The Samsung 226BW 'A' panel EMOTIONAL HELP AND SUPPORT THREAD.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dig1860

Jul 13, 2007
I purchased the Samsung 226BW July 12, 2007. My identification results!!

Tag manufactured date: May 2007

(NO "S", "A", "C" panel shown, just blank after model number)

Back cover taken off tag: M220EW01, AU OPTRONICS (the REAL panel identification!)

Thus, the "A" panel!!

This post is my first. I hope the links show up. They may be links that many people have already seen?!
Below are some links if I posted them correctly.
If I have done any posting incorrectly I hope a moderator will correct me.

Various Links regarding 226BW panels:

http://www.bcchardware.com/ind...c=1641.msg8730#msg8730

http://www.bcchardware.com/ind...view&id=4259&Itemid=40

http://www.behardware.com/arti...eries-the-verdict.html

http://www.behardware.com/arti...yncmaster-226bw-c.html

gorka

Jul 12, 2001
Spyder cleared up color on my 'C'

couldn't be happier with my monitor.

Microsoft has some applet also which lets you fudge arund with the calibration.

I was hoping you could load the Colorvision into that.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
I just bought one of these oin Friday from Bestbuy and played with it all weekend. I got one of the infamous panels that don't show what they are on the outside or the service menu. I am going to open it up tonight and check it out but I'm pretty positive its a "C" panel from everything I've read.

I understand that a lot of people are happy with their "C" panel and all that - but really its a matter of spending (in my case) $320+25=$345 including tax on a monitor that is essentially just a ChiMei panel.

Why not just spend $225 for the ChiMei at newegg - after shipping and rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16824252008

Thats what I'm going to do. Maybe I'll try one more panel from BB but I don't think I'll be playing the panel lottery. Samsung should be ashamed of themselves with this debacle. I have essentially paid $120 more then I needed to for a name. If I had got an "S" panel then I would have been happy. My friend has one and it is clearly a better panel even after calibration. It has nearly 0 backlight bleed versus mine which is quite prominent all around.

Plus, using someone elses color settings like Andrew's above is great, except that the "C" panels are so inconsistent that one persons settings won't look as good for the next person. So basically you nearly have to spend that $80 extra for the Spyder2 and calibrate the monitor yourself. Now your up to $430 for a monitor. Personally I was after the best price performance and this is rediculous.

I haven't decided for sure what I'm going to do but I'm definetely returning the Samsung and I'll probably try one more and hope I get lucky. If I don't, I'll probably just order the Chi Mei from newegg. Its a good monitor, don't get me wrong - but its good for $225 dollars shipped - it isn't nearly as good at the $345 price point. It really amazes me that so many people are like "ahhh, i'll live with it". THis is how Samsung gets away with crap like this, you should stand up and make yourselves heard.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I have had one of the no-name panels for a couple of weeks, and there is no way I would go with anything else right now - it was flawless out of the box. Samsung has nothing to be ashamed over.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: adairusmc
I have had one of the no-name panels for a couple of weeks, and there is no way I would go with anything else right now - it was flawless out of the box. Samsung has nothing to be ashamed over.

So I'm assuming you got a "C" panel? From what I've gathered, and I've done hours of research - nearly 75% of all the panels Samsung has sold since May are CMO (Chi Mei).

So the fact that you could have gotten the EXACT same monitor for $120 cheaper, the only difference being that it says CHI MEI on the front instead of SAMSUNG, means nothing to you? If this is the case, your not a very smart consumer, even if you are happy with it.

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I dont know what type of panel I got.

And yes, it does mean nothing to me. I did not pay $345 for my Samsung to begin with. I buy what I want with my money, not what some person whose opinion is worthless says I should buy.

I would have rather kept my Viewsonic VX2025wm that the Samsung replaced rather than going with a Chi Mei branded monitor. I like the Samsung, and my opinion is the only one that matters to me.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
OK perhaps you didn't fully comprehend what I just told you.

What you got WAS a Chi Mei monitor. Its the same smuckin' thing, whether it says Chi Mei or Samsung on the front. Both manufacturers give a 3 year warranty that cover the same thing, both companys offer about the same caliber of customer service - in fact everything I've read has said verbatim that Chi Mei is every bit as good on that level.

