The Real Howard Dean

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
The real Howard Dean

He is the man most likely to challenge Bush when America goes to the polls, but so far Howard Dean has remained an obscure governor from a remote state. He's probably a typical granola-crunching, latte-sipping liberal, right? Not so, says Jay Parini, who has watched football with him

Monday January 12, 2004
The Guardian

The attention of the world has fastened mightily on Howard Dean, the man most likely to run for president against George Bush in November. I've been watching this drama unfold with fascination from the beginning, when Dean first entered the primary race about a year ago as a long-shot candidate. As an unknown former governor from Vermont, a remote state in rural New England, few observers in the national press took him seriously. Only a few months ago, I heard a television pundit mention his name as if it were some kind of joke. This man is not laughing now.
The primary elections begin in Iowa at the end of this month, and proceed quickly to New Hampshire, spreading around the nation rather quickly after that. By most reckonings, Dean is well positioned to win the nomination. In New Hampshire, the first major primary, the poles uniformly suggest that Dean is running way ahead of his nearest rival, Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts. If he wins in Iowa and New Hampshire, as he probably will, other primary victories will follow as night follows day. In a few months, everyone who follows American politics will know something about Dean.

What amazes me, however, is how obscure he remains at this point in the electoral process. Purveyors of opinion in the national press continue to brand him as a north-eastern liberal, an anti-war activist who will appeal mainly to white, well-educated, granola-crunching and latte-sipping liberals of the type who supported George McGovern in 1972 [McGovern lost by a huge margin to Nixon in the presidential race]. In recent weeks, the infamous McGovern comparison was raised once again by David Brooks, a regular columnist for the New York Times. It's a ridiculous notion, worth discarding as soon as possible.

I write this as a Vermonter who has known Dean personally (as an acquaintance) for many years. Several of my friends worked with him closely when he was governor, as members of his staff or advisers. Only a few weeks ago I had dinner with him and he brought up the McGovern comparison himself, drawing a chuckle from everywhere in the room. Dean is, let me tell you, no George McGovern. He is actually the furthest thing from a typical north-eastern liberal that can be imagined.

A few years ago, I was invited to speak (on the poetry of Robert Frost, believe it or not) to a convention of Vermont judges. I was, shall we say, the light entertainment before lunch. After lunch, Dean was giving a talk. As I was leaving the meeting, the governor came up to me with a grin. "I've just read your latest book of poems," he said. (A mutual friend had sent him a copy.) "You've obviously been reading Roethke." Of course, I was surprised that Dean had taken the trouble to read my poems; but that he rightly detected I had been reading the poetry of Theodore Roethke seemed, at the time, quite stunning.

It is worth recalling that Dean was elected governor of Vermont five times in a row - a tribute to his appeal in this largely rural state. Indeed, there are many more cows than people in Vermont, which has a population of just over half a million people. Pick-up trucks are the vehicle of choice around here, and deer hunting is immensely popular. Dean is popular with the hunters. Indeed, the National Rifle Association has bestowed upon him its highest rating. Every citizen, in Dean's view, has the right (if not the duty) to blow the back end off a buck or doe. Few liberal politicians in the US, I should note, have ever received such positive attention from the National Rifle Association.

During his years as governor, Dean was mainly known as a fierce budget cutter, a proponent of fiscal responsibility. I remember complaining loudly to friends that he was just a Republican in disguise. He balanced the state's budget year after year, even though Vermont does not require a balanced budget, as do many states. My friends in the environmental movement were often unhappy with Dean's refusals to support their cause if it meant spending money or doing anything that might inhibit the growth of business in our state. Dean's own father was a well-known figure on Wall Street, and he grew up among business people, in New York City and Long Island. He understands them well, and is genuinely in sympathy with their needs: not something one could say of George McGovern or most liberal Democrats.

Dean is, I think, a pragmatist without an obvious ideological bent. Trained as a physician, he studies a given situation, assesses the facts, and makes a diagnosis. As governor, he was remarkably decisive, even combative, willing to make cuts in healthcare and education to balance the budget. On the other hand, he strongly backed the idea of universal healthcare, and made sure that medical assistance for Vermont's children under the age of 18 was guaranteed - a real achievement. Famously, he supported the idea of civil unions for gay couples in Vermont, although he did so rather quietly, signing the act presented to him by the legislature behind closed doors. In a sense, this pragmatic governor simply went along with the majority opinion in Vermont, where a substantial gay population exists.

I woke up most mornings for a decade listening to Dean on the radio. He is a talker, and was quoted most mornings on Vermont Public Radio. He is, as most Americans have now gathered, a blunt fellow, prone to shoot from the lip. He often speaks before he thinks. But the good news is that, given a few moments, he can think.

