The Republicans vaunted ground game.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27141038/

Obama camp relying heavily on ground effort
Campaign borrowing from top GOP strategist Karl Rove's 2004 playbook

In 2004, Democrats watched as any chance of defeating President Bush slipped away in a wave of Republican turnout that exceeded even the goal-beating numbers that their own side had produced.

Four years later, Sen. Barack Obama's campaign intends to avoid a repeat by building an organization modeled in part on what Karl Rove used to engineer Bush's victory: a heavy reliance on local volunteers to pitch to their own neighbors, micro-targeting techniques to identify persuadable independents and Republicans using consumer data, and a focus on exurban and rural areas.

But in scale and ambition, the Obama organization goes beyond even what Rove built. The campaign has used its record-breaking fundraising to open more than 700 offices in more than a dozen battleground states, pay several thousand organizers and manage tens of thousands more volunteers.

In many states, the Democratic candidate is hewing more closely to the Rove organizational model than is rival Sen. John McCain, whose emphasis on ground operations has been less intensive and clinical than that of his Republican predecessor.

"They've invested in a civic infrastructure on a scale that has never happened

It looks like it took awhile, but the Dems are now caught up with the Republicans.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Hey Obama wasn't trained as Marxist community organizer for nothing. Seeing that Obama's ACORN is being investigated in more than 10 states it's obvious thir has been an expansion. Throw in the Stalinist media ignoring the fraud while trying to portray anyone who disagrees with Obama as racists and red knecks and its a real juggernaut, Even Castro is helping NY Times.

http://economictimes.indiatime...rticleshow/3587065.cms

"I need you to go out and talk to your friends and talk to your neighbors,? Barack Obama told a crowd in Elko, Nev. ?I want you to talk to them whether they are independent or whether they are Republican. I want you to argue with them and get in their face.? Actually, Obama supporters are doing a lot more than getting into people?s faces. They seem determined to shut people up.

The Coming Obama Thugocracy

http://article.nationalreview....FmZTIyZWUwZWNkYjk4ZGM=

Obama seems to have lost is warm and fuzzy new politics for Uncle Joe style

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Hey, Butterbrain, does Florida admittedly disenfranchising tens of thousands of voters by mistake (on purpose) even enter into your brain?

midway

Oct 22, 2004
Voter registration fraud is not voter fraud. One is a minor violation and is one because it has no real effect other than some extra paperwork, and one is a felony that can corrupt the electoral system. Guess which one they're investigating ACORN for, yep, the former. ACORN has even noted that they themselves turn in volunteers who they notice to be using fake information, or at least they try to, but the government usually does nothing. Most fake registrations get thrown out, and a LOT of what people are calling "fraudulent" registrations are just people reregistering at the address they already live at. This doesn't give them mythical extra votes. It is also ILLEGAL TO THROW OUT VOTER REGISTRATION FORMS, EVEN ONES SUSPECTED TO BE FAKE and suspicious ones are turned in seperately. Many county voter registrars have a very good working relationship with ACORN. It is in ACORN's best interest to make sure as many of their reg forms are legit. It's standard practice for voter registration because there are many people who don't know if they are registered or not. This entire "scandal" is just Republicans trying to make sure that when they lose they have someone to blame other than their horribly failed policies of the last 8 years.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Man you guys are so corrupt - nothing but excuses. No wonder you vote for Obama the "get in their faces" Marxist racist hackster.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Man you guys are so corrupt - nothing but excuses. No wonder you vote for Obama the "get in their faces" Marxist racist hackster.
You're nut job, even those on the Right think so.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
What forum are they in? I'm sharp as a tack and you know it. Still waiting for you to say something (anything) that's not just an attempt at a snarky dig. Its like 1st grade stuff Red.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
What forum are they in? I'm sharp as a tack and you know it. Still waiting for you to say something (anything) that's not just an attempt at a snarky dig. Its like 1st grade stuff Red.