So your fine with a Chi Mei monitor - which is what you have - as long as the people who come over to your house and see it don't know and think you got a Samsung. All about image eh? American brand ignorance at its finest.

madh83

Jan 14, 2007
I actually got the A model too. At first, I too was in hysterics, debating if I should try to RMA it. Then after actually turning on the monitor, it really didn't look bad. In fact it looked pretty good, tweaking the colors and settings made it even better. I've got very little bleeding issues that aren't noticeable unless you look for it. I think the people that originally got their panties in a bunch were kind of insane or didn't bother tweaking their "A" monitors. The "S" models just sound like they come with settings closer to the ideal 65k ones. That and the companies Samsung subcontracted out to are all very experienced LCD manufacturers who are behind a lot of best LCDs. Of course, I might just be making excuses and deep down I am weeping about my A model.... please hold me =*(

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Originally posted by: AMDZen

What you got WAS a Chi Mei monitor. Its the same smuckin' thing, whether it says Chi Mei or Samsung on the front. Both manufacturers give a 3 year warranty that cover the same thing, both companys offer about the same caliber of customer service - in fact everything I've read has said verbatim that Chi Mei is every bit as good on that level.

So your fine with a Chi Mei monitor - which is what you have - as long as the people who come over to your house and see it don't know and think you got a Samsung. All about image eh? American brand ignorance at its finest.

I know exactly what you told me, and how do you know what kind of screen my monitor has? Have you looked at the back or the hidden service menu? No, you have not, so you can STFU about it.

It is not about brand ignorance, it is about the monitor I wanted to buy. I did not want to buy the ugly POS chei mei, or the Acer 22" for that matter - I got the samsung because that is what I wanted. Now you can get over it and keep your fvcking mouth shut.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004

I know exactly what you told me, and how do you know what kind of screen my monitor has? Have you looked at the back or the hidden service menu? No, you have not, so you can STFU about it.

It is not about brand ignorance, it is about the monitor I wanted to buy. I did not want to buy the ugly POS chei mei, or the Acer 22" for that matter - I got the samsung because that is what I wanted. Now you can get over it and keep your fvcking mouth shut.

Well I was merely trying to help you, and others who read this thread out a little bit. In case they don't realize they can get the same thing for that much less. In case you were still in your return period for you monitor - you said 2 weeks and 14 days is for B&M BB but its probably 30 other places. In case you DID get the "C" panel, which as I said most people get. Its not like a 1/3 chance, 3/4s of all panels since May have been CMO panels.

But whatever, other people might find this information helpful. I think your just angry and bitter now that you realize how much money you wasted.

EDIT: I want to add - if anyone else feels cheated by this, there are class action lawsuits being drawn up on this and I'll update this thread with info once I have it. I bought this panel in haste, after seeing my friends "S" panel and didn't do all the research I should have done until afterward when I realized how much different my panel looked. Then it all made sense.

Maybe I can get the Spyder2 and make it look as good as the "S" but why should I spend another $80 just to get what I should have gotten first off? I did use MagicTune which helped A LOT. Better then trying Andrew's color profiles. BeHardware and many other sites have found that these panels are inconsistent, so one persons profiles won't really work for the next. I suggest anyone who is going to live with their panels to try MagicTune per this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/f...howthread.php?t=145127

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
Originally posted by: madh83
I thought this was a pretty interesting article, the reviewer actually had all three models side by side to do a comparison.
http://xbitlabs.com/articles/o...display/22inch_13.html

I agree with what he said to a certain extent - but you have to remember that this guy and others had the Spyder2 or something better to get the color an gamma set up correctly. Not everyone is going to have a color calibration device and not everyone is going to fork over the money for one.

The CMO / Chi Mei is a good monitor. ITs very nice, which is why you should buy it out right and cut out the two faced back stabbing middle man known as Samsung

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000

I agree the Che Mei is a fine monitor. I have bought several for work and they have been great. I would highly recommend them, a little nicer than my Acer.

jerrydxb

Aug 17, 2007
I'd say, don't spend your money on display calibrating software, the latest nVidia drivers comes with a utility to calibrate your LCD monitor..get it today

najames

Oct 11, 2004
You link shows Product Unavailable

Why not write the name of the product so people will know what you are talking about?

madh83

Jan 14, 2007
I think they're mostly talking about accurate color profiles. Like adjusting the color curve for rgb until it is at the proffessional standard for 73k, 65k etc.. The only thing is, why would a graphics artist get a TN panel??

