse this forum so she is not the targeted audience.
Aunt Edna(or anyone else that is 90 years old and browsing this thread), raise your hand.

I'm tired of your opinion over a singular issue dominating this thread. We get it. You don't like SONY phones because they don't provide updates at a timing of your liking or allow rooting or whatever. Can you stop blogging about it so we can move on to something else? Better yet, can you tell us the address of your blog so we can discuss this issue more indepth?

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
I'm tired of your opinion over a singular issue dominating this thread. We get it. You don't like SONY phones because they don't provide updates at a timing of your liking or allow rooting or whatever. Can you stop blogging about it so we can move on to something else? Better yet, can you tell us the address of your blog so we can discuss this issue more indepth?
If you're tired of it, then feel free not to click the thread or read my post.
An issue is still an issue. That doesn't change the facts.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
If you're tired of it, then feel free not to click the thread or read my post.
An issue is still an issue. That doesn't change the facts.

I can't do that because of the wild assertions you made in your original post and people came to it like honey to bee. Here is what you posted:

Because it's a Sony phone.....
1.) In Japan, it will likely be released 6+ months later than the rest of the competition...like all other Sony phones.
2.) It likely won't come to USA...If it did, it won't be in the current form. US carriers would likely strip it naked because unlike Samsung and Apple, Sony doesn't have any clout.
3.) Sony will take it's sweet time with Android OS updates. They're just as bad as LG in updating Android software. Almost everyone already has JellyBean on their flagship devices....Samsung since September, with HTC and Motorola about a month or two after that. What is Sony's schedule for JellyBean on their numerous phones? February-March 2013, or in the case of some of their other handsets...Never.

1) The phone will be released in February on NTTDOCOMO(link)
2) SONY's latest phones have come to AT&T. And, if you even bothered to check, AT&T leaves SONY's phones alone.
3)This nauseating opinion is what led me to post today and has been answered accordingly. Can we move on, if you don't mind?

Last edited:

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
I can't do that because of the wild assertions you made in your original post and people came to it like honey to bee. Here is what you posted:

1) The phone will be released in February on NTTDOCOMO(link)
2) SONY's latest phones have come to AT&T. And, if you even bothered to check, AT&T leaves SONY's phones alone.
3)This nauseating opinion is what led me to post today and has been answered accordingly. Can we move on, if you don't mind?
1.) If so, then that's good then.

2.) Can you prove to me that it's the Xperia Z(the premium, waterproof version that supposedly has all the bells and whistles) and not the ZL(cheaper plastic alternative...not water resistant...has it's front facing camera at the bottom bezel of the phone wtf?) is the one coming to the US on AT&T? This thread is about the Xperia Z, not the Xperia ZL. If you want to argue that the Xperia ZL is coming to AT&T, then feel free make another thread about the Xperia ZL. If you want to argue that the Xperia Z is coming to USA, then feel free to prove it by providing supporting documentation(including supported LTE bands and the whole 9 yards).

3.) So, it's #3 that you have a problem with huh? You claim that it's nauseating and yet you keep mentioning it. You're the one bringing issues that was already discussed pages ago out of the blue. We were already moving on by discussing possible LTE fragmentation issues the past few posts on the Xperia Z before you came. If it's nauseating to you then go to the pharmacy and buy a bottle of Emetrol or ask your doctor for Zofran tablets or if you suffer from very serious nauseating issues, Promethazine suppositories should work fine for you.

Again, if you don't want to offer any counterpoints to #3(or any other points) besides "It's nauseating, can we move on?", then you are free to move on at anytime of your choosing.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
1.) If so, then that's good then.

2.) Can you prove to me that it's the Xperia Z(the premium, waterproof version that supposedly has all the bells and whistles) and not the ZL(cheaper plastic alternative...not water resistant...has it's front facing camera at the bottom bezel of the phone wtf?) is the one coming to the US on AT&T? This thread is about the Xperia Z, not the Xperia ZL. If you want to argue that the Xperia ZL is coming to AT&T, then feel free make another thread about the Xperia ZL. If you want to argue that the Xperia Z is coming to USA, then feel free to prove it by providing supporting documentation(including supported LTE bands and the whole 9 yards).

