The Real, was 9/11 like the lancing of a boil?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I believe that 9/11 was like the lancing of a boil, the discharge of capacitance, a turning point, the breaking of a fever, the dawning of a new day, an apogee, a historical date that marks a transition from one thing to another. On that day a group of men with a very different mindset attacked a symbol of something they saw as an enemy, The WTC and America.

Since that day we have perused them with ruthless determination, taking out, in the process a whole government that saw fit to give them harbor. Pakistan, similarly a safe-house and breading ground for Islamic religious fanaticism has made a choice and begun a crackdown on such elements in their own country.

We saw the brief flowering of hate toward Arabs, Moslems, Indians etc many of whom aren't even remotely like the people who hurt us, but which, because of our frustration we lashed out against. But the Japanese and the President reminded us of what we were in danger of becoming and spoke of the need for tolerance, that all people are entitled to freedom in America. It has helped. Wounds that were opened have in many cases begun to mend.

People all over the world were shocked and horrified. People all over the world began to think, to ask questions, to wonder why. Why are we so hated? How can the human mind become so twisted that lives of people you have never even see, lives, possibly even of cousins or brothers, fellow countrymen, can be taken with the screams of excitement that God is Great? Millions of Moslems suddenly were accused of having a religion of hate, a religion that threatens mankind a religion that can excuse the killing of the non believer.

Some of them say yes and some say no. There has begun a different war, the war for answers. Does God what us dead. Were those falling buildings a triumph of ideal, or a wake up call, an alarm that sounded in the hearts of people everywhere. Oh my God, look what hate hath wrought. Yes world, look what hate can do. Look what your hate, my hate can do. Look and think. The dark seductive road that leads down into hate, on September 11, 2001 suddenly exploded in light and heat illuminating in a single moment what lies down that road. Minds all over the planet saw. In some small way every human being on earth dies as those buildings. Thousands never got back up.

We have begun our armed struggle to right this wrong. We have extended it to Iraq. We are going to stop them from committing similar or much worse crimes. We will take their toys or Saddan and many Iraqis and Americans will die.

Yes there was a turning point. They got our attention and we have begun to wipe them out. I doubt seriously, in their secretive caves, they were afraid. Their caves have become their tombs. It's now Iraq's turn. They got our attention. How sad for them.

But in that war for answers, beyond the cowards attack and massive unimagined retribution, there are, I think, other victories. The real war, the war for the hearts and minds of people, the long slow clime out of ignorance, hate and fear, was given a boost by 9/11. Hate is so easy, so much like a snowball that gathers and grows larger and larger until it burst. And then we see. We see how we are, what we are, and what we can become. And all over the world I think people have thought, mothers have thought, fathers have thought, this must not be. This cannot be what our religion says. This must not be what we show our children. Look how easily we destroy what is so difficult and complex to build. Look, we are insane. This must not be.

Hate, it kills the soul, it destroys the child in the crib, it robs us of our lives. And every one of us knows its so. Yes I think there signs that humanity is poised for change. The Palestinians have rejected their leadership and want a fresh view. Moslems have stepped forward to condemn violence in Allah's name. We are beginning, just beginning I think to see that we are all the same.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Just think, in a couple of years the United Federation of Planets may allow us to apply for membership.

SmackdownHotel

Golden Member
May 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Sluggo
Just think, in a couple of years the United Federation of Planets may allow us to apply for membership.

Ooh, ooh, I wanna apply to Starfleet Academy. :)

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Wow.

Amazing post, Moonbeam.

I've often wondered what has become of 9/11. What have we learned from it? How has it changed us? What did we do on 9/10 that we didn't do on 9/12?

Your post has really brought many of those questions to light and has answered many of them. Will the world truly be a better place after that tragic day?

Let's just hope we don't forget anything we have learned.

thumbs up on that one

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
9/11 was like the lancing of a boil, the discharge of capacitance, a turning point, the breaking of a fever, the dawning of a new day, an apogee, a historical date that marks a transition from one thing to another.
The media recorded two chilling events on Sept. 11th, 2002, the anniversary: 1) a strange wind appeared during the calm and blew over the memorial assemblage at an interesting time; and 2) a winning lotto number was 9-1-1.

The Talking Heads tried to analyze this with reason. Guests including meterologists and statisticians tried to use logic to explain them away but I think those events were proof Moonbeam is on to something. :)

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Thumbs up to an excellent post. I was watching Clinton on Letterman a couple of nights ago, and he said some great things. The main thing to realize when terrorism and war occurs(not to say the two are the same), that lives and humanity are lost. If humanity was put to the forefront of all deals made in the world, then none of these problems would exist. Doesn't mean its too late to start, however.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Moonbeam shines brightly!