It was, of course, Dean's unambiguous stand against the Iraq war that lifted him into the status of front-runner in the Democratic primaries. He has been able to focus the anger of his party faithful, who have found Bush's "preemptive" war intolerable. Yet it would be a grave mistake to think of Dean as a left-leaning pacifist of some kind. If anything, he is a warrior by nature. He says he would have invaded Afghanistan and attacked al-Qaida without getting waylaid by war in Iraq. As president, he would probably work closely with the UN, as he understands that this is the best way to cultivate American allies in Europe and elsewhere.

He would - as a pragmatist - work to change the conditions on the ground that have made terrorism a live option for so many desperate people, in the Middle East and elsewhere. On the question of Israel and the Palestinians, he says (and got himself into a great deal of trouble here for saying it) that he would be "even-handed". This would certainly mark a radical shift in American policy, which has lopsidedly supported the Israelis.

Dean is a passionate man by nature. Two years ago, I saw a good deal of him when our sons were playing high-school soccer together. He would hurl himself into the games, cheering on his son and the team. He is, I would guess, a fairly straightforward man: a tough, smart fellow with a lot of genuine compassion: he did, after all, choose medicine as a career, and only became governor when the previous one unexpectedly dropped dead from a heart attack. Dean, who was lieutenant governor then (not a full-time job in Vermont), was in his surgery when the call came. He very reluctantly left his busy medical practice behind to assume office.

An old friend of mine was Dean's lawyer and close personal adviser throughout his time as governor. We were having lunch shortly after Dean announced that he was running for president, and I asked him what he thought. "Howard will win," he said. "He is smarter than everybody else, he works harder than everybody else, and he's luckier than everybody else." My own experience of Dean is very much along these lines. He has a long road ahead of him, but he's well equipped for the journey, and he tends to succeed at whatever he attempts.

· Jay Parini, a poet and novelist, lives in Vermont. He is editor of The Oxford Encyclopedia of American Literature.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
How many minorities did he have in his cabinet?

When a state is 97% white and whiter 13 years ago I'm just going to guesss and say not many.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
Once again, people are getting desperate. If he were in Cali or Texas, I'd be a bit curious but comeon, Vermont? We might as well start a debate about the lack of blacks and hispanics in Alaskan government

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: tallest1
Once again, people are getting desperate. If he were in Cali or Texas, I'd be a bit curious but comeon, Vermont? We might as well start a debate about the lack of blacks and hispanics in Alaskan government

Seriously...

Dean's the man...

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
There are literally millions of blacks and Hispanics out there fully qualified to have worked in Dean's cabinet. His failure to include blacks and Hispanics is one of Sharpton's best points. When I hear this old canard about there not being "enough" qualified minorities I am not amused. When are these politicians going to get the message? To me this is a major failing on Dean's part. How is he different on race than Strom Thurmond? Oh, and at least Thurmond had sex with a black woman. :)

-Robert

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

If you married a white woman you have no right to talk. (Moonbeam struggles to find a similar level of relevance.)

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: chess9
There are literally millions of blacks and Hispanics out there fully qualified to have worked in Dean's cabinet. His failure to include blacks and Hispanics is one of Sharpton's best points. When I hear this old canard about there not being "enough" qualified minorities I am not amused. When are these politicians going to get the message? To me this is a major failing on Dean's part. How is he different on race than Strom Thurmond? Oh, and at least Thurmond had sex with a black woman. :)

-Robert

LOL millions of blacks and hispanics? In case you didn't know there is less then half a million people in Vermont. Had dean choosen to import qualified blacks or hispanics I don't think it would go over to well. Rural Vermont doesn't like outsiders.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
If Howard Dean is who this article says he is, then why is he trying so hard to appease the extreme left wing of the Democratic party? You know there's something inherently wrong with a candidate when Zebo supports his nomination.

This is the same Zebo that wants all Americans to be making at least $1 million dollars a year, 0% unemployment, 90% taxation, uncontrollable inflation, and protectionism up the wazoo.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

If you married a white woman you have no right to talk. (Moonbeam struggles to find a similar level of relevance.)

I didn't, so can I talk?

Dec 27, 2001
What a stupid article btw. It's some guys opinion with no factual basis. Shall I start posting every editorial I can find by one of GW's acquaintences who has osme good things to say about him?
rolleye.gif

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari
If Howard Dean is who this article says he is, then why is he trying so hard to appease the extreme left wing of the Democratic party? You know there's something inherently wrong with a candidate when Zebo supports his nomination.

Why would you say that? Because you equate being against the war to the extreme left? Maybe, perhaps thats just his conviction. *gasp*

:Q

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
What a stupid article btw. It's some guys opinion with no factual basis. Shall I start posting every editorial I can find by one of GW's acquaintences who has osme good things to say about him?
rolleye.gif

It's an editorial... They're opinions from a man who knows Dean personally. It's based completely on the history of Dean as governor... How is it not factual?

