The rifleman

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
So I binged the rifleman quite a bit over the last couple years, great show and former Celtic. The thing I got hung up on is he’d kill a few ppl an episode and then have a steak with his son and it was all good. Get back to work, no big deal. I know it is tv, but outside of laying out some fatherly advice he seemed to be ok. If I was the rifleman I would have got the. F out of the ranching thing and be like oh no this shit again I gotta get into a gunfight to raise cattle and botch about barbed wire

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Alternatively little house on the prairie had michael Landon as a moral paragon and ideal pop archetype I don’t remember him doing much outside of fisticuffs, yet he was a chain smoking philanderer

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Alternatively little house on the prairie had michael Landon as a moral paragon and ideal pop archetype I don’t remember him doing much outside of fisticuffs, yet he was a chain smoking philanderer

that guy was trouble as little john joe in bonanza though, always needing hoss to bail him out

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Little Joe.

oh right right! been too long since i watched bonanza

or maybe i just listened to too much lil jon
jZGgghi.png

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So I binged the rifleman quite a bit over the last couple years, great show and former Celtic. The thing I got hung up on is he’d kill a few ppl an episode and then have a steak with his son and it was all good. Get back to work, no big deal. I know it is tv, but outside of laying out some fatherly advice he seemed to be ok. If I was the rifleman I would have got the. F out of the ranching thing and be like oh no this shit again I gotta get into a gunfight to raise cattle and botch about barbed wire
I don't know that I ever watched it but true story:

My dad was an M.D. and one day we went out to eat (IIRC) but we made a stop at Chuck Connor's house (we lived in West Los Angeles), somewhere in the L.A. area. Chuck was already the star of the series. We (me, mom and sister) waited in the car while my father went it and saw him.

Bonanza I did watch religiously, also Have Gun Will Travel, Disneyland (Fantasyland were my favorite Disneyland features).

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
So I binged the rifleman quite a bit over the last couple years, great show and former Celtic. The thing I got hung up on is he’d kill a few ppl an episode and then have a steak with his son and it was all good. Get back to work, no big deal.
Seems like in TV & movie westerns killing was not a big deal. I assume it was probably like that in real life back then too... kill or be killed. Move on.

Are we supposed to compare TV characters with their real-life actors?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
that guy was trouble as little john joe in bonanza though, always needing hoss to bail him out
I think it wasn't until after Landon passed away, other LHOTP cast members were talking about him in the 70's. He was really proud of his body and would strut around the set with his shirt off all the time.

As much as he would always be a father figure and set a solid moral and religious example for people on the show, it sounds to me like he's your typical hypocrite that's just wanting to plow through fields of that midwest V....of course, you can totally tell that prairie happened to be filmed in Cali. I wouldn't be surprised if it's one canyon over from where they filmed MASH.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante