The sad tale of friendster

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
NY Times Article

Not only is one of the lowest ranked social networking sites now (16th) and now missing the big payoff, but it shows the creator as a Silicon Valley loser.

Mr. Abrams drew his inspiration to create Friendster from a broken heart brought on by a failed relationship and the eternal lures of the mating dance.

?Basically, Jonathan wanted to meet girls,? said Mark J. Pincus, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur who provided Mr. Abrams with some of the seed money to finance his project at the end of 2002. ?He told me himself, he started Friendster as a way to surf through his friends? address books for good-looking girls.?

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Definitely an interesting article. Would certainly be a good academic study. I'm fairly distant from the social networking sites (never used one), so I'm not familiar with how popular Friendster was or still is...but very interesting.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
wasn't friendster among the first ones? The layout for it is a bit cluttered, but it doesn't have that bad rap like myspace does. I remember the friendster craze about 3 or so years ago, heh.

and ya, that is an interesting read.