3.) So, it's #3 that you have a problem with huh? You claim that it's nauseating and yet you keep mentioning it. You're the one bringing issues that was already discussed pages ago out of the blue. We were already moving on by discussing possible LTE fragmentation issues the past few posts on the Xperia Z before you came. If it's nauseating to you then go to the pharmacy and buy a bottle of Emetrol or ask your doctor for Zofran tablets or if you suffer from very serious nauseating issues, Promethazine suppositories should work fine for you.

Again, if you don't want to offer any counterpoints to #3(or any other points) besides "It's nauseating, can we move on?", then you are free to move on at anytime of your choosing.

By latest I mean the Xperia TL on AT&T. Neither the Z nor ZL have been announced for America yet.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Also, #3 is your personal pet peeve. It's really annoying considering you were wrong on the first two points you made. Just let it go.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
By latest I mean the Xperia TL on AT&T. Neither the Z nor ZL have been announced for America yet.

Also, #3 is your personal pet peeve. It's really annoying considering you were wrong on the first two points you made. Just let it go.
Okay so I was only wrong on the first point and correct on the other two then since you can't offer any evidence that the Xperia Z is coming to the US or that it supports US LTE bands.

You are free to let it go anytime you wish, but yet you seem to be continuing this and not bringing anything new.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Okay so I was only wrong on the first point and correct on the other two then since you can't offer any evidence that the Xperia Z is coming to the US or that it supports US LTE bands.

You are free to let it go anytime you wish, but yet you seem to be continuing this and not bringing anything new.

Again, this is what you wrote:

2.) It likely won't come to USA...If it did, it won't be in the current form. US carriers would likely strip it naked because unlike Samsung and Apple, Sony doesn't have any clout.

You are not correct because the phone was announced two weeks ago. It has not been announced for America yet. SONY phones are announced to the world then they get a quiet introduction for America, namely AT&T. That has not happened yet. That does not mean it will never happen. I also claimed you were wrong because of precedent. The previous Xperia phones on AT&T have come unmolested. That is why I mentioned them. You are just making things up. Why? I don't know but it's annoying.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Again, this is what you wrote:
"It likely won't come to USA...If it did, it won't be in the current form. US carriers would likely strip it naked because unlike Samsung and Apple, Sony doesn't have any clout."

You are not correct because the phone was announced two weeks ago. It has not been announced for America yet. SONY phones are announced to the world then they get a quiet introduction for America, namely AT&T. That has not happened yet. That does not mean it will never happen. I also claimed you were wrong because of precedent. The previous Xperia phones on AT&T have come unmolested. That is why I mentioned them. You are just making things up. Why? I don't know but it's annoying.
I don't see anything wrong in my statement. You know what the word "likely" means right? you know what the word "if" means right?

Again, until it has been announced as such that the Xperia Z will be coming to the US, I'm correct.
Again, feel free to show supporting documentation in the way of LTE bands for the current Xperia Z or a different SKU of the Xperia Z that supports US LTE bands.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I don't see anything wrong in my statement. You know what the word "likely" means right? you know what the word "if" means right?

Again, until it has been announced as such that the Xperia Z will be coming to the US, I'm correct.
Again, feel free to show supporting documentation in the way of LTE bands for the current Xperia Z or a different SKU of the Xperia Z that supports US LTE bands.

You're not right. But I'm enabling you here so I'll stop.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
As far as I know North America will be getting the ZL not the Z but you never can be sure with sony. I think half of the time they haven't got a clue what they are doing never mind anyone else finding out.

blairharrington

Jan 1, 2009
I don't want to add to the argument but unless someone can explain otherwise, I believe it's quite clear that the States will not be offering the Xperia Z officially from any of their major carriers. The reason being that the Z will not operate on any American LTE bands. The only carrier I can envision offering the Z is T-Mobile and that's a huge maybe at this point.

Instead the ZL will most certainly be available via AT&T. I understand we don't have official confirmation of these things just yet but common sense and connecting the dots will lead you to these two conclusions.