If you want fiction try reading Ann Culter...

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Spencer:

Are you saying the Governor of the State of Vermont can't hire someone from San Francisco? To hire a few blacks or Hispanics is going to turn off rural Vermonters? Who believes that? YOU? Even Dean didn't give such a lame excuse.

-Robert

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: busmaster11

Why would you say that? Because you equate being against the war to the extreme left? Maybe, perhaps thats just his conviction. *gasp*

:Q

Dean has stolen all of Gephardt's ideas regarding healthcare and welfare. He's appeasing, man.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Spencer:

Are you saying the Governor of the State of Vermont can't hire someone from San Francisco? To hire a few blacks or Hispanics is going to turn off rural Vermonters? Who believes that? YOU? Even Dean didn't give such a lame excuse.

-Robert

There is just no point in doing so. Sure in the south a governor has to go out of his way to pander to black or hispanic vote, but there is no reason to go fly San Francisco just to make some 3% of the population happy.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Spencer:

That isn't what hiring in America should be about, pleasing anyone. It should be about giving folks from a variety of backgrounds an opportunity to work. And its a good business practice for a government leader. Gays, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians etc. buy Vermont's products. Why not put America's face in Vermont government? That's my view. With your approach some cities would have all Black or Hispanic or Asian (a stretch) employees, and that is also dead wrong. Sorry, but we have a long way to go to make up for our sorry practices of 200 years.

Furthermore, that business of pleasing someone is one reason we have so many governmental problems. Most politicians are hunkered down in their little "fox holes" too afraid to speak out. I thought Dean wasn't that way. I may have been wrong, but I'm keeping an open mind.

-Robert

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
Spencer:

-Robert

I would think that governors like to fill their cabinet from people from their own state. They might, you know, know a bit more about the politics of the state.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
If Howard Dean is who this article says he is, then why is he trying so hard to appease the extreme left wing of the Democratic party?

Basic election strategy. Secure the center, get the left to vote, and voilá Bob's yer Uncle :p

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: GrGr
If Howard Dean is who this article says he is, then why is he trying so hard to appease the extreme left wing of the Democratic party?

Basic election strategy. Secure the center, get the left to vote, and voilá Bob's yer Uncle :p

Actually Dean's strategy is the opposite. Rally the base, get them passionate and create a movement. The swing voters will see this passion/excitement and respond positively by joining into that or at least voting for that particular "movement".

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
Spencer:

-Robert

hehe hee, funniest thing I've heard in a while. Pretty soon he'll be asking why Dean didn't hire any Tanzanians to his cabinet, what...has he got something against Africans? No Eskimoes on his cabinet? Bigot!

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
Originally posted by: GrGr

Actually Dean's strategy is the opposite. Rally the base, get them passionate and create a movement. The swing voters will see this passion/excitement and respond positively by joining into that or at least voting for that particular "movement".

The left is already passionately anti-Bush. No way are they going to vote for Bush. On the other hand if Bush looses the center he has no chance of winning. But if Dean comes in from the left with a passionate movement he might scare too many centrists away towards Bush. This election will be decided by the high ground in the center. Bush is so far to the right he will have a hard time getting back towards the middle and a clever strategist should take advantage of that. Dean in many ways is a natural centrist so why not run on his natural strengths, secure the center, rally the left and carry the day :p (That's if he is a good candidate which I haven't decided yet :p)

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
GrGr:

Yes, sound analysis. Except a lot of people are not paying close attention. And the young guys here who say they won't vote for Bush probably won't vote at all. :( Non-voting among Dems is much higher than among Republicans. And older folks, who do vote, tend to vote Republican. Heck, most of my friends make Dari sound like a '60's radical. So, I don't think there are ENOUGH people who see Bush as right wing to turn the election against him YET. Sitting here today I think he wins. Also, Bush is pushing hard towards the middle. Expect to see more of his compassionate conservatism in the next 10 months. This will be a hard fight, but right now it looks to me like Bush is unbeatable. I hope I'm wrong.

-Robert

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
I think Dean has more than a fighting chance. Bush is liked but his policies aren't that popular. If the economy continues to be sluggish or one of the many suppressed scandals in the administration explodes or the situation in Iraq deteriorates further (which looks increasingly likely now that the Shiia are beginning to grow restless and the "liberators" are shooting demonstrators at increasing rates, combined with the upcoming force replacements and new rookies in Iraq) Dean will have a golden opportunity to present himself as a credible alternative. Dean might appear to the public as the candidate Bush pretended to be but wasn't. A centrist candidate able to work with both parties. And if the public decides that they like Dean the person Bush is in trouble. Expect Dean to get the "McCain" treatment from Rove when the going gets tough.

This election will be fascinating. The US is in a pre-fascist stage right now. Can Dean make a dent in the momentum towards fascism?