The Republican Party Is Now in Its End Stages

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Don't have time to read now, it didn't end well for Soviet Union, let's hope US can handle it better, if not, it's in for some rough times.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Did not read it either but the amount of voter suppression bills put up in state legislatures country-wide is epic!

Arizona sez "fuck yer vote"...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
People who act without conscience are the definition of evil. All that is required for evil to win is for good people to do nothing.

Reactions: Muse and hal2kilo

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
People who act without conscience are the definition of evil. All that is required for evil to win is for good people to do nothing.
Who are the good people?
Who are evil?

Right now just about one half of America thinks the other half is evil.
And you know what's really fuckin funny?
THAT HALF thinks the OTHER HALF is evil!!!

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Sorry, but you are all just deluding yourselves.

There are far too many ignorant morons in this country that support them for the GOP to go away like you are hoping. They may have lost a few of those 71,000,000 people that voted for Trump, but it turns out that it is surprisingly difficult to dissuade mean-spirited, nasty people from thinking crazy thoughts and doing/believing crazy things.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Sorry, but you are all just deluding yourselves.

There are far too many ignorant morons in this country that support them for the GOP to go away like you are hoping. They may have lost a few of those 71,000,000 people that voted for Trump, but it turns out that it is surprisingly difficult to dissuade mean-spirited, nasty people from thinking crazy thoughts and doing/believing crazy things.

Reactions: BUTCH1 and Steltek

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Read it.
Feel like I need to to take a step back before really comment.
Need to brush up on my old USSR notes to refresh on 1960-1980's Soviet Union but the following parallels are passing the initial sniff test.

The Republican Party has, for years, ignored the ideas and principles it once espoused, to the point where the 2020 GOP convention simply dispensed with the fiction of a platform and instead declared the party to be whatever Comrade—excuse me, President—Donald Trump said it was.

Like Brezhnev, Trump has grown in status to become a heroic figure among his supporters. If the Republicans could create the rank of “Marshal of the American Republic” and strike a medal for a “Hero of American Culture,” Trump would have them both by now.

A GOP that once prided itself on its intellectual debates is now ruled by the turgid formulations of what the Soviets would have called their “leading cadres,” including ideological watchdogs such as Tucker Carlson and Mark Levin. Like their Soviet predecessors, a host of dull and dogmatic cable outlets, screechy radio talkers, and poorly written magazines crank out the same kind of fill-in-the-blanks screeds full of delusional accusations, replacing “NATO” and “revanchism” with “antifa” and “radicalism.”

The Republican Party is, for now, more of a danger to the United States than to the world. But like the last Soviet-era holdouts in the Kremlin, its cadres are growing more aggressive and paranoid. They blame spies and provocateurs for the Capitol riot, and they are obsessed with last summer’s protests (indeed, they are fixated on all criminals and rioters other than their own) to a point that now echoes the old Soviet lingo about “antisocial elements” and “hooligans.” They blame their failures at the ballot box not on their own shortcomings, but on fraud and sabotage as the justification for a redoubled crackdown on democracy.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/el...lls-would-restrict-voting-wake-trump-n1256821

Reactions: dank69

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Pretty much the GOP is now transitioning into a proto-fascistic cult based around a 'charismatic' ultra-nationalistic, xenophobic, jingoistic, pathologically lying leader similar to what happened in Italy and Germany in the 1920's and 30's

Reactions: jman19

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
That's not really true. You can have places like NK that are both fascist and communist.

Your statement is not really true.

I never said you cant have both in the same country.

BUT, if you actually know these things, if you know politics, if you know society, then fascism and communism are on opposite ends of ideologies.
Also, if you know history, and you know what's going on right now, most of the people who call themselves communists are not even close to actual communists. Its just a label and its horse shit. Like Christians. Most Christians in the 21st century are nothing like Christ. Not even close.

And like I said, it was a general PSA. And I'm now wishing I had not brought it up.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I was thinking of a less inflamatory and more mundane comparator, like the Whigs (US or British variety). Their base of support has just shifted too much and they've become too divided. The context has changed from under them so they don't make sense as a party any more. But the article does seem to make a good case for a more provocative thesis.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The Republican party is NOT as divided as people think. The vast majority is just converting to a fascist Trump party, with a much smaller minority not going along. If only the republican party was as divided as some people say, I'd sleep much better at night.

You might be right about Republican voters, numerically, but I'm not sure it's true if you weight by money and intellectual-influence.

Reactions: iRONic

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Who are the good people?
Who are evil?

There may be some confusion on that front because who is who is a deeply guarded secret. Some know and others think they do. If you should have any further curiosity on this natter let me tell you a story:

It was known in some circles that Mulla Nasrudin knew the secret and he had a disciple who plagued him to tell him it. But the Mulla always refused.

And the hounding and badgering went on and on and on. So one day the Mulla took this student aside and asked him if he were to tell him the secret would keep that secret. The student swore he would, but tha Mulla demanded he affirm that oath over and over again.

Finally the Mulla relented. He said to his disciple, “Know that I can keep a secret as well as you can.”

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
Your statement is not really true.

I never said you cant have both in the same country.

BUT, if you actually know these things, if you know politics, if you know society, then fascism and communism are on opposite ends of ideologies.
Also, if you know history, and you know what's going on right now, most of the people who call themselves communists are not even close to actual communists. Its just a label and its horse shit. Like Christians. Most Christians in the 21st century are nothing like Christ. Not even close.

And like I said, it was a general PSA. And I'm now wishing I had not brought it up.
Look up the definition to both words. They're not opposed in practice or in theory.

Righties and Lefties can both be fascists, but communism is on the political left of the spectrum. This is a pretty bad hill for you to defend.

Reactions: cytg111

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The Republican party is NOT as divided as people think. The vast majority is just converting to a fascist Trump party, with a much smaller minority not going along. If only the republican party was as divided as some people say, I'd sleep much better at night.
They get away with it by not saying the quiet bits out loud. As they become more overtly extreme they get louder about their views. This then turns a bigger number of people away from them as a party.
You are either going to end up with a schism in the political right in the US or a bunch of centre right people are going to be politically disenfranchised with the more centrists being hoovered up by the Democrats.
Either way it doesnt look good for the modern GOP. Cant say I'm upset about that, that party is broken.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
2 weeks ago Mitch said in the Senate Trump was responsible for the insurrection. Today he said on Fox he would support Trump in 2024 if he runs.

Sorry to break it to folks, there is no big division in the GOP. Between voter suppression and the cult like base, they are just a worse form of the GOP now.