I'm sure Bush also thinks he's "sharp as a tack"

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Granted you are well schooled in hatred and phobia, it's as if you've been spoon fed that nonsense your whole life.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: techs

I'm sure Bush also thinks he's "sharp as a tack"

But we know hes not - and neither are you.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Granted you are well schooled in hatred and phobia, it's as if you've been spoon fed that nonsense you whole life.

Your really hurting my feeling now. Obama supports sex ed for 5 yr olds and and civil rights for cross dressers. I point it out and certain people go nuts saying its not true. I point out exactly how its true and use Obama's own quotes and then the same people want to kill the messenger - me. Your not a bad guy Red - you resent authority and have rebel streak. Thats good in ways but it will keep you stuck in ways because you'll accept a person who looks like friend because they support your rebellion but they will be trying to scam you.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Regardless if Butterbean likes it or not, the Obama campaign has been a master piece of grass roots political organizing in the finest American tradition. Eugene McCarthy, George McGovern, Gary Hart, Howard Dean, Ron Paul, and countless other politicians of the Independent, Republican , and Democratic persuasions have used like tactics, but it sure looks to be paying off for Obama. That and the fact that any republican swiftboats sent out are swiftly engaged and neutralized helps remove any Obama is a wimp tactics.

As for McCain, not only is he outmatched by Obama, the McCain boat anchor dragging him inexorably down is GWB&co. McCain has tried to energize his base with the Palin pick, as we can see, its supercharged Butterbean, but its alienated the very independent and conservative democrats McCain needs to win. But what has really killed McCain in the polls is the economic meltdown, before the meltdown, McCain stood a change, but now McCains poll numbers are falling faster than the dow. And when the dow gets back to where it was on 9/7/08, McCain might stand a chance, but that ain't going to even come close to happening before 11/4/08.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Your really hurting my feeling now. Obama supports sex ed for 5 yr olds and and civil rights for cross dressers. I point it out and certain people go nuts saying its not true. I point out exactly how its true and use Obama's own quotes and then the same people want to kill the messenger - me. Your not a bad guy Red - you resent authority and have rebel streak. Thats good in ways but it will keep you stuck in ways because you'll accept a person who looks like friend because they support your rebellion but they will be trying to scam you.
Senator Obama supports Age Appropriate sex education for all students, and opposes discrimination based on sexual preferences and gender identity.

When you spin that into "Obamessiah wants to teach kindergartners to masturbate and pound each other in the butt", we start to wonder what your meds are, and when you stopped taking them.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Voter registration fraud is not voter fraud. One is a minor violation and is one because it has no real effect other than some extra paperwork, and one is a felony that can corrupt the electoral system. Guess which one they're investigating ACORN for, yep, the former. ACORN has even noted that they themselves turn in volunteers who they notice to be using fake information, or at least they try to, but the government usually does nothing. Most fake registrations get thrown out, and a LOT of what people are calling "fraudulent" registrations are just people reregistering at the address they already live at. This doesn't give them mythical extra votes. It is also ILLEGAL TO THROW OUT VOTER REGISTRATION FORMS, EVEN ONES SUSPECTED TO BE FAKE and suspicious ones are turned in seperately. Many county voter registrars have a very good working relationship with ACORN. It is in ACORN's best interest to make sure as many of their reg forms are legit. It's standard practice for voter registration because there are many people who don't know if they are registered or not. This entire "scandal" is just Republicans trying to make sure that when they lose they have someone to blame other than their horribly failed policies of the last 8 years.
ACORN is a questionable and far left leaning "advocacy group" that only serves the Democrats and to which Obama has a long relationship.

Read some of the investigations as of late into ACORN activities...you mentioned that it is within ACORN's best interest to ensure that registration forms are legit...ironic that the battleground states are where there is also a peak of fraudulent voting activity attributed to ACORN.

I wouldn't say this is a scandal as of yet, but there is no reason why the media and state officials should not investigate this further...or are the Democrats afraid that the media may grab onto the fraudulent and sometimes intimidation tactics that go along with "community organizing".

