Discussion The real mistake that AMD made....

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
They should have had only two coolers, the Prism and a water cooler available for every SKU.

I get asked this a lot by people. Seems to be a real miss on AMD's part.

Moved from OT.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The cheap coolers and additional cost to buy a good third party cooler has turned off some would be buyers.

The coolers work fine for the intended use. It is only an issue if you want to oc, which no one covers.

Feb 4, 2009
Cool idea but impractical, would really make inventory management difficult for sellers to keep the same chip with two different part numbers & costs.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Cool idea but impractical, would really make inventory management difficult for sellers to keep the same chip with two different part numbers & costs.
AMD has to do that now though......the wraith spire......wraith prism.....wraith stealth....wraith MAX. Maybe widdle that down to two coolers.

Feb 4, 2009
AMD has to do that now though......the wraith spire......wraith prism.....wraith stealth....wraith MAX. Maybe widdle that down to two coolers.

Aren’t they all chip dependent? As in a 3600 comes with X cooler, 3700x comes with y cooler....
I’m saying having the same chip with two different cooler options would make stock balancing difficult.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Mine came with a Wraith Stealth and it seems fine?
This is what I don't understand. People like you (and I'm NOT saying that you're wrong in any way), are claiming that their Wraith Stealth coolers are fine and adequate (I presume that you have a 3600(X)), and then there are other people (like me), that found them wholly inadequate, and seemingly need 240mm AIO WC or better to tame the heat.

Even with AIO WC, my CPU hits 80C in a very cool room, @ 4.0Ghz / 1.3685V all-core OC, mining on CPU.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
This is what I don't understand. People like you (and I'm NOT saying that you're wrong in any way), are claiming that their Wraith Stealth coolers are fine and adequate (I presume that you have a 3600(X)), and then there are other people (like me), that found them wholly inadequate, and seemingly need 240mm AIO WC or better to tame the heat.

Even with AIO WC, my CPU hits 80C in a very cool room, @ 4.0Ghz / 1.3685V all-core OC, mining on CPU.

... You are ocing and mining and complaining the stock cooler is not good enough...

Reactions: r4sh1d

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, I'm just using mine like a "regular person", no overclocking and no mining.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The cheap coolers and additional cost to buy a good third party cooler has turned off some would be buyers.

Huh? So, what else are these people going to buy? A more expensive Intel?

I would love to see them offer an OEM version with no heat sink at all, but their chips are already cheaper than Intel. If people get turned off because the cheaper option is too costly, then they are welcome to just not buy anything.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005

This is exactly my point. The 3600x should at least include the beefier prism cooler as standard. The extra cooling power and RGB where really good selling points. I get asked about the RGB the most.

Then also offer a water cooler version for more extreme users that they know they attract. Big places like Amazon, Newegg, Microcenter would really have no problem carrying the extra sku number.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
well i think AMD assumes under most conditions, that people will be overclocking the said processor, and you will most definitely either get exotic cooling, like a fully customized liquid, or an Noctua.

Intel even doesn't bother with heat sinks once u get to HEDT line, as they know full hand that sink goes in the recycle bin as soon as you drop in the processor to overclock it.