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007

I don't believe those of you saying it is a Chi Mei monitor are correct. Regardless of who is manufacturing the panel it is being built to Samsung's specifications (as well as they can). It was pretty much discovered the A panels were identical to the S panels they merely lacked the precalibration of color the S panels had. The C panels have other problems but they aren't really Chi Mei's own product. Does that mean I would be happy with an A or C panel? No because I want the best however for 99% of people that buy them they will probably never know the difference.

FireChicken

Jun 6, 2006
Well I just picked tp a 226bw at FRYS and there are no identifiers to show which panel I have. There are no A or s on the back label and in the service menu the "panel info" line has been removed.

Also BTW according to this article the c versions are worse than the A versions

Sorry about the reposts:confused:

EDIT: well after taking apart my panel I do indeed have an A version...

FireChicken

Jun 6, 2006
I just back from best buy and looked at their supply of 226bw's. I noticed that there were 2 different kinds that they had in the store. Right on the box label, I saw that some were made in Mexico and some were made in China. The display monitor was actually an S panel and it was made in china. So I bought the one made in china. I had to remove the back panel but it was indeed an S panel. Not sure what panels the ones made in mexico will have and I had already returned the one from frys before I saw where it was manufactured.

From looking at other forums there are definitely some A panels made in china but so far it seems the s ones have been made in Tianjin, China while the A ones made in CHina have been made in Dongguan, China. Not sure if this is true for all the panels though just the ones I have seen pictures of the back label

can anybody with an "A" panel tell us where theirs was made?

Grasping at straws...

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007
Originally posted by: FireChicken
I just back from best buy and looked at their supply of 226bw's. I noticed that there were 2 different kinds that they had in the store. Right on the box label, I saw that some were made in Mexico and some were made in China. The display monitor was actually an S panel and it was made in china. So I bought the one made in china. I had to remove the back panel but it was indeed an S panel. Not sure what panels the ones made in mexico will have and I had already returned the one from frys before I saw where it was manufactured.
I found the same thing when I first purchased a 226BW from Best Buy (swapped it for 206BW shortly after). I picked one of the made in Mexico boxes and ended up with a C panel. I chose the Mexico one because I read on another message board someone had gotten an S panel that said made in Mexico on the back. The made in China boxes they had came with shipping labels on that were from early August so I should have taken one of those. If Samsung does indeed only ship S panels now that probably would have ensured I got one. I don't mind now though because the 206BW looks better to me with the higher pixel count per inch. I have a feeling its the date that matters though not where it comes from. Probably the panels are shipped to Samsungs various factories in batches with disregard to location.

Giskhin

Jul 31, 2007
Originally posted by: FireChicken

From looking at other forums there are definitely some A panels made in china but so far it seems the s ones have been made in Tianjin, China while the A ones made in CHina have been made in Dongguan, China. Not sure if this is true for all the panels though just the ones I have seen pictures of the back label

can anybody with an "A" panel tell us where theirs was made?

Grasping at straws...

I recently purchased a 226BW at Bestbuy. It was made in Mexico. I got it home and accessed the hidden menu per this article http://www.behardware.com/arti...eries-the-verdict.html

It was indeed a C panel. I loaded up the color profile from this website http://www.andrewswihart.net/b...sung-226bw-lcd-c-panel

Using this did indeed improve the monitor's appearance tremendously, however, while watching movies I was pissed because of the backlight bleed at the bottom especially. I also noticed that colors were washed out towards the bottom. Yes, the monitor looked much better than what we have here, but for that kind of money ($319.99 plus tax) it was not worth it. I returned that monitor to bestbuy and have ordered the Chi Mei 22" black.

I figure if I can't get anything other than an S panel, or hell, even an A, I'll just spend less and get the cheaper C panel, which is the Chi Mei at around $100 less.