Butterbean may be taking the notion to an extreme, but there is truth in the perception that Obama's political leanings and what he says in speeches are two very different things...I hope I am wrong, as he will most likely win the election at this point, but his Far Left fringe associations are a cause for concern for someone selling himself as a moderate change agent.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
his Far Left fringe associations are a cause for concern for someone selling himself as a moderate change agent.
Just goes to prove how much Bush and his supporters have pissed off America that they are willing to take a chance with Obama instead of having 4 more year of the last 8, especially with Sarah Palin a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
his Far Left fringe associations are a cause for concern for someone selling himself as a moderate change agent.
Just goes to prove how much Bush and his supporters have pissed off America that they are willing to take a chance with Obama instead of having 4 more year of the last 8, especially with Sarah Palin a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

Is that why the American people took a chance with Bush 4 years ago? Because Kerry and Edwards were such douche bags? At least Slick had the brains to put his pecker in the other holes to avoid a bastard lovechild.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: winnar111
Is that why the American people took a chance with Bush 8 years ago? Because Kerry and Edwards were such douche bags? At least Slick had the brains to put his pecker in the other holes to avoid a bastard lovechild.
We can always count on winnar to elevate the tone of a discussion...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Is that why the American people took a chance with Bush 8 years ago?
You mean the minority who voted for Bush? It does seem strange that they would vote against a candidate that was part of an extremely successful Administration but they did and look what we got. On the other hand by voting for Obama they are voting against a man who was a strong supporter of a failed Administration. It seems to make more sense to me.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

You mean the minority who voted for Bush? It does seem strange that they would vote against a candidate that was part of an extremely successful Administration but they did and look what we got. On the other hand by voting for Obama they are voting against a man who was a strong supporter of a failed Administration. It seems to make more sense to me.

Extremely successful Administration, eh? No wonder people think liberals and liberal candidates are out of touch!

I made a mistake in my post; 4 years ago a majority voted against the state of Massachusetts and their candidate and correctly branded the place as a festering sh!thole.

Then again sense went out the window when these people voted against Poppy Bush in '92 and put Slick in office in the first place.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
winnar111 can't even get his math correct, eight years ago, GWB&Cheney were opposed by the Gore Lieberman ticket. And in a very close election where Gore and Lieberman got more votes, they lost in the electoral college after some dubious tactics in Florida.

Kerry Edwards came later in 2004.

Right now, many people wish they had their votes back, because, right now, Bush&Cheney could not even win running for dogcatcher with approval numbers around 26%. No President in American history has been that low in the polls for so long.

As nearly everyone in the world is waiting for their backward Bush watches to tick to zero on 1/20/2009. And thats because anyone with a brain in their head realizes that no one could be as bad as GWB& Cheney.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Oh, the irony. The irony.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Extremely successful Administration, eh? No wonder people think liberals and liberal candidates are out of touch!

I made a mistake in my post; 4 years ago a majority voted against the state of Massachusetts and their candidate and correctly branded the place as a festering sh!thole.

Then again sense went out the window when these people voted against Poppy Bush in '92 and put Slick in office in the first place.
Somebody's bitter:laugh:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

Somebody's bitter:laugh:

And doesn't miss the great Clinton economy.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Everyone I know who voted Bush in '04 is flat out embarrassed they did such a thing. He managed to make the last 4 years of his presidency even worse than the first 4 years. He will be remembered as the worst President in modern history. We will still be feeling the effects of his failed policies well into the future.

The Republican Party as it exists today will not be viable in future elections. They simply don't have the numbers on their side to combat the growing minority population in this country that votes overwhelmingly Democratic. This is why CO and NM are now in play, the huge Hispanic population is going near 75% for Obama. There simply is not enough conservative white Americans in this country to win a general election anymore.

We will likely see a complete transformation of the Republican Party or see another group split off. The true fiscal conservatives have no voice in the Republican Party anymore, it appears to be dominated by social conservatives and war hawks. The Democrats would do a lot of good shifting to the right a little bit and becoming a more moderate party in terms of fiscal responsibility. They could pick up a large number of frustrated conservatives.