The shocking growth of state power to take over cities, remove elected officials

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
You can also buy a house for $150,000 in the south that will cost over 3 times as much in those "Oh so nice" union states. The cost of living is far better in the south.

So what? A house in Brentwood will cost 1.5 to 7 mill. I guarantee anyone would prefer to live there then some hot muggy old southern home out in the marshland. I guess it depends on how well you plan on doing in your life. It's all a choice right? :sneaky: Some of us choose to have wealth.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
You can also buy a house for $150,000 in the south that will cost over 3 times as much in those "Oh so nice" union states. The cost of living is far better in the south.

Live in a burned out wasteland surrounded by idiots and rednecks in a state shackled by religious edicts? No thanks.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
So what? A house in Brentwood will cost 1.5 to 7 mill. I guarantee anyone would prefer to live there then some hot muggy old southern home out in the marshland. I guess it depends on how well you plan on doing in your life. It's all a choice right? :sneaky: Some of us choose to have wealth.

I have no desire to live in LA, but I would take that over the deep south in a heartbeat, despite the negatives attached.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I have no desire to live in LA, but I would take that over the deep south in a heartbeat, despite the negatives attached.
Well you could move to NY near me where taxes cause the monthly payments on a $250k home to be the same as one costing two to three times as much, will never end and of course when you sell you get 1/3 what you'd get elsewhere when you sell.

Ahh retirement, where art thou? I long to leave.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Now you admit you're actually an evil rich person. I hope Obama rapes your ass with 60% tax.

The majority of my money goes into growing my business. I take very little as profit at this point. I can only hope I would one day reach a point that would put me in a 60% tax bracket.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
As we can see from the list. Lots of 12k a year peasants in the southern states.

Lots of unemployed in southern states that also have a low cost of living. No family with a full time worker makes less than 20k/y (32k if both work) in household income, but lots of people simply don't have a full time job: a rational reason to try and attract jobs by denying people's right to collectively bargain.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
The majority of my money goes into growing my business. I take very little as profit at this point. I can only hope I would one day reach a point that would put me in a 60% tax bracket.
Wait - considering that this isn't your money but is actually society's money, you should be demanding that government take it for redistribution, not selfishly building your own personal evil empire.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Well you could move to NY near me where taxes cause the monthly payments on a $250k home to be the same as one costing two to three times as much, will never end and of course when you sell you get 1/3 what you'd get elsewhere when you sell.

Ahh retirement, where art thou? I long to leave.

What's your closest of the big five cities in NY? I remember Rochester being pretty damn dead, and everything between the cities was farmland pretty much. NY taxes are brutal.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Wait - considering that this isn't your money but is actually society's money, you should be demanding that government take it for redistribution, not selfishly building your own personal evil empire.

When have I ever said that. I have said that if you dont like paying taxes and the amount of money that is left over then you should make more money. If you are unable to make more money then you are exactly where you deserve to be.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
None. I like green plants, blue water, a little snow in the winter, something less than 100 degrees in the summer, minimalistic religion, and well-pronounced English. :awe:

Houston meets all your criteria. We've had a dusting of snow for the last 3 or 4 winters. Normal summer temps are below 100 F (not counting the humidity :D )

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I thought you were 16 years old. Gotta silver spoon up your ass? If so, you should hate yourself even more.

You think a lot of things that aren't true. This is just another misrepresentation. I come from a lower middle class upbringing and I'm way older then 16 but not old enough to be one of you baby boomer fucks. I'm better then you though. This much i know.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
When have I ever said that. I have said that if you dont like paying taxes and the amount of money that is left over then you should make more money. If you are unable to make more money then you are exactly where you deserve to be.

It's just werepossum's delusional progressive boogeyman talking again.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
You think a lot of things that aren't true. This is just another misrepresentation. I come from a lower middle class upbringing and I'm way older then 16 but not old enough to be one of you baby boomer fucks. I'm better then you though. This much i know.

I'm sure you're not better than me. I have properties in Indonesia and will retire like a king.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
What's your closest of the big five cities in NY? I remember Rochester being pretty damn dead, and everything between the cities was farmland pretty much. NY taxes are brutal.

West of Rochester. Better than Buffalo for business though. The remains of Kodak are here, but what's left of its US business is in the process of relocating out of state. Costs are out of hand. Xerox is still here but they're a shadow of what they were. Biggest employer is a local supermarket chain. Last time I was in Buffalo more property was available than occupied. Businesses tend to go to Toronto which is more business friendly than we are or just about anywhere unless they are somehow tied to wall street.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
West of Rochester. Better than Buffalo for business though. The remains of Kodak are here, but what's left of its US business is in the process of relocating out of state. Costs are out of hand. Xerox is still here but they're a shadow of what they were. Biggest employer is a local supermarket chain. Last time I was in Buffalo more property was available than occupied. Businesses tend to go to Toronto which is more business friendly than we are or just about anywhere unless they are somehow tied to wall street.

SEe I grew up in Akron/Cleveland area of Ohio. Anything in the middle or south of this country sucks. Thats why the rest is expensive, everyone wants to be here.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
SEe I grew up in Akron/Cleveland area of Ohio. Anything in the middle or south of this country sucks. Thats why the rest is expensive, everyone wants to be here.

The big coastal areas in the east seem to be doing well enough, but the housing market had gone to hell of course. Boston for example is still a decent tech area. Philly is a pit, always prone to corruption, but is now gone beyond redemption. That's why I said its government should be disbanded earlier. Tammany Hall on steroids.

I'm not a mid country person. Not much to interest me. Even the food is generally unremarkable. If one likes it good for them but not my cup of tea.