Personally I don't think the ZL is really that much of a step down from the Z. Yes, the water resistance of the Z is a huge selling point but the ZL has a superior backing (IMO). Plus the Z has really annoying flaps over all their openings.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
I don't want to add to the argument but unless someone can explain otherwise, I believe it's quite clear that the States will not be offering the Xperia Z officially from any of their major carriers. The reason being that the Z will not operate on any American LTE bands. The only carrier I can envision offering the Z is T-Mobile and that's a huge maybe at this point.

Instead the ZL will most certainly be available via AT&T. I understand we don't have official confirmation of these things just yet but common sense and connecting the dots will lead you to these two conclusions.

Personally I don't think the ZL is really that much of a step down from the Z. Yes, the water resistance of the Z is a huge selling point but the ZL has a superior backing (IMO). Plus the Z has really annoying flaps over all their openings.
Apparently, Dari is the only person here that can't figure this out even though I(along with numerous other people here) have been saying that in almost every post here.
Where else in the world do they use 700MHz frequency band for LTE?
Everywhere else uses 1800, 2100, and 2600MHz. The US is pretty much the only 1st world country that uses that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-UTRA#Frequency_bands_and_channel_bandwidths

Maybe "common" sense is not so common after all? :hmm:

As for the ZL vs Z, there isn't much of any step down besides waterproof, glass vs. plastic, and front facing camera location. Everything else is the same assuming you ignore the LTE stuff.
I'm not into the "glass" body stuff just yet and would still prefer plastics as long as it's proven to be durable and can survive impacts.
The water proof idea is excellent, but what will be the cost difference between the Z and ZL? Certainly not worth a $100+ price difference for that feature alone IMO. If it's $50, yeah I'd take it.

A possible issue with the ZL is the front facing camera.
sc105.jpg

That means you have to hold the phone on the same level as your head or at an absurd angle to do any video chat. While doing video chat, you won't be able to look at the screen unless you hold it at some absurd angle. They should have just kept it at the top bezel like it is for the Z and almost every other phone out there.

blairharrington

Jan 1, 2009
Apparently, Dari is the only person here that can't figure this out even though I(along with numerous other people here) have been saying that in almost every post here.
Everywhere else uses 1800, 2100, and 2600MHz. The US is pretty much the only 1st world country that uses that.

As for the ZL vs Z, there isn't much of any step down besides waterproof, glass vs. plastic, and front facing camera location. Everything else is the same assuming you ignore the LTE stuff.
I'm not into the "glass" body stuff just yet and would still prefer plastics as long as it's proven to be durable and can survive impacts.
The water proof idea is excellent, but what will be the cost difference between the Z and ZL? Certainly not worth a $100+ price difference for that feature alone IMO. If it's $50, yeah I'd take it.

sc105.jpg

That means you have to hold the phone on the same level as your head or at an absurd angle to do any video chat. While doing video chat, you won't be able to look at the screen unless you hold it at some absurd angle. They should have just kept it at the top bezel like it is for the Z and almost every other phone out there.

Personally I hate glass backed phones. Slippery and prone to shattering. I'll take plastic over glass any day. Also all the CES reports seemed to point out that the plastic of the ZL was very grippy.

I'm not a huge video chat smartphone guy but if I were doing so I'm sure there is a work around regarding the placement of the front facing camera.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

sc105.jpg

Xperia Z C6606

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
This is pretty cool if it makes into the retail version of the phone. The Xperia Z and ZL may include color calibration software for the screen. Very cool Sony.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/01/1...zl-to-come-with-display-calibration-software/

That is very cool indeed. My koi wallpaper has it and it's the only calibration app I've tried that doesn't affect the performance. (to my perception) Unfortunately it doesn't work system-wide. Only on home screen where koi are swimming around. :(

Google might as well have this function built-in in the developer options.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
This phone looks so much like Droid DNA and in a few ways better - SD card support, waterproof, etc. I would be tempted if I were in a market right now.

So we have,

Sony: Xperia Z (1080p)
HTC: Droid DNA (1080p)
LG: Optimus G (768p/WGXA)

All using quad krait and gorilla glass 2, right?