The Sixteenth Annual Awards for the Year?s Worst Reporting..a must read!

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Linky

this one is priceless:

?If she had lived, Mary Jo Kopechne would be 62 years old. Through his tireless work as a legislator, Edward Kennedy would have brought comfort to her in her old age.?
? Charles Pierce in a January 5 Boston Globe Magazine article. Kopechne drowned while trapped in Kennedy?s submerged car off Chappaquiddick Island in July 1969, an accident Kennedy did not report for several hours.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
Linky

this one is priceless:

?If she had lived, Mary Jo Kopechne would be 62 years old. Through his tireless work as a legislator, Edward Kennedy would have brought comfort to her in her old age.?
? Charles Pierce in a January 5 Boston Globe Magazine article. Kopechne drowned while trapped in Kennedy?s submerged car off Chappaquiddick Island in July 1969, an accident Kennedy did not report for several hours.
LOL:)

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
I take what Heart says with some reservations, but the link he cites is great. My favorite report is the third one, which reads:

"Our greatest accomplishment as a [news] profession is the development since World War II of a news reporting craft that is truly non-partisan, and non-ideological, and that strives to be independent of undue commercial or governmental influence....
?It is that legacy we must protect with our diligent stewardship. To do so means we must be aware of the energetic effort that is now underway to convince our readers that we are ideologues. [Emphasis added.] It is an exercise of, in disinformation, of alarming proportions, this attempt to convince the audience of the world?s most ideology-free newspapers that they?re being subjected to agenda-driven news reflecting a liberal bias. I don?t believe our viewers and readers will be, in the long-run, misled by those who advocate biased journalism.?

I must say that the efforts to "to convince our readers that we are ideologues" has worked on me. Personally, I think it's foolish to believe in news reporting that doesn't come from some particular point of view.

I've got to wonder who is trying to persuade the American public that the news services are "idealogues?" I mean, both the left and the right think the news is owned by the other side. The fact is, they are idealogues and it is disengenuous to pass it off as the nuetral reporting of facts.

MagicianBdotCom

Nov 30, 2002
Funny how they all came from such distinguished people. I wonder if any of those judges were considered for that award also :p

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
"correspondent Nina Totenberg: ?Now they?ve got this guy [General Jerry Boykin], who?s head of the intelligence section in the Defense Department, who?s being quoted as telling various groups, while he?s in uniform, that this [war] is a Christian crusade against Muslims....I mean, this is terrible, this is seriously bad stuff....I hope he?s not long for this world.?
Host Gordon Peterson: ?You putting a hit out on this guy or what?...What is this, The Sopranos??
Totenberg: ?No, no, no....In his job, in his job, in his job, please, please, in his job.?"[b/]

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
take what Heart says with some reservations

only some reservations? your letting all this "Peace on Earth, Good Well Towards Men" stuff get to you!

I still can't imagine what was going through the head of Charles Pierce when he wrote

and what were the magazine editors doing when they reviewed the piece? smoking crack?

Reminds me of that old joke about Teddy Kennedy joining the law firm of Whiner, Diner, Dicker and Dunker.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
The mission of the Media Research Center is to bring balance and responsibility to the news media. Leaders of America's conservative movement have long believed that within the national news media a strident liberal bias existed that influenced the public's understanding of critical issues. On October 1, 1987, a group of young determined conservatives set out to not only prove - through sound scientific research - that liberal bias in the media does exist and undermines traditional American values, but also to neutralize its impact on the American political scene. What they launched that fall is the now acclaimed --- Media Research Center (MRC).

ba ba baaaaa! Tow the party line guys. Maybe those quotes would mean something if MRC weren't so clearly right-wing biased.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Whitling
Vadatajs, thanks for the information on the MRC. I didn't know that.

At first, I too was thinking that the site would be pretty fair and balanced. Then as I kept reading the quotes, none of them were disparaging towards conservatives. Obviously, conservatives say their share of dumb things. I went to the homepage and saw the subtitle:

The Leader in Documenting, Exposing and Neutralizing Liberal Media Bias

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Announcing the P.U.-litzer Prizes for 2003
by Norman Solomon

The P.U.-litzer Prizes were established more than a decade ago to give recognition to the stinkiest media performances of the year.

As usual, I have conferred with Jeff Cohen, founder of the media watch group FAIR, to sift through the large volume of entries. In view of the many deserving competitors, we regret that only a few can win a P.U.-litzer.

