tbqhwy.com
2lb loaf of Cin/Raison and a 2lb loaf of Honey Wheat

UMMMUMMMMM

nothing says lovin like something from the oven WOOO WOOO

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
I used to have an apartment directly above a take-out/delivery only Pizza Hut, and man the smell when they started baking the dough every day drove me nuts.

Tonight I had my windows open and could smell a neighboring house burning something. I don't think it was the fireplace in this heat, but it smelled nice.

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Nah.

How about the smell of a kfc/boston market full meal when you're starving like a mofo. That's better.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
I used to bake for an artisanal bakery. It's a wonderful art making bread. I want to build one of these in the next couple of years...

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: djheater
I used to bake for an artisanal bakery. It's a wonderful art making bread. I want to build one of these in the next couple of years...

Is that why your name is djheater?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
The smell of freshly baked bread is indeed awesome, but more awesome than the smell of a running power supply? I dunno.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001

Cool. Do you have any pointers to baking bread at home?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: biggestmuff

1) buy a bread machine
2) get bread machine cookbook
3) ...
4) proft

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis

1) buy a bread machine
3) ...
4) proft

I don't need no stinkin' machine to make bread.

I have one, but it sucks. Every loaf I've made in it comes out way too dense. I've had better luck using the oven and a 9 inch bread pan.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001

1) buy a bread machine
3) ...
4) proft

I have one, but it sucks. Every loaf I've made in it comes out way too dense. I've had better luck using the oven and a 9 inch bread pan.

Get a better machine? Your rising time is too short, you're adding to much salt, or your yeast is dead.

I have no trouble using my mahcine to bake sandwich bread, it's damn convenient.

If I'm feeling fancy I use the bread machine to mix the dough, and raise it once, then I take it out, punch it down, shape it, let it rise again and bake it in the oven.

The trick in the oven is to use a spray bottle of water. Spray it well before you put the bread it and at least once during baking. High humidity is required to form a light crispy crust.

If I ever do build that oven I'll probably start culturing my own sourdoughs... mmmmm.....

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
My high school football stadium was across the street from a Sunbeam bread factory. It made the stadium smell really good during football games. But sometimes the smell was so strong that it was sickeningly sweet.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
As a kid I remember a family that ran a Mexican restaurant in Tempe, Arizona and Grandma would make that nights tortilla outside on a wood-burning granite slab.
Children would gather from everywhere when she baked them, and she would butter one up for each starving waif that looked up with begging eyes.
Delicious.

Later while in Jr. High a large family from Oklahoma moved into the neighborhood in Brawley, California and she would bake up a week ahead each Wednesday.
Amazing how the smell of fresh baking bread attracts rug-rats and ankle-biters of every age - right up through their teens into adulthood.

Now near where I am living, we are working across the street from a Folger's Coffee roasting plant - it sometimes gets so intense that it smells like a burning Bakelite plastic.
When it gets foggy the odor clings close to the ground and permeates the area for miles, depending on the breeze direction.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

1) buy a bread machine
3) ...
4) proft

Get a better machine? Your rising time is too short, you're adding to much salt, or your yeast is dead.

I have no trouble using my mahcine to bake sandwich bread, it's damn convenient.

If I'm feeling fancy I use the bread machine to mix the dough, and raise it once, then I take it out, punch it down, shape it, let it rise again and bake it in the oven.

The trick in the oven is to use a spray bottle of water. Spray it well before you put the bread it and at least once during baking. High humidity is required to form a light crispy crust.

If I ever do build that oven I'll probably start culturing my own sourdoughs... mmmmm.....

ive never had an issue with mine, it cooks a lil dark, but i just leave everything on the light setting, ive made everything from normal white bread, to wheat, to fruit breads, pizza dough.... only times something bad happens is when i missread the ingrediants and fuck something up

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
As a kid I remember a family that ran a Mexican restaurant in Tempe, Arizona and Grandma would make that nights tortilla outside on a wood-burning granite slab.
Children would gather from everywhere when she baked them, and she would butter one up for each starving waif that looked up with begging eyes.
Delicious.

Later while in Jr. High a large family from Oklahoma moved into the neighborhood in Brawley, California and she would bake up a week ahead each Wednesday.
Amazing how the smell of fresh baking bread attracts rug-rats and ankle-biters of every age - right up through their teens into adulthood.

Now near where I am living, we are working across the street from a Folger's Coffee roasting plant - it sometimes gets so intense that it smells like a burning Bakelite plastic.
When it gets foggy the odor clings close to the ground and permeates the area for miles, depending on the breeze direction.

that is much better than working downwind of the Purina Dog Food plant in Denver. Man that was a nasty nasty smell.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Yeah, my wife, The Master Baker, brought home some French bread this morning. She had to work out a problem they were having so I guess they spent half the night experimenting. Poor me, I got the left overs :)