the real confederate flag

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
With the exception of Boston, NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Hartford, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Madison, Providence, and Newark, most Northern cities aren't really racist though.
WTH? We have racist cities? is that on the voter registration card?:p

mindmajick

Apr 24, 2015
QFT.

My anecdotal evidence....my blond/blue eyed kid didn't know there was a difference between him and the kids he played with at my wife's non profit until Gramps...:rolleyes:...told him. Born/raised in Long Island. "Those black people"...bastard.
I was raised the same way. It was really weird when i realized my friend with the dark tan was supposed to be different than me.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
My grandfather told me that when was serving during WW2 he was introduced to Americans from all over the country and saw all sorts of different semi-cultures. He told me that some from the southern states would insist to him that the Civil War "ain't over yet." Always got a kick out of his stories. :D

i have a few redneck backwoods cousins in Louisiana who believe that shit.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Not really. Slavery was the fundamental issue that broke the camels back. You need not feel shame for what happened, but you should feel shame for hanging on so proudly and dishonestly to that past.

Slavery was a small part of the many issues between the North and South. I have no shame at all. I have done nothing to be shameful for.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
With the exception of Boston, NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Hartford, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Madison, Providence, and Newark, most Northern cities aren't really racist though.

Quoted for Bullshit. Keep telling yourself that.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Old Abe was also a joke and didn't know what to do about any of it. He would have shipped all the blacks off if he could have afforded the cost.

1. Lincoln wasn’t an abolitionist.
Lincoln did believe that slavery was morally wrong, but there was one big problem: It was sanctioned by the highest law in the land, the Constitution.

2. Lincoln didn’t believe blacks should have the same rights as whites.
Though Lincoln argued that the founding fathers’ phrase “All men are created equal” applied to blacks and whites alike, this did not mean he thought they should have the same social and political rights. His views became clear during an 1858 series of debates with his opponent in the Illinois race for U.S. Senate, Stephen Douglas, who had accused him of supporting “negro equality.” In their fourth debate, at Charleston, Illinois, on September 18, 1858, Lincoln made his position clear. “I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races,” he began, going on to say that he opposed blacks having the right to vote, to serve on juries, to hold office and to intermarry with whites. What he did believe was that, like all men, blacks had the right to improve their condition in society and to enjoy the fruits of their labor. In this way they were equal to white men, and for this reason slavery was inherently unjust.

3. Lincoln thought colonization could resolve the issue of slavery.
For much of his career, Lincoln believed that colonization—or the idea that a majority of the African-American population should leave the United States and settle in Africa or Central America—was the best way to confront the problem of slavery.

4. Emancipation was a military policy.
As much as he hated the institution of slavery, Lincoln didn’t see the Civil War as a struggle to free the nation’s 4 million slaves from bondage. Emancipation, when it came, would have to be gradual, and the important thing to do was to prevent the Southern rebellion from severing the Union permanently in two.

5. The Emancipation Proclamation didn’t actually free all of the slaves.
Since Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation as a military measure, it didn’t apply to border slave states like Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri, all of which had remained loyal to the Union.

My note here: The Union had legalised slavery even after the Emancipation Proclamation.

Last edited:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
"A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure, permanently, half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved — I do not expect the house to fall — but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward, till it shall become lawful in all the States, old as well as new — North as well as South."

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/faq/
Q. What caused the Civil War?

While many still debate the ultimate causes of the Civil War, Pulitzer Prize-winning author James McPherson writes that, "The Civil War started because of uncompromising differences between the free and slave states over the power of the national government to prohibit slavery in the territories that had not yet become states. When Abraham Lincoln won election in 1860 as the first Republican president on a platform pledging to keep slavery out of the territories, seven slave states in the deep South seceded and formed a new nation, the Confederate States of America. The incoming Lincoln administration and most of the Northern people refused to recognize the legitimacy of secession. They feared that it would discredit democracy and create a fatal precedent that would eventually fragment the no-longer United States into several small, squabbling countries."

