the simplicity of freshly installed win2k

MrHappyMonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2001
I just finished installed Windows 2000 Pro on my parents machine (can't find the WinXP cd...). It's just so nice to see that blank blue wallpaper and grey start menu. It seems WinXP is just so "pretty". I dunno, I kinda like the sterile look of Windows 2000 Pro.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
xp was too bloated for me, so i went back to a copy of win2k advanced server i had lying around...

-=bmacd=-

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Rallispec
yep.. nothing beats the clean straighforward 2k interface. i love it.

word.

My dad & friends are trying to convince me to switch to XP, b/c it's supposedly "better." lol

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Rallispec
yep.. nothing beats the clean straighforward 2k interface. i love it.

The simple, yet elegent, clean install of OSX.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: MrHappyMonkey
I just finished installed Windows 2000 Pro on my parents machine (can't find the WinXP cd...). It's just so nice to see that blank blue wallpaper and grey start menu. It seems WinXP is just so "pretty". I dunno, I kinda like the sterile look of Windows 2000 Pro.

Ummm...you do realize that the Windows XP interface is just a theme, don't you? If you change the theme to "Classic", VIOLA!!!! It's the Windows 2000 interface!

As for the guy that said WinXP was too bloated, can you specify what you meant? If there's something you didn't like, I'll tell you how to change it. Essentially, if you turn off all the "enhancements" under the performance section, it's Windows 2000 with better hardware support.

sobriquet

Sep 10, 2002
I know what you mean. I "downgraded" from XP a few days ago after the last memory dump I could stand. I don't miss XP at all. I never even used the new interface, it was always set to Windows Classic. I'm consistently using between 50 and 150 MB less RAM, which I think is ridiculous.

MrHappyMonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Originally posted by: MrHappyMonkey I just finished installed Windows 2000 Pro on my parents machine (can't find the WinXP cd...). It's just so nice to see that blank blue wallpaper and grey start menu. It seems WinXP is just so "pretty". I dunno, I kinda like the sterile look of Windows 2000 Pro.
Ummm...you do realize that the Windows XP interface is just a theme, don't you? If you change the theme to "Classic", VIOLA!!!! It's the Windows 2000 interface! As for the guy that said WinXP was too bloated, can you specify what you meant? If there's something you didn't like, I'll tell you how to change it. Essentially, if you turn off all the "enhancements" under the performance section, it's Windows 2000 with better hardware support.

yes, I do relize that it's a theme that can be turned off. I'm just commenting on the freshness of the win2k interface (which XP can have if configured).

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Originally posted by: MrHappyMonkey

Ummm...you do realize that the Windows XP interface is just a theme, don't you? If you change the theme to "Classic", VIOLA!!!! It's the Windows 2000 interface!

As for the guy that said WinXP was too bloated, can you specify what you meant? If there's something you didn't like, I'll tell you how to change it. Essentially, if you turn off all the "enhancements" under the performance section, it's Windows 2000 with better hardware support.

My comments wren't a dis of XP which has some very nice features,I'm just quite comfortable with Win2k

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Although I find XP to be slightly more problematic than 2000, I appreciate some of the new features in XP. The first time I tried XP I hosed my install in a few months. I re-installed 2000 & ran that for quite a while before deciding I missed XP. I re-installed XP and so far so good.

The XP scheme is ass though, Windows classic is the way to go.

Viper GTS

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I just finally got my main system running XP Pro last night. I had it installed in another partition for the longest time but used W98SE day in and out. Decided I'd finish cloning my w98 install to XP and so far so good. I have Win2K wrkst. installed on another system. Comparing the 3, XP's got some nice features, like the switching between users and keeping progs running. Simple thing, but nice.

I've turned off most of the interface bloat, but, I'm still using the silver theme with a custom (Blank) background. I gotta change that damn green start button though, it's getting on my nerves. Performance is pretty good compared to 2k and 98SE. I turned off some of the visuals to get things moving and I disabled Hibernate to save some diskspace. Tweaked the memory speed with power toys, and some other crap like that.

Overall it's Pretty good. Just wishing MS wasn't all gung ho on the DRM / Palladium stuff. Will be holding off upgrading again as long as possible and then going to Linux when that happens. Hopefully by then some apps will be ported that I use in 'doze and mostly, hopefully more games will work. Otherwise I'll just make do without and use it anyway.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
xp has that sterile look... actually it's even more sterile, since it only has the recycle bin on the desktop.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: bmacd
xp was too bloated for me, so i went back to a copy of win2k advanced server i had lying around...

-=bmacd=-

How to tell when someone doesn't buy his software.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred

-=bmacd=-

How/why do you assume that?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred

-=bmacd=-

Not necessarily true, my roommate & I have legitimate copies of Win 95, 98, NT 4, 2K, XP, 2K advanced server, and the usual array of linux distros (obviously they're free).

My roommate is CIO of a non-profit, so he picked up a bunch of MS software for really, really cheap.

All of our OS installations are legitimate (two servers running 2K advanced server, our boxes both running XP pro).

Viper GTS

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Not necessarily true, my roommate & I have legitimate copies of Win 95, 98, NT 4, 2K, XP, 2K advanced server, and the usual array of linux distros (obviously they're free).
Free? I bet you pay $3.00 with a $1.00 tip for no teeth.