The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience

A few excerpts (Note: This is on the Christian website, ChristianityToday.com:

Not surprisingly, the movement's numbers translated into political influence. And the renewal movement was so confident of its beliefs and claims that it persuaded the nation's top political leader to have the government work more closely with religious social service organizations to solve the nation's horrendous social problems.

Then the pollsters started conducting scientific polls of the general population. In spite of the renewal movement's proud claims to miraculous transformation, the polls showed that members of the movement divorced their spouses just as often as their secular neighbors. They beat their wives as often as their neighbors. They were almost as materialistic and even more racist than their pagan friends. The hard-core skeptics smiled in cynical amusement at this blatant hypocrisy. The general population was puzzled and disgusted. Many of the renewal movement's leaders simply stepped up the tempo of their now enormously successful, highly sophisticated promotional programs. Others wept.

This, alas, is roughly the situation of Western or at least American evangelicalism today.

Scandalous behavior is rapidly destroying American Christianity. By their daily activity, most "Christians" regularly commit treason. With their mouths they claim that Jesus is Lord, but with their actions they demonstrate allegiance to money, sex, and self-fulfillment.

The findings in numerous national polls conducted by highly respected pollsters like The Gallup Organization and The Barna Group are simply shocking. "Gallup and Barna," laments evangelical theologian Michael Horton, "hand us survey after survey demonstrating that evangelical Christians are as likely to embrace lifestyles every bit as hedonistic, materialistic, self-centered, and sexually immoral as the world in general." Divorce is more common among "born-again" Christians than in the general American population. Only 6 percent of evangelicals tithe. White evangelicals are the most likely people to object to neighbors of another race. Josh McDowell has pointed out that the sexual promiscuity of evangelical youth is only a little less outrageous than that of their nonevangelical peers.
Alan Wolfe, famous contemporary scholar and director of the Boisi Center for Religion and American Public Life, has just published a penetrating study of American religious life. Wolfe argues, "The truth is there is increasingly little difference between an essentially secular activity like the popular entertainment industry and the bring-'em-in-at-any-cost efforts of evangelical megachurches."
If Christians do not live what they preach, the whole thing is a farce. "American Christianity has largely failed since the middle of the twentieth century," [The Barna Group] concludes, "because Jesus' modern-day disciples do not act like Jesus." This scandalous behavior mocks Christ, undermines evangelism, and destroys Christian credibility.

The article is MUCH longer, and contains specific data that I'll let you read for yourself.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I'm not sure if I totally agree with everything in that article (at least the opinion parts, I have no reason to doubt the facts presented), I think America would be a much better place if people who went around talking about Jesus all the time actually, you know, acted like Him.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford
I'm not sure if I totally agree with everything in that article (at least the opinion parts, I have no reason to doubt the facts presented), I think America would be a much better place if people who went around talking about Jesus all the time actually, you know, acted like Him.

It would be better, no doubt about it.

Afrotech

Aug 3, 2004
"American Christianity" <---- this sums the whole thing up for me. i'm a christian, but not part of the "christian culture" and b/c of all the crap going on in this country, i don't call myself a christian when i speak to non-christians... i just say i believe in the nicene and apostle's creed. i don't want to be grouped with my "brothers and sisters" in THIS country. i have been to other countries, and i have to say that some christians around the world are living the way they should and walking the talk..... but i haven't met too many here :(

edit: i do need to thand God for my father... i have been brought up in a home where my dad walks the talk... and i am trying to do the same for my daughter.

Afrotech

Aug 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Gurck
:music: Your halo slipping down... to choke you now :music:

:music:
the devoted were wearing bracelets
to remind them why they came
some concrete motivation
when the abstract could not do the same
but if all that's left is duty
i'm falling on my sword
at least then i would not serve