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Old Abe was also a joke and didn't know what to do about any of it. He would have shipped all the blacks off if he could have afforded the cost.

1. Lincoln wasn’t an abolitionist.
Lincoln did believe that slavery was morally wrong, but there was one big problem: It was sanctioned by the highest law in the land, the Constitution.

http://cprr.org/Museum/Ephemera/Republican_Platform_1860.html
Straight from the official Republican Party platform of 1860:
7. That the new dogma that the Constitution of its own force carries slavery into any or all of the territories of the United States, is a dangerous political heresy, at variance with the explicit provisions of that instrument itself, with cotemporaneous exposition, and with legislative and judicial precedent, is revolutionary in its tendency and subversive of the peace and harmony of the country.

8. That the normal condition of all the territory of the United States is that of freedom; that as our republican fathers, when they had abolished slavery in all our national territory, ordained that no "person should be deprived of life, liberty or property, without due process of law," it becomes our duty, by legislation, whenever such legislation is necessary, to maintain this provision of the constitution against all attempts to violate it; and we deny the authority of congress, of a territorial legislature, or of any individuals, to give legal existence to slavery in any territory of the United States.

9. That we brand the recent re-opening of the African Slave Trade, under the cover of our national flag, aided by perversions of judicial power, as a crime against humanity, and a burning shame to our country and age, and we call upon congress to take prompt and efficient measures for the total and final suppression of that execrable traffic.

The civil war was fought because of slavery. Accept it and move on with your life.

Slavery was a small part of the many issues between the North and South. I have no shame at all. I have done nothing to be shameful for.

You can choose for yourself, that's your right to do so. All I will say is if I had written what you have in this thread, I would very much so be ashamed.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

If you believe slavery was a 'small part' of why the civil war happened you are a deeply ignorant individual.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
No Chicago is in Illinois, squarely in the north -- you know, the part of the country that beat the piss out of the hillbilly inbreds, and continues to drag them, kicking and screaming, into the the 21st century.

Yeah, right. I believe that about as much as I believe 3,400 black babies were killed in Chicago. Take your dishonest, disingenuous schtick, lube it up with some Heritage Foundation Santorum, and shove it right up your pee hole.

Anger issues much?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Just to keep it straight the damn yankees started it when they refused to leave Fort Sumter. The south wanted a peaceful secession..
[snip]

'

We're right back where we were, the South started it. Bunch of violent traitors.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The civil war was fought, as all wars are fought, because of self hate, the conditioning that takes place in childhood to make children safe from being put down as being different by lovingly putting them down first, violently of course, so they DO conform to hazily defined and mystically worshiped cultural norms. The need for our children to succeed as culturally representative and worthy of respect as adults by the violence of discipline creates armies of marching morons who will kill in the name of their own cultural norms. In the case of the South, the norm that came forth to be defended religiously, was of course slavery. The external causes may vary but the internal process and psychology always remain the same. The only thing that can prevent the mass psychosis of war is to die to ones personal ego identification. There is only one enemy and it is the ego self, the self we all had to become to survive the threat of the total withdrawal of love as children.

This is the most deeply hidden secret there is, so seemingly improbable in fact, you will pass right on and over it. Humanity does not want to awaken.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
http://cprr.org/Museum/Ephemera/Republican_Platform_1860.html
Straight from the official Republican Party platform of 1860:

The civil war was fought because of slavery. Accept it and move on with your life.

You can choose for yourself, that's your right to do so. All I will say is if I had written what you have in this thread, I would very much so be ashamed.

The Republican Party Platform doesn't equal the Constitution.

Article 1 Section 2 of the Constitution at the time ( before the 14th amendment:

(Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, ** three fifths of all other Persons.)

** Those would be the slaves.

No.

I haven't written anything in the thread that is shameful. You must be a Pus.

Last edited: