The shocking growth of state power to take over cities, remove elected officials

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Rachel Maddow isn't anything close to Glenn Beck. She's a good journalist who actually gets facts right. She's the liberal version of Anderson Cooper, not the liberal version of Glenn Beck.

http://politifact.com/ disagrees with you. Even Maddow has a record of twisting the facts and sensationalizing/steering people the way she wants.

*And in this case she is somewhat off base too.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Wow, I wonder what will happen if under Republican guidance, these cities and school systems are turned around? What happens if these cities end up solvent and resume providing services to the residents again? These people might see it as a sign and start voting Republican.

Which is all the OP is really concerned about.

This is a repost btw. http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2149208

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
funny you should link politifact. Rachel on the main page gets two mostly true's

I saw one, and it's 'mostly' because she said Texas gets more federal money than it pays, and they said "in recent years".

Well, that's hardly a reason to say she said something wrong. I think the context of that statement implies a reasonably current time frame. Zeno is wrong.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Wow, I wonder what will happen if under Republican guidance, these cities and school systems are turned around? What happens if these cities end up solvent and resume providing services to the residents again? These people might see it as a sign and start voting Republican.

Which is all the OP is really concerned about.

This is a repost btw. http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2149208

Stop lying about me.

And IMO it's underreported and there are new developments (and the new clip).

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
I saw one, and it's 'mostly' because she said Texas gets more federal money than it pays, and they said "in recent years".

Well, that's hardly a reason to say she said something wrong. I think the context of that statement implies a reasonably current time frame. Zeno is wrong.

spin spin spin!

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
She's a hack. She is the lefty version of Glenn Beck, only the left cant take off their blinders to see it. To them she is the pinnacle of journalistic integrity.

no one is without sin or bias. That being said while Maddow has erred on the side of partisanry she is more like the liberal version of shep smith...

I am getting a little bored with the attacks on the messengers instead of the message. Again with the ideological masturbation....

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011

A sign that the anti-Christ is here and of the impending Apocalyptic maybe.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
2 statements I made. Reading your sig you live in the stroke belt dont you? the south. Medical doctors call it the stroke belt.

NM is not a right to work state. Further the likelihood is that a state sucks and therefore becomes right to work hoping to attract jobs to the state; not that people don't have jobs because the state is right to work.

I do not support right to work states; but it is economically rational.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

She never says anything wrong.

http://politifact.com/search/?q=maddow&page=1

She's a hack. She is the lefty version of Glenn Beck, only the left cant take off their blinders to see it. To them she is the pinnacle of journalistic integrity.

This. She picked right up on the Olberman school of commentary: Spew anything you wish since you will never have an opposing view on your show.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
*If* Rachel Maddow is correct that the Republican plan is to take over and dominate local governments, as is the essence of this thread. And as Maddow says, this is the defining divide between the two parties moving forward...

*Then* it is _also_ equally valid for when Glenn Beck says the progressive plan largely through the Democratic Party and the unions, is to turn the U.S. into a communist nation.

You cannot denounce one of them while simultaneously praising the other. Especially if it's for such things as one's journalistic integrity or use of facts.

Maddow uses Benton Harbor, MI, as her prime example. Who the fuck here knows anything about Benton Harbor, MI? Who knows first-hand the situation the city is in? That's why Maddow shines, because none of her viewers have been exposed to any other viewpoint, any other perspective, on this specific subject. It's also why we can't actually debate the facts, because no one here knows anything other than what blog sites feed us.

I tried quick googling to find what's going on in Benton Harbor, and didn't find anything relevant to anything, except a hoard of left-leaning blogs who are outraged. Why specifically are they outraged? I mean, other than an opportunity to portray "the other side" as evil? I don't know.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
State Rights = Southern Slavery BS Dog-whistle phrase

Everytime you say it you just make yourself look uneducated about history, or just a plain traitor.
Considering that slavery and segregation were also both federal policies, one could just as easily say that anything federal = federal slavery BS Dog-whistle phrase, whatever the hell that means.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Straw man.

Pointing out a single straw man* in a slew of strong arguments only shows that you have no counter point. How about you answer just one rasoned argument against your braindead beauty's POV?

*this was not in fact a straw man because it was intended to be a hyperbolic joke, not a false representation of the other side's point of view that was then destroyed.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
NM is not a right to work state. Further the likelihood is that a state sucks and therefore becomes right to work hoping to attract jobs to the state; not that people don't have jobs because the state is right to work.

I do not support right to work states; but it is economically rational.

As we can see from the list. Lots of 12k a year peasants in the southern states.