And now, the twelfth annual P.U.-litzer Prizes, for the foulest media performances of 2003:

MEDIA MOGUL OF THE YEAR -- Lowry Mays, CEO of Clear Channel

While some broadcasters care about their programming, the CEO of America's biggest radio company (with more than 1,200 stations) admits he cares only about the ads. The Clear Channel boss told Fortune magazine in March: "If anyone said we were in the radio business, it wouldn't be someone from our company. We're not in the business of providing news and information. We're not in the business of providing well-researched music. We're simply in the business of selling our customers products."

LIBERATING IRAQ PRIZE -- Tom Brokaw

Interviewing a military analyst as U.S. jet bombers headed to Baghdad on the first day of the Iraq war, NBC anchor Brokaw declared: "Admiral McGinn, one of the things that we don't want to do is to destroy the infrastructure of Iraq, because in a few days we're going to own that country."

"THE MORE YOU WATCH, THE LESS YOU KNOW" PRIZE -- Fox News Channel

According to a University of Maryland study, most Americans who get their news from commercial TV harbored at least one of three "misperceptions" about the Iraq war: that weapons of mass destruction had been discovered in Iraq, that evidence closely linking Iraq to Al Qaeda had been found, or that world opinion approved of the U.S. invasion. Fox News viewers were the most confused about key facts, with 80 percent embracing at least one of those misperceptions. The study found a correlation between being misinformed and being supportive of the war.

"CLEAR IT WITH THE PENTAGON" AWARD -- CNN

A month after the invasion of Iraq began, CNN executive Eason Jordan admitted on his network's "Reliable Sources" show (April 20) that CNN had allowed U.S. military officials to help screen its on-air analysts: "I went to the Pentagon myself several times before the war started and met with important people there and said, for instance -- 'At CNN, here are the generals we're thinking of retaining to advise us on the air and off about the war' -- and we got a big thumbs-up on all of them. That was important."

"CONSERVATIVE TIMES FOR THE 'LIBERAL' MEDIA" AWARD -- ABC News

Over the years, ABC correspondent John Stossel became known for one-sided, often-inaccurate reporting on behalf of his pro-corporate, "greed is good" ideology. He boasted that his on-air job was to "explain the beauties of the free market," received lecture fees from corporate pressure groups, and even spoke on Capitol Hill against consumer-protection regulation. In May of this year, when Stossel was promoted to co-anchor of ABC's "20/20," a network insider told TV Guide: "These are conservative times. ... The network wants somebody to match the times."

"CODDLING DONALD" PRIZE -- CBS's Lesley Stahl, ABC's Peter Jennings and Others

On the day news broke about Saddam Hussein's capture, Stahl and Jennings each interviewed Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. In step with their mainstream media colleagues, both failed to ask about Rumsfeld's cordial 1983 meeting with Hussein in Baghdad on behalf of the Reagan administration that opened up strong diplomatic and military ties between the U.S. government and the dictator that lasted through seven years of his worst brutality.

MILITARY GROUPIE PRIZE -- Katie Couric of NBC's "Today" Show

"Well, Commander Thompson," said Couric on April 3, in the midst of the invasion carnage, "thanks for talking with us at this very early hour out there. And I just want you to know, I think Navy SEALs rock."

NOBLESSE OBLIGE OCCUPATION AWARD -- Thomas Friedman, New York Times

In a Nov. 30 piece, Times columnist Friedman gushed that "this war (in Iraq) is the most important liberal, revolutionary U.S. democracy-building project since the Marshall Plan." He lauded the war as "one of the noblest things this country has ever attempted abroad." Friedman did not mention the estimated 112 billion barrels of oil in Iraq ... or the continuous deceptions that led to the "noble" enterprise.

link

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Ah yes, a site with a "What Liberal Media Bias" award. I knew this was going to be completely non-partisan.

DoubleL

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2001
Kopechne drowned while trapped in Kennedy?s submerged car off Chappaquiddick -
No if you remember the old news reels she didn't have water in her lungs, She was dead before she went in the water, Also no one talks about the other death, She had a baby in her if I remember right,

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Maybe those quotes would mean something if MRC weren't so clearly right-wing biased

do you realize the doublespeak in your own statement....they're QUOTES for heaven's sake.

dictionary definition of the word "Quote: To repeat or copy the words of (another), usually with acknowledgment of the source."

explain to me how:

has been "taken out of context" or "misquoted" , and explain how as a liberal, this would be a reasonable statement, while a conservative would call it insensitive (at a minimum).

what is really amusing is that so many of you libs visited the site and enjoyed it!
there's hope for you yet!