I dunno about Iraq. At first I was thinking Bush was a crazy lunatic bent on finishing what his dad started, but now I see things differently. Yes, Saddam needs to be taken out of power (along with the Baath party surrounding him.) But I think this cat was let out of the bag WAY to quickly. You know how it is...Congressmen won't put a bill to a vote unless they have a reasonable idea that it will pass. Bush shouldn't have unleashed this Iraq campaign on the media like he did. It was too much of a struggle to build a coalition and he (or his aides) should have known it. Now this one issue is ruling his agenda and this will come back to haunt him if he can't take action swiftly. At the same time, if he takes action too swiftly, well I shudder to think of the consequences.

EDIT: As for the search for answers...well most of you know that I would see bad karma as the root of all evil. Shedding one's karma is like pushing a rock up a hill. Getting rid of it requires much strength and effort, and if you slip just once, that karma will start rolling back down and as it rolls down it gathers more force, making it bigger and bigger. Combine this with reincarnation, and you can imagine that someone who committed one crime of passion in a past life may come back to commit two. Someone who commits two will come back a serial killer. Eventually man will have to stop looking for answers or someone to blame, and look inside himself and realize he alone has the power to change.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I believe that 9/11 was like the lancing of a boil, the discharge of capacitance, a turning point, the breaking of a fever, the dawning of a new day, an apogee, a historical date that marks a transition from one thing to another. On that day a group of men with a very different mindset attacked a symbol of something they saw as an enemy, The WTC and America.

Since that day we have perused them with ruthless determination, taking out, in the process a whole government that saw fit to give them harbor. Pakistan, similarly a safe-house and breading ground for Islamic religious fanaticism has made a choice and begun a crackdown on such elements in their own country.

We saw the brief flowering of hate toward Arabs, Moslems, Indians etc many of whom aren't even remotely like the people who hurt us, but which, because of our frustration we lashed out against. But the Japanese and the President reminded us of what we were in danger of becoming and spoke of the need for tolerance, that all people are entitled to freedom in America. It has helped. Wounds that were opened have in many cases begun to mend.

People all over the world were shocked and horrified. People all over the world began to think, to ask questions, to wonder why. Why are we so hated? How can the human mind become so twisted that lives of people you have never even see, lives, possibly even of cousins or brothers, fellow countrymen, can be taken with the screams of excitement that God is Great? Millions of Moslems suddenly were accused of having a religion of hate, a religion that threatens mankind a religion that can excuse the killing of the non believer.

Some of them say yes and some say no. There has begun a different war, the war for answers. Does God what us dead. Were those falling buildings a triumph of ideal, or a wake up call, an alarm that sounded in the hearts of people everywhere. Oh my God, look what hate hath wrought. Yes world, look what hate can do. Look what your hate, my hate can do. Look and think. The dark seductive road that leads down into hate, on September 11, 2001 suddenly exploded in light and heat illuminating in a single moment what lies down that road. Minds all over the planet saw. In some small way every human being on earth dies as those buildings. Thousands never got back up.

We have begun our armed struggle to right this wrong. We have extended it to Iraq. We are going to stop them from committing similar or much worse crimes. We will take their toys or Saddan and many Iraqis and Americans will die.

Yes there was a turning point. They got our attention and we have begun to wipe them out. I doubt seriously, in their secretive caves, they were afraid. Their caves have become their tombs. It's now Iraq's turn. They got our attention. How sad for them.

But in that war for answers, beyond the cowards attack and massive unimagined retribution, there are, I think, other victories. The real war, the war for the hearts and minds of people, the long slow clime out of ignorance, hate and fear, was given a boost by 9/11. Hate is so easy, so much like a snowball that gathers and grows larger and larger until it burst. And then we see. We see how we are, what we are, and what we can become. And all over the world I think people have thought, mothers have thought, fathers have thought, this must not be. This cannot be what our religion says. This must not be what we show our children. Look how easily we destroy what is so difficult and complex to build. Look, we are insane. This must not be.

Hate, it kills the soul, it destroys the child in the crib, it robs us of our lives. And every one of us knows its so. Yes I think there signs that humanity is poised for change. The Palestinians have rejected their leadership and want a fresh view. Moslems have stepped forward to condemn violence in Allah's name. We are beginning, just beginning I think to see that we are all the same